Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New information surrounding global warming

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: New information surrounding global warming

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    How so? There's not really enough of it about to pose any threat. One of the nice oddities about the universe, that.
    I just read an article indicating that there may be very much more of it lying around than previously expected.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I just read an article indicating that there may be very much more of it lying around than previously expected.
    That might be good news in a way, the fact that there's so little of it about is one of the big unsolved problems of science. There doesn't seem to be any real explanation for why the universe is almost entirely matter.

Certainly we're not likely to endanger ourselves with it. If you took all the antimatter ever created by science, put it in one place and let it blow it would release about as much energy as striking a match.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Which would, of course, exacerbate climate change...

Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Which would, of course, exacerbate climate change...

OMG, we're all going to die!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    OMG, we're all going to die!
    Don't panic - I bought 2 hats last time I read a thread in here so you can borrow the spare

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by malakbal View Post
    Anti-matter will probably kill us before global warming
    Whenever I read comments like these (and denialist comments in general) I never know whether to treat them seriously or as sarcasm.

To deny climate change and global warming, at this point, can only be called willful ignorance. It's no different than insisting that the sun orbits the earth, that the earth is flat, or that dinosaurs couldn't fit on the ark. Politics has nothing to do with it. You either know the science or you don't.

The really interesting thing is to go back in time and see what happened to the earth the last time CO2 levels reached levels like these. It wasn't pretty. Denialists can brush off notions of mass extinctions (which humans would be hard-pressed to survive) but this is precisely what happened.

Consider this about the Permian Extinction:

"While the causes of this global catastrophe are unknown, an MIT-led team of researchers has now established that the end-Permian extinction was extremely rapid, triggering massive die-outs both in the oceans and on land in less than 20,000 years — the blink of an eye in geologic time. The researchers also found that this time period coincides with a massive buildup of atmospheric carbon dioxide, which likely triggered the simultaneous collapse of species in the oceans and on land."

And consider this recent and suggestive finding:

"The Permian period was hot, hot, hot: Around 270 million years ago, air temperatures near the equator may have soared to almost 74º Celsius or 165º Fahrenheit, scientists report March 18 in Geology. That’s far hotter than anywhere on Earth today."

Sea levels, as it turns out, were not 5 feet, or 16 feet, or 25 feet, or 38 feet, or 50 or 60 or 70, but 80 to 90 feet higher than today.We're not talking about the disappearance of a few coastlines. These things actually happened and it's the very pinnacle of scientific ignorance to think they can't happen again.

As God once asked Bill Cosby, "How long can you tread water?"

At this point, the only way out of this mess is to actively reduce CO2 levels, not just passively, but comprehending this necessity just isn't here yet. But it will be. Guaranteed. No doubt about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does this only study concern Carbon dioxide? When people talk about greenhouse gases released as a result of global warming, they usually refer to Methane, which is a greenhouse gas many times as powerful as CO2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_methane_release

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Does this only study concern Carbon dioxide? When people talk about greenhouse gases released as a result of global warming, they usually refer to Methane, which is a greenhouse gas many times as powerful as CO2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_methane_release
    In the case of the Permian Extinction, there's compelling evidence suggesting that the warming caused by CO2 led to the massive release of methane trapped in the seafloor. Reason: The die off of land animals apparently preceded sea-life. Sea life shouldn't have suffered the same die off, but fossilization mirrors what one would expect due to massive releases of underwater methane (which robs oxygen from the water). There's a series you can find on Youtube called "Catastrophe", here's Snowball Earth. The third, I think, is where you will find the latest research on the Permian Extinction.

Everything that's going to happen if human beings don't change their behavior has already happened before. It's all written in the rocks.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; June 2nd, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    In the case of the Permian Extinction, there's compelling evidence suggesting that the warming caused by CO2 led to the massive release of methane trapped in the seafloor. Reason: The die off of land animals apparently preceded sea-life. Sea life shouldn't have suffered the same die off, but fossilization mirrors what one would expect due to massive releases of underwater methane (which robs oxygen from the water). There's a series you can find on Youtube called "Catastrophe", here's Snowball Earth. The third, I think, is where you will find the latest research on the Permian Extinction.

Everything that's going to happen if human beings don't change their behavior has already happened before. It's all written in the rocks.
    So, you are telling me that the permian life forms did not change their behavior and it led to their extinction?

I firmly believe that man should do what it can to not 'add' to any natural cycle of warming or cooling, but I am still not sold that man is the cause. The Permian extinction supports both the fact that 'we have an issue' and the fact that it might not be caused by man.

There are articles talking about the sun being part of the cause:
    http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...ole-in-global/
    http://wakeup-world.com/2011/09/02/c...ed-by-the-sun/

There are of course articles disputing those above.

What impact does the change in the earth's rotation have?
    What about the Earth's orbit... I have read that it is getting further from the sun.

There are a great many factors... playing the 'blame' game just makes people argue the point. Simply stating that global warming is happening and that it is bad is enough. Then identify what man might be able to do to slow the process down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post

Can you explain what the dinosaurs etc did to cause this global warming , during the Permian period? Yep I'm a bit sceptical about "Man made" climate change. I reckon it's a cyclical thing , over which we have very little (if any) control whatsoever. However, our politicians will find a way to extract even more money from us, meanwhile.

PS I see a lot of governments have introduced a so called "Carbon Tax" Very apt that all life on earth is carbon based then isn't it.
    Last edited by jockyburns; June 3rd, 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast