Thread: Limit access to certain programs/ time limit computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Limit access to certain programs/ time limit computer

I have a lack of willpower. Finals are approaching. Is there an easy way in Ubuntu to limit access to certain programs, to time programs, or to do anything else like that? Any programs that would help that could be installed via repository?

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Limit access to certain programs/ time limit computer

Use the standard access rights - owner/group/world to limit access. Put people who can access in a group - set the priviledges accordingly.

I know in standard Unix there is a way to time limit access. I have never looked into this in Linux.

Beans

Re: Limit access to certain programs/ time limit computer

Quote Originally Posted by brandoncolorado View Post
    I have a lack of willpower. Finals are approaching. Is there an easy way in Ubuntu to limit access to certain programs, to time programs, or to do anything else like that? Any programs that would help that could be installed via repository?
    I'm interested in this as well!
    Did some searching on the web, apparently i cant browse or howtos are not available.

Beans

Look at Cyborg and Cybercafe.

Cheers,

Herman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post

Cheers,

Herman
    Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post

Cheers,

Herman
    Thanks, but i was looking for something more small-scale.

I tried configuring pam_time, as to limit the login time of user 'gamer'. Say i want 'gamer' to only login* between 20:00 and 21:00 everyday. I made these changes to /etc/security/time.conf and /etc/pam.d/kdm.

Also, only user 'gamer' has 'chown' rights to run games.

*This means 'gamer' can keep on playing after 21:00. Someone spoke of a cron script to logout the user at 21:00 precisely. Also, is it possible to block http for user 'gamer'?

I used pam before succesfully, but now i cant get it started

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Allochtoon View Post
    Thanks, but i was looking for something more small-scale.

I tried configuring pam_time, as to limit the login time of user 'gamer'. Say i want 'gamer' to only login* between 20:00 and 21:00 everyday. I made these changes to /etc/security/time.conf and /etc/pam.d/kdm.

Also, only user 'gamer' has 'chown' rights to run games.

*This means 'gamer' can keep on playing after 21:00. Someone spoke of a cron script to logout the user at 21:00 precisely. Also, is it possible to block http for user 'gamer'?

I used pam before succesfully, but now i cant get it started
    Anyone?

Beans

Anything ever come of this?
    As a parent, I seek a password protected time limit control, that I can specify the hours of each day user can go online. If my kid is using the word processor, ok... but I want to limit online access to certain hours and to a certain total amount each day.
    But I don't want to have to use Windows to get this. Were about to order 4 laptops for our 4 kids, but deciding between XP and Linux comes down to this factor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoward68 View Post
    Anything ever come of this?
    As a parent, I seek a password protected time limit control, that I can specify the hours of each day user can go online. If my kid is using the word processor, ok... but I want to limit online access to certain hours and to a certain total amount each day.
    But I don't want to have to use Windows to get this. Were about to order 4 laptops for our 4 kids, but deciding between XP and Linux comes down to this factor.
    https://launchpad.net/timekpr