Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java Performance Windows 7 vs. Linux

Beans

Java Performance Windows 7 vs. Linux

Has anyone done any benchmarks on Java 6/7 performance on Windows 7 vs. Linux? This video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXOMw9bQoPU

Claims that Java performs much slower in Linux vs. Windows. (However, obviously that test is heavy on graphics and I would guess it comes down to graphics driver optimization.) But for non-graphics applications (data mining), would Linux be much slower than Windows? Fortunately, I can run on either platform without having to recompile so it's not a big deal, just curious if anyone has studied Java 6/7 performance Win vs. Linux.

Beans

Re: Java Performance Windows 7 vs. Linux

I'm pretty sure the difference really is about the graphics. Assuming the same machine, The JVM JIT-compiles the same code which then runs on the CPU... I can't imagine the rest of the Java runtime having huge differences in performance between OSes.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans

I've stopped using Java as a plugin for browsers. I isn't secure.

What things do you guys need to use Java for? Since I've uninstalled it, I haven't found a single thing I need it for (thankfully)!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by litiform View Post
    What things do you guys need to use Java for? Since I've uninstalled it, I haven't found a single thing I need it for (thankfully)!
    I use Java at work on (mostly Linux) servers to run major infrastructure that runs our world as we know it, as do a lot of other people.

Beans

Minecraft.

Seriously, Java is a lot more useful NOT in a browser. Android comes to mind. So does JSP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    So does JSP.
    ... and so does whatever you end up seeing in that JSP, or hopefully not within a JSP anymore in this day and age.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    I'm pretty sure the difference really is about the graphics. Assuming the same machine, The JVM JIT-compiles the same code which then runs on the CPU... I can't imagine the rest of the Java runtime having huge differences in performance between OSes.
    How about a pure calculations program? Just a lot of calculations in a lot of data in arrays, would you expect big different?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Watching the video, I'm curious how he installed Linux. Is he running Wubi? Also, Linux Mint is one of the slowest (the slowest?) Linux distros I've used.

I do have a laptop running Intel graphics, and Java games as well as native games run great. Java performance seems very good, I use OpenJDK 7, though not in the browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by litiform View Post
    I've stopped using Java as a plugin for browsers. I isn't secure.

Android development, servers, some GUI apps. The JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is probably the single most portable and scalable development environment, alot of infrastructure runs on the JVM. I personally use Clojure, not Java the language, but Java the environment is incredibly useful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixcuxx View Post
    How about a pure calculations program? Just a lot of calculations in a lot of data in arrays, would you expect big different?
    No, I would actually expect them to run pretty much all the same. This of course assumes that it really is just JVM internal stuff being used and not much system calls to the OS, after which things would become OS-dependent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast