Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

LG CX245

Works like a charm.

Only one problem...if I try to use xscreensaver it totally wigs out on me.Locks the screen at random when in range,won't lock when out of range and if it does it doesn't automatically unlock.

Gnome Screensaver works fine...anyone have it working with xscreensaver?
    What color do Smurfs turn when you choke em?

Beans

This sounds really cool, except (I'm a newbie) I wonder what my computer will need to transmit and receive the blue-tooth signal? or is it built in? I am on a WIRED not wireless network, does this matter?
    Can anyone answer me?
    Thanks

Beans

This is probably one of the coolest tricks I have seen in a long time.

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer...

Knowing that there are 2 Bluetooth hardware standards 1.x and 2.x for both the phone and on the laptop, couldn't the kernel drivers considered "generic" regardless of manufacturers' implementation?

I have a Dell Latitude D620 w/ the built-in bluetooth module and a HTC S620. I have not tried this since I just re-installed 7.10 and I am waiting for my replacement HTC S620.

I just want to throw that out there to get some gears moving (or grinding)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by HisEm View Post
    This sounds really cool, except (I'm a newbie) I wonder what my computer will need to transmit and receive the blue-tooth signal? or is it built in? I am on a WIRED not wireless network, does this matter?
    Can anyone answer me?
    Thanks
    Some coputers have bluetooth built-in, mainly laptops to my knowledge. I use this on a stationary computer and a simple bluetooth usb dongle. They can be bough cheap, I imagine $10-$20 and are usefull for other things as well.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is perfect. I can't wait to try it. I had a similar idea myself but was thinking about using biometrics (fingerprint reader) as a *-screensaver unlocker but wasn't sure how I was going to implement automatic locking. This is even better, not to mention I wasn't having much luck in my research.

Oh, I don't know if it's been mentioned.... but must feel to point out the obvious regardless: this is a pretty large security risk if someone with physical access to your machine (and your phone) knew of this security hole. Admit it, that's basically what this is. Perhaps it would at least slightly more secure to limit the unlock distance to 1 (or whatever lowest value it takes)... and with a desktop machine, put the bluetooth antenna in hidden location. Just an idea.
    Athlon64 X2 6000+, M2N-SLI Deluxe, 2gb Corsair XMS3200, 7600GT/6600GT

Beans

This worked perfectly for me. Just had to add that I can confirm it works for the Samsung X820. Are there any other possible uses for it other than locking the computer, gaim, light switching etc? Prehaps some sort of shell script integration? Any ideas, I'm sure there is a lot of potential for this.

Beans

Great Idea! I'm going to try this tonight with a Samsung A930.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

LG F2400 is confirmed and a cheap usb bluetooth dongle is enough

Initially had some trouble pairing my phone. Used: http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...s_under_Ubuntu to get it done.

Got it working nice and stable with the LG F2400 (known for its unstable bluetooth support). I had to set the distance between 8 and 13 because of the unstable signal. I use a cheap usb bluetooth dongle (9 euros) from icidu which could also be responsible for the unstable distance readings. It locks and unlocks at about 3 meters with these settings.

Beans

I'm using an LG Voyager, and this process does work on it. The only thing is that the phone treats my computer as a bluetooth headset, so I'm not getting any sound on my phone unless I manually switch to audio on phone for every call. I don't know if this is a phone setting or a computer setting, but can anyone help me out with this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by shortguy View Post
    I'm using an LG Voyager, and this process does work on it. The only thing is that the phone treats my computer as a bluetooth headset, so I'm not getting any sound on my phone unless I manually switch to audio on phone for every call. I don't know if this is a phone setting or a computer setting, but can anyone help me out with this?
    I'm relatively new to linux but i'll try. I've seen a setting in the bluetooth preferences GUI, System->Preferences->Bluetooth preferences, which might help you (see screenshot). I've got three options, unspecified (default), desktop workstation, laptop computer. Maybe setting one of these will help you?

I've got amarok and pidgin interaction working also. I've written the following snippets.

First you'll need to install purple-remote to be able to change the status of pidgin:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libpurple-bin
    Next you'll need to make two scripts, i've called them proximity-lock.sh and proximity-unlock.sh. But you can rename them to anything you like.

Lock
    Code:
    gedit ~/Scripts/proximity-lock.sh
    and paste the following:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

gnome-screensaver-command -l
    amarok --pause
    purple-remote setstatus?status=away
    Save and close

Unlock
    Code:
    gedit ~/Scripts/proximity-unlock.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

gnome-screensaver-command -dp
    amarok --play-pause
    purple-remote setstatus?status=available
    Save and close.

Now make these scripts executable by setting the appropriate permissions with nautilus or the following commands

Code:
    chmod 755 ~/Scripts/proximity-lock.sh
    chmod 755 ~/Scripts/proximity-unlock.sh
    Now go to your blueproximity settings and at the locking tab change the lock command to
    Code:
    ~/Scripts/proximity-lock.sh
    and the unlock command to
    Code:
    ~/Scripts/proximity-unlock.sh
    or the equivalent.

This should do the trick, but i'm no Linux wizard so maybe i'm missing something here... Some may argue this is useless but i like being lazy and being nice to the neighbours
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	60597  
    Last edited by Kalenjin; February 24th, 2008 at 02:21 AM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast