Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trouble connecting to .psu.edu from home network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

still having problems

here's my issue

i can't connect to the .psu.edu domain from my laptop on my home network, but i can get on any other website. and i can get on it from a windows computer on the same home network. and even weirder, if i go to school and try to get on the .psu.edu domain from my laptop, it works. so the problem is with my laptop on my home network and its only with the .psu.edu domain.

any ideas would be appreciated

running 8.10 with wicd
    Last edited by lmm5247; March 30th, 2009 at 03:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: still having problems

anyone?

Beans

Re: trouble connecting to .psu.edu from home network

I'm having the same exact problem, and literally posted earlier today on this, but have yet to find a solution. Can you ping the IP address? Will pinging the domain sometimes work? What wireless card, what router?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mech_tigerhawk View Post
    I'm having the same exact problem, and literally posted earlier today on this, but have yet to find a solution. Can you ping the IP address? Will pinging the domain sometimes work? What wireless card, what router?
    its driving me crazy because i have to go downstairs to check my email!

system>administration>network tools>ping
    the screen just goes gray and freezes so i guess i cant ping it

wireless card
    Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

router
    d-link dir-655

Beans

Ping it from a terminal. Just run the command:
    ping -c 5 146.186.15.17

This simply does the same thing as that but is a little better. 146.186.15.17 is psu.edu's IP address, -c 5 pings 5 times. Also try pinging psu.edu instead. Sometimes it would ping it, but most of the time it would just say unknown host.

I'm also assuming that it isn't hardware, because I have an Atheros card and a Netgear router, and at first I was assuming it was the crappy Netgear router.

The other thing I should point out is that it seems to be a DNS problem, but every other computer connected to the network can find PSU sites just fine, and since the router gets domains resolved from the ISP, it doesn't quite make sense that it singles out one computer.
    Last edited by mech_tigerhawk; March 30th, 2009 at 05:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just to be clear - are you typing psu.edu or .psu.edu? The second one is an invalid name because of the leading dot. If you are typing a valid name then try a name lookup from the terminal,

nslookup nsu.edu

If that gives a valid ip address then FF should also work. If that gives something wonky then you have a problem with DNS. If so, post your /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts file here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mech_tigerhawk View Post
    Ping it from a terminal. Just run the command:
    ping -c 5 146.186.15.17

This simply does the same thing as that but is a little better. 146.186.15.17 is psu.edu's IP address, -c 5 pings 5 times. Also try pinging psu.edu instead. Sometimes it would ping it, but most of the time it would just say unknown host.

I'm also assuming that it isn't hardware, because I have an Atheros card and a Netgear router, and at first I was assuming it was the crappy Netgear router.

The other thing I should point out is that it seems to be a DNS problem, but every other computer connected to the network can find PSU sites just fine, and since the router gets domains resolved from the ISP, it doesn't quite make sense that it singles out one computer.

logan@logan-laptop:~$ ping -c 5 146.186.15.17
    PING 146.186.15.17 (146.186.15.17) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 146.186.15.17: icmp_seq=1 ttl=248 time=12.0 ms
    64 bytes from 146.186.15.17: icmp_seq=2 ttl=248 time=15.7 ms
    64 bytes from 146.186.15.17: icmp_seq=3 ttl=248 time=15.4 ms
    64 bytes from 146.186.15.17: icmp_seq=4 ttl=248 time=13.2 ms
    64 bytes from 146.186.15.17: icmp_seq=5 ttl=248 time=12.9 ms

--- 146.186.15.17 ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4014ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 12.060/13.884/15.760/1.447 ms
    logan@logan-laptop:~$

the ping works but i still cant get onto the site =/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BkkBonaza View Post
    Just to be clear - are you typing psu.edu or .psu.edu? The second one is an invalid name because of the leading dot. If you are typing a valid name then try a name lookup from the terminal,

nslookup nsu.edu

If that gives a valid ip address then FF should also work. If that gives something wonky then you have a problem with DNS. If so, post your /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts file here.
    i'm typing psu.edu (the main site) but there are also lots of other sites like:
    webmail.psu.edu
    cms.psu.edu
    webaccess.psu.edu

that is why i left the dot on the beginning but ya i understand what you're saying heres the results of nslookup psu.edu

logan@logan-laptop:~$ nslookup psu.edu
    ;; Got recursion not available from 128.118.25.3, trying next server
    ;; Got recursion not available from 130.203.1.4, trying next server
    Server: 192.168.0.1
    Address: 192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: psu.edu
    Address: 146.186.15.17
    Address: 146.186.16.57
    Address: 128.118.142.105
    Address: 128.118.142.114
    Address: 128.118.146.130
    Address: 128.118.146.135
    Address: 146.186.157.8

logan@logan-laptop:~$

is that normal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It's the same answer I get here (but different order, probably due to round robin setup at DNS).
    Try posting your /etc/hosts file, or at least checking if there is anything at all in there related to psu.edu.
    If you type any of the ips given by nslookup into the browser do they work correctly?
    I checked the domain on opendns.com cache check and it says the result is valid.
    I'm curious if one of the ips is having trouble and for some reason just your laptop is using the bad one.

btw I don't get any results about recursion not available - so not sure what's up with that.
    also nslookup appears to be asking your router (192.168.0.1) which presumably is configured to ask your isp nameserver. It may be good to check just what the router is asking. If some exploit was perpetrated that poisoned the dns ip then you could be getting "bad" ips for any number of names - most worrisome being ones for banks and paypal etc.
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; March 30th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's the same answer I get here (but different order, probably due to round robin setup at DNS).
    Try posting your /etc/hosts file, or at least checking if there is anything at all in there related to psu.edu.
    If you type any of the ips given by nslookup into the browser do they work correctly?
    I checked the domain on opendns.com cache check and it says the result is valid.
    I'm curious if one of the ips is having trouble and for some reason just your laptop is using the bad one.

btw I don't get any results about recursion not available - so not sure what's up with that.
    also nslookup appears to be asking your router (192.168.0.1) which presumably is configured to ask your isp nameserver. It may be good to check just what the router is asking. If some exploit was perpetrated that poisoned the dns ip then you could be getting "bad" ips for any number of names - most worrisome being ones for banks and paypal etc.

heres the etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 logan-laptop

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

i cant try those other ip addresses right now cause i'm at school and it will work. so i'll go home later tonight and try.

also, what do you mean by this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast