Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Build the BitTorrent client Transmission under Karmic Koala

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the BitTorrent client Transmission under Karmic Koala

For checkinstall, you probably want to do something like this.
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall -D --fstrans=yes \
    --pkgname=transmission --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes  --default \
    --provides=transmission-cli,transmission-daemon,transmission-common,transmission-gtk \
    --pkgversion='`grep "LONG_VERSION_STRING" libtransmission/version.h | cut -d"\"" -f2 | cut -d" " -f1`'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Longinus00 View Post
    For checkinstall, you probably want to do something like this.
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall -D --fstrans=yes \
    --pkgname=transmission --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes  --default \
    --provides=transmission-cli,transmission-daemon,transmission-common,transmission-gtk \
    --pkgversion='`grep "LONG_VERSION_STRING" libtransmission/version.h | cut -d"\"" -f2 | cut -d" " -f1`'
    What is the difference? Andrew.46's solution works fine for me .

Beans

Hi Longinus00,

Thanks for your suggestions. Two small points though:

Code:
    checkinstall -D
    This is given as a default in Ubuntu, have a look in /etc/checkinstallrc, so does not normally need to be given. The other point:

Code:
    --fstrans=yes
    I believe in Karmic Koala this option is still broken and by default, again in /etc/checkinstallrc, this is turned off. The newest version of checkinstall has apparently solved this old problem but I will admit I have not tested this yet.

Thanks for your trouble,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks a lot for this great tutorial.

Beans

Hi leonardo,

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo_neo View Post
    Thanks a lot for this great tutorial.
    No problems, glad it has been useful .

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another successful install this time on 9.04 headless box with Transmission 1.90. One small suggestion being a novice *nix user I had to look up some of the commands I was using before I actually used them on my system (not that I didn't trust it, but just for my knowledge). If you have time you may want to add a brief description before each command. If not no big deal. Thanks again!!
    Asus
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 4GB DDR2
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

Beans

Hi prem1er,

Quote Originally Posted by prem1er View Post
    Another successful install this time on 9.04 headless box with Transmission 1.90. One small suggestion being a novice *nix user I had to look up some of the commands I was using before I actually used them on my system (not that I didn't trust it, but just for my knowledge). If you have time you may want to add a brief description before each command. If not no big deal. Thanks again!!
    Glad the guide has proved helpful to you . I shall update to 1.90 this weekend, I had not realised that a new version had arrived! When I do this I shall do as you have suggested and add a few explanatory notes...

All the best,

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm playing around with a lot of the new features on here and getting more comfortable with the application. Since 1.8.0 was released, lots of things have changed with the way the application is configured and run. If anyone is interested I would be willing to put together some knowledge base on getting Transmission 1.8.0+ configured on a headless ubuntu server (or for anyone who wants to take advantage of the web interface). If anyone here has yet to upgrade their version of Transmission, I highly suggest using version 1.90 (which works perfectly with andrew.46's tutorial) , as it has a ton of new features and has also fixed bugs that were causing bans on the 1.80 software from many private torrent sites.
    Asus
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 4GB DDR2
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

Beans

Hi prem1er,

Quote Originally Posted by prem1er View Post
    If anyone is interested I would be willing to put together some knowledge base on getting Transmission 1.8.0+ configured on a headless ubuntu server (or for anyone who wants to take advantage of the web interface).
    I for one would be keen to see such information. I am building a headless server shortly and certainly using transmission in this way would be very new to me. BTW you may have noticed a new notification system is now possible for Transmission with support for libappindicator. I have not added this in but looks like the required libraries for Karmic can be found here. I suspect I will wait for Lucid before experimenting myself and I see that the Lucid repository version will have this support built in.

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; February 19th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Thank you andrew.46! I followed your guide on Ubuntu 9.10, and it worked perfectly! Now I have the latest version, much appreciated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast