Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDE drive not spinning up or seen in bios

Beans

Angry IDE drive not spinning up or seen in bios

Hello,

I had an IDE hitachi 500 GB in a Dell 2400. I took it out and put it in a Dell 4800. The 4800 only had SATA so I plugged the drive in question into the CD ROM IDE cable. It still did not show up in the bios of the 4800, even after fiddling with the setup utility and jumpers.

So I put it back into the 2400 and it will not show up on the bios of original computer. I have tried new cables, different power cords (verified voltage with meter) and it won't spin. I then tried it in a different computer that has an ide cable. Still not spin, no bios recognition

It was working yesterday just fine, did I wait a day too long to back up/clone this drive? Is there any way to temporarily breathe life into it to have UBCD and clonezilla work their magic?

Thanks if you can help, if you are the bearer of bad news, I still need to hear it

Best regards,

Lee

Beans

Re: IDE drive not spinning up or seen in bios

I have same problem, many years ago
    check your drive with some other system
    also make trust about IDE cable connector , many problem of IDE device , refer to IDE cable
    you must check your device by changing all parameters
    in the first step your parameters is : power(no matter what kind) , IDE Cable , and IDE Slot on your board

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tiosus View Post
    I have same problem, many years ago
    check your drive with some other system
    also make trust about IDE cable connector , many problem of IDE device , refer to IDE cable
    you must check your device by changing all parameters
    in the first step your parameters is : power(no matter what kind) , IDE Cable , and IDE Slot on your board
    it's better to run test by using new IDE and Power connectors
    so just go and find a pc that can run test on it

Beans

Oh , i forgot to say that also the jumpers count as parameters

Beans

Check your master / slave settings if you changed them. If you rememner what the orginal ones were set them back and try again. I use the middle connector on an ide cable as master connector and set the device to master ( on rear of device a little connector is changed to select rhis ).

Hope this helps a little.

Beans

Smile Re: IDE drive not spinning up or seen in bios

finally you have 1 IDE device + 2 IDE cable + 2 power + 2 IDE Slot on motherboard + at least 3 jumper position
    and by changing this parameters you can create 1*2*2*2*3= 24 situation
    if no change made during this 24 situation , Probably your device is gone! or you can contact whit support center of device Warranty

Beans

Ok guys!

I have tried it in the original computer again, the Dell 2400. It only has one IDE slot, and came with a single cable for master only. I tried it with the jumpers in the master as well as the cable select positions. I then tried it with a different cable, with jumpers in both master and cable select positions.

I then tried it in another tower that supports IDE drives. with the same as above two different cables in both the master and cable select jumper positions.

It still says no drive 0 found press f1 to continue or f2 to enter utility. I can tell it is not even spinning up.

I will try an ide to sata adapter tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick replies, hopefully someone knows what i did wrong to the drive

Regards,

Lee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try some tools to repair/recover the data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...overy_software
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans

It sounds like something has either happened to this drive (mechanically) or the controller board has failed.

I know something I tried years ago on a drive was to put it in the freezer (yes, I said freezer) for 1 hour. I'm not sure this would work in your scenario or not considering you have no "spin up" on the drive.

You can and should simply connect this drive to power and turn the system on.. Does it spin up? This removes from the equation any other settings, jumper, bios, etc from the drive and is strictly power.. If you get no spinny, then you can, as the other poster stated, try to get some warranty or disk drive recovery on it. That is big money though.. I only had to do one in my career and it was over $1600 dollars.. Make sure it's worth it

Regards,
    Poettone.

Beans

Also, they sell relatively cheap conversion kits for drives, that convert any type of interface, ide, sata, laptop into USB.. It has saved me many times over.. Very easy as well.. Cost around $25.. But again that is on a drive that is powering up..

Try the drive as noted with just the power connection and see if you get anything, forget the data connection and bios settings.. just see if it will spin..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast