Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

Having small issue migrating to new avant. Used old version on Feisty and Gusty fairly well, I just upgraded to the latest as described in this thread and it's worked great so far.

Only issue is a setting from previous configuration - I go into awn-manager and launchers setting and I see 5 items listed but without any text associated with them. Trying to edit just brings the dialog without any information populated in it. Also I'm unable to remove these from launchers.

I've seen these errors on Avant startup:

~$ avant-window-navigator
    Screen is composited.
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/main-menu.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/weather.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/calendar.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/awnsystemmonitor.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/separator.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/file-browser-launcher.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/filebrowser.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-10.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-14.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-11.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-12.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-13.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/taskman.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/quit-applet.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/awnnotificationdaemon.desktop
    folder = /mnt/nfs

Those errors I'm assuming are the cause of the blank launcher entries. I've checked and the files are not present, in fact nothing is there in the ~/.config/awn/launchers directory.

Where do I go to remove references to these missing files? Is there a gconf entry for Avant?
    Athlon64 X2 6000+, M2N-SLI Deluxe, 2gb Corsair XMS3200, 7600GT/6600GT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

AWN died for me with the last update and Synaptic wouldn't fix the problem, but I've got it working now. Here's what happened in hopes it'll be useful to others.

I told Synaptic during the update to just remove the programs figuring I could add/reinstall them later, but when I tried it said there were recursive unfulfilled dependencies (ie. avant-window-navigator could not be installed because it needed avant-window-manager which could not be installed because it needed avant-window-navigator). I then followed the suggestion posted earlier

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    but I've already upgraded to Hardy so it didn't do anything except to say this:

Code:
    The following packages have been kept back:
      awn-core-applets-bzr
    So,

Code:
    sudo apt-get install awn-core-applets-bzr
    That produced some messages, some recommended additions and then didn't install. So I repeated the command with the recommended additions:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install awn-core-applets-bzr avant-window-navigator-bzr python-awn-bzr python-feedparser python-libgmail libawn0-bzr
    And now AWN is back. One issue seemed to be the libawn0-bzr vs libawn-bzr:

Code:
    dpkg: libawn-bzr: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
     awn-core-applets-bzr depends on libawn-bzr.
    came up during the process. The program works anyway so do with that what you will.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ktulu1115 View Post
    Having small issue migrating to new avant. Used old version on Feisty and Gusty fairly well, I just upgraded to the latest as described in this thread and it's worked great so far.

Only issue is a setting from previous configuration - I go into awn-manager and launchers setting and I see 5 items listed but without any text associated with them. Trying to edit just brings the dialog without any information populated in it. Also I'm unable to remove these from launchers.

I've seen these errors on Avant startup:

~$ avant-window-navigator
    Screen is composited.
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/main-menu.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/weather.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/calendar.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/awnsystemmonitor.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/file-browser-launcher.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/filebrowser.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-10.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-14.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-11.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-12.desktop
    FAILED : /home/adechiaro/.config/awn/launchers/awn_launcher-13.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/taskman.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/quit-applet.desktop
    APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/awnnotificationdaemon.desktop
    folder = /mnt/nfs

Those errors I'm assuming are the cause of the blank launcher entries. I've checked and the files are not present, in fact nothing is there in the ~/.config/awn/launchers directory.

Where do I go to remove references to these missing files? Is there a gconf entry for Avant?
    You can remove them in gconf-editor, the relevant key is apps->avant-window-navigator->window_manager->launchers
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drworm01 View Post
    AWN died for me with the last update and Synaptic wouldn't fix the problem, but I've got it working now. Here's what happened in hopes it'll be useful to others.

I told Synaptic during the update to just remove the programs figuring I could add/reinstall them later, but when I tried it said there were recursive unfulfilled dependencies (ie. avant-window-navigator could not be installed because it needed avant-window-manager which could not be installed because it needed avant-window-navigator). I then followed the suggestion posted earlier

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    but I've already upgraded to Hardy so it didn't do anything except to say this:

Code:
    The following packages have been kept back:
      awn-core-applets-bzr
    So,

Code:
    sudo apt-get install awn-core-applets-bzr
    That produced some messages, some recommended additions and then didn't install. So I repeated the command with the recommended additions:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install awn-core-applets-bzr avant-window-navigator-bzr python-awn-bzr python-feedparser python-libgmail libawn0-bzr
    And now AWN is back. One issue seemed to be the libawn0-bzr vs libawn-bzr:

Code:
    dpkg: libawn-bzr: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
     awn-core-applets-bzr depends on libawn-bzr.
    came up during the process. The program works anyway so do with that what you will.
    I've renamed several packages, so it's possible there may be rough edges when upgrading, however after a successful upgrade everything should be fine. At worst, removing and reinstalling all packages should fix any dependency problems.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've renamed several packages, so it's possible there may be rough edges when upgrading, however after a successful upgrade everything should be fine. At worst, removing and reinstalling all packages should fix any dependency problems.
    I really didn't have any trouble using the Synaptic Package Manager to resolve this. In Synaptic I chose the avant-window-navigator-bzr package and selected the Mark For Upgade option. Synaptic then prompted me with all of the other package changes necessary, like removing libawn-bzr and installing libawn0-bzr, etc. I applied those changes and then ran the Update Manager one more time and it fetched an update for awn-core-applets-bzr. That was it. Thanks for great package.
    Three simple words: Read the manual.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was wondering if I could easley transfer all my applet from the top launcher panel to awn.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rab4567 View Post
    I was wondering if I could easley transfer all my applet from the top launcher panel to awn.
    the applet format is incompatible. program launchers may be dragged to AWN, everything else cannot be and you'll have to find substitutes among the applets designed for AWN.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@reacocard : Browsing some threads, and fall here (again).
    Then my brain have been eaten (btw there wasn't much to eat there tonight !), after what I figured that you also got a deprecated link to your old repo in your sig.

Nothing better to say, maybe too lame or drunk

Again big up for all your work and support

Beans

i installed AWN 0.3.1 on Hardy. after installing compiz-fusion, AWN disappeared, so i uninstalled fusion and reinstalled "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings." AWN was still gone. I uninstalled it. I then reinstalled it using this thread to no avail. I then uninstalled it using the thread. I can see AWN is unclicked under add/remove, but when i click it to install, it says:

"This application conflicts with other installed software. To install 'avant-window-navigator' the conflicting software must be removed first.

Switch to the 'synaptic' package manager to resolve this conflict."

Any ideas? I can even figure out how to get the bottom panel back on my screen temporarily until i can fix AWN
    Last edited by shawalli; April 29th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by shawalli View Post
    i installed AWN 0.3.1 on Hardy. after installing compiz-fusion, AWN disappeared, so i uninstalled fusion and reinstalled "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings." AWN was still gone. I uninstalled it. I then reinstalled it using this thread to no avail. I then uninstalled it using the thread. I can see AWN is unclicked under add/remove, but when i click it to install, it says:

"This application conflicts with other installed software. To install 'avant-window-navigator' the conflicting software must be removed first.

Switch to the 'synaptic' package manager to resolve this conflict."

Any ideas? I can even figure out how to get the bottom panel back on my screen temporarily until i can fix AWN
    I'm not sur eto exactly understand your issue. May be you haven't correctly uninstall, before installing using this thread.
    Btw, to have your bottom panel back, you just need to create a new panel. Right click in an empty space of your top panel and pick "new panel" in the pop up menu. Where ever the panel is placed after its creation you can move it with a drag and drop.

Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast