Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't open JPG files - bad module?

Beans

Can't open JPG files - bad module?

While trying to install Cinelerra on Ubuntu 10.10, I copied/moved around some of the .so modules located under /usr/lib. Now I find that I cannot open JPG images - Image Viewer will give me the following error (see screenshot):
    Code:
    Unable to load image-loading module:/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-jpeg.so: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-jpeg.so: undefined symbol: jpeg_resync_to_restart
    Attempting to open the image with GIMP will give me (see screenshot 2):
    Code:
    GIMP Message
    Plug-in crashed: "file-jpeg"
    (/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-jpeg)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state.
    You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

GIMP message

Opening '/usr/share/backgrounds/Crocosmia_by_sirpecangum.jpg' failed:
    Procedure 'file-jpeg-load' received no return 
    values.
    PNG files will open fine.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MDguy; August 1st, 2011 at 03:05 AM.

Beans

Re: Can't open JPG files - bad module?

Try searching for the module and put it back in /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/

Code:
    sudo find / -name libpixbufloader-jpeg.so

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thefasterblueone View Post
    Try searching for the module and put it back in /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/

Code:
    sudo find / -name libpixbufloader-jpeg.so
    Thanks for the reply, but when I looked I saw that the module is actually still there - perhaps it's corrupted?

EDIT: I obtained a copy of libpixbufloader-jpeg.so from the LiveCD and replaced the current module with new one, but I'm still getting the same error message.
    Last edited by MDguy; August 1st, 2011 at 03:03 AM.

Beans

How about reinstalling Gimp?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thefasterblueone View Post
    How about reinstalling Gimp?
    I'm fairly sure it's not a GIMP problem, since the images won't open with ANY image viewer/editor that I've tried.

Beans

I am also finding that certain programs such as Filezilla and Ubuntu Software Center will not open because of this problem. If I type "filezilla" into the terminal, I get:
    Code:
    filezilla: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4: undefined symbol: jpeg_resync_to_restart

Beans

bump

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but when I looked I saw that the module is actually still there - perhaps it's corrupted?

EDIT: I obtained a copy of libpixbufloader-jpeg.so from the LiveCD and replaced the current module with new one, but I'm still getting the same error message.
    I'm not convinced your problem is with libpixbufloader-jpeg.so. I'm not an expert in this, but the origina messagel is ambiguous, it may be telling you that libpixbufloader-jpeg.so can't be loaded because it references a "jpeg_resync_to_restart" symbol than can't be found.

You may be missing something a bit further downstream, such as libjpeg.so. If this is the case, you can also try to deinstall/resinstall it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    I'm not convinced your problem is with libpixbufloader-jpeg.so. I'm not an expert in this, but the origina messagel is ambiguous, it may be telling you that libpixbufloader-jpeg.so can't be loaded because it references a "jpeg_resync_to_restart" symbol than can't be found.

You may be missing something a bit further downstream, such as libjpeg.so. If this is the case, you can also try to deinstall/resinstall it.
    Okay, I downloaded libjpeg-8b from this site, and after installing it, I am getting this error:
    unrec-format.png
    It seems to have done something related to the problem, but still didn't repair it completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast