Thread: Edubuntu 7.04 school guestion

Beans

Edubuntu 7.04 school guestion

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I want to ask something.
    1. HOw to change bacground ? Whne i tried to change, it says that /desktop/gnome/bacground/picture_option is read only and can't change bacground

2. I have unlocked terminal, i'm root. I'm trying to change options users-admin by typing in terminal
    Code:
    users-admin
    or
    Code:
    gksu users-admin
    . I change what I want, but when I log of an log in again, my changes aren't applied.
    How to apply these changes to users-admin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Edubuntu 7.04 school guestion

Firstly, Edubuntu 7.04 is ridiculously old. It is not supported anymore and nobody should still be using it. There have been no security patches since 2008. Please move to a later version - 12.04 is a good version and is supported for a while.

To answer your question, you should add write permission to the file it complains about. But really, just upgrade and your problem should disappear anyway.

No idea about your second question.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Look. We use edubuntu 7.04 in school. I can't upgrade, In hgome, I have 13.10. Also, I did it with permissions.
    Others?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I don't think many remember how you had to change the background back then. Actually, I skipped 7.04. In troubleshooting these old releases you're basically on your own. Maybe you can ask the system administrator at your school, he must know something about 7.04.

Maybe you have to talk to the people responsible at your school and ask them to move to a supported release. If they are wise they should listen. It doesn't cost any money and helps to keep out the bad guys, who want to add your school's computers to a botnet. If the hardware is too old for the latest Edubuntu, they can install Lubuntu 13.10. The only differences between Edubuntu and Lubuntu (or Xubuntu, regular Ubuntu) are the default settings and the applications installed by default, but all Edubuntu applications can be installed on Lubuntu too. I don't know how open they are to suggestions, but in my country they would listen.

Beans

They aren't open to suggestions. We use x300 ncomputing. I read somewhere that x300 is too old for new ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by THE Ghost2 View Post
    They aren't open to suggestions. We use x300 ncomputing. I read somewhere that x300 is too old for new ubuntu.
    Hi and if you do have admin rights then the changes should stay. I would recommend checking with the schools IT admin for assistants.
    If you were referring to the Lenovo ThinkPad X300 the specs on that system should use the newest version of Ubuntu

1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SL7100
    Memory 2GB of 667MHz
    Hard drive 64GB solid-state drive
    Graphics Intel GMA X3100 (integrated)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My guess is this one.
    Ghost, you could suggest trying Lubuntu 13.10 on one of these (or Bodhi Linux, if long time support is a priority).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.