View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 51 of 152 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hi, I upgraded to the 2.6.22.5 Kernal and now when I try to access System - > Admin -> Restricted Drivers Manager I get a message that says I need to load the Linux Restricted Modules for 2.6.22.5, however when I search the package manager the latest version is 2.6.20.5.

Any ideas where I can get the correct files? TIA

Beans
    Hidden!

search GIT for sources and compile it - I'd surrendered and don't use "Restricted Drivers Manager" anymore.
    Linux Debian Sid (Minted) x86_64/3.12.10, Conky 2.0_pre, Xorg 7.7/1.15.0, KDE 4.11.5, Lenovo T61, Intel X3100, HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 100GB, WDC_WD5000BEVT 500GB
    Linux user No.: 483055 | My Conky Pitstop corner | One4All project

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dk75 View Post
    search GIT for sources and compile it - I'd surrendered and don't use "Restricted Drivers Manager" anymore.
    Thanks. I trying to get Compiz Fusion to work with my ATI X1900 and think I need restricted drivers enabled for it to work. The reason I upgraded the kernel in the first place is because the ATI drivers from ATI.com wouldn´t install correctly (Some bug discussed on the unofficial ATI wiki)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I followed the instructions in an article on linux.com about a week ago. however, the article did not include the "--initrd" option. thus, my new 2.6.22.4 kernel doesn't have an initrd.img. how do i make one? start over and follow the instructions here?
    thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Has anyone else been experiencing much bigger modules than before? Like... on the order of 5-10 times the original size?

I started getting that around kernel 2.6.21... and it's a big problem... to the extent that the initrd images don't fit in my (small) /boot partition.

Is this occurring for other people? (Compare the sizes of a few of your .ko files from the different kernel compiles you've done or (assuming they have more-or-less the same number of modules) compare the initrd.img-KERNELVERSION files in /boot. I'd like to know if this is my misconfiguring or something else.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DnasTheGreat View Post
    Has anyone else been experiencing much bigger modules than before? Like... on the order of 5-10 times the original size?
    Do you have any of the debug options on? That could certainly do it. Also, you can always do away with your initial ramdisk, just make sure that you include your root filesystem and disk controller into the kernel and not as modules.
    cheers,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp View Post
    Hi, I upgraded to the 2.6.22.5 Kernal and now when I try to access System - > Admin -> Restricted Drivers Manager I get a message that says I need to load the Linux Restricted Modules for 2.6.22.5, however when I search the package manager the latest version is 2.6.20.5.

Any ideas where I can get the correct files? TIA
    Did you compile 2.6.22.5 from vanilla sources? If so you'll need to compile your own modules that are included in 'restricted modules'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcankrom View Post
    I followed the instructions in an article on linux.com about a week ago. however, the article did not include the "--initrd" option. thus, my new 2.6.22.4 kernel doesn't have an initrd.img. how do i make one? start over and follow the instructions here?
    thx
    No need to start over: check out 'mkinitrd'
    cheersr,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just promoting - KernelCheck - Compare your running kernel and [optionally] build the latest kernel automatically

More information available at http://kcheck.sourceforge.net

For you eyecandy lovers I have created a Screenlet version of KernelCheck. Visit it at http://screenlets.org/index.php/KernelCheck

The main post will continue to be updated as often as possible.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed the kernel and everything seems to be working fine. When I choose Ubuntu from the grub menu, I see an error message real quick that says something like this.

MCFG something something is not reserved.

Is there anyway to avoid this error? or a way to fix it?

Page 51 of 152 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast