Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOW TO Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive

hi ..

just wondering whether its possible to install ubuntu in an internal hdd but install the GRUB2 loader on an external usb flash..

i just dont want to mess up the oem partition given in my laptop..

any ideas??
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and sticking things in it - Opus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aviatsit View Post
    hi ..

just wondering whether its possible to install ubuntu in an internal hdd but install the GRUB2 loader on an external usb flash..

i just dont want to mess up the oem partition given in my laptop..

any ideas??
    My apology for being too late to reply this.

GRUB2 Files will be stored in the root partition and that will be where you choose to install Ubuntu (Internal HDD, USB, etc). Only part of GRUB2 will be stored in the MBR. Having that said, I see no point to do that

If something will go wrong, you can always fix the MBR either with Windows Disc or Ubuntu LiveCD.

Not to mention that GRUB2, IMHO, is one of the best Boot-Loaders I have ever seen. I haven't got any problem with it until now. It doesn't mean it's perfect - nothing is prefect - but it means there are tons of guide and howto to deal with GRUB2.

I know it's a late reply but this reply will help anyone else who may have the same Q

Edit:
    The main idea behind this guide is how to install Ubuntu on an external media instead of installing it on the internal HDD. As long as Ubuntu and it's boot loader is NOT installed in the internal HDD, everything will remain untouched on the internal HDD.

Check the aim of this guide
    Last edited by amjjawad; July 22nd, 2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Adding Note

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thumbs down Re: HOW TO Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive

Remind me again, why it is recommended to check the MD5SUM against the Ubuntu hashes?

Last edited by cariboo; November 11th, 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: removed unneeded quote
    Choose Freedom, Choose Linux, Choose Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by x-D View Post
    Remind me again, why it is recommended to check the MD5SUM against the Ubuntu hashes?

Please, edit your post and remove "QUOTE" as the post is so long

About MD5SUM, please check this link:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Your answer should be there.

Beans

OK. I've got 11.10 on a USB stick. I can select it from the computer's boot menu and it works!
    Well ... it works except the Startup-Manager doesn't run!!

I wanted to use Startup-Manager to get the USB-based GRUB2 to default to a hard drive-resident OS.
    But, I don't know how to do that and could use some pointers.

I guess I won't be using Startup-Manager unless I can run it from the hard drive Ubuntu install and point it at the USB GRUB2 files.

I guess I could edit GRUB2 files on the USB manually with a text editor, eh?
    But then I have to figure out what the GRUB2 boot will see as hard drive installs.
    sda1 ??? Ubuntu is in the first partition of the one and only hard drive.

I'm such a noob with Ubuntu/Linux that I really could use some help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by fredcm3 View Post
    OK. I've got 11.10 on a USB stick. I can select it from the computer's boot menu and it works!
    Well ... it works except the Startup-Manager doesn't run!!

I wanted to use Startup-Manager to get the USB-based GRUB2 to default to a hard drive-resident OS.
    But, I don't know how to do that and could use some pointers.

I guess I won't be using Startup-Manager unless I can run it from the hard drive Ubuntu install and point it at the USB GRUB2 files.

I guess I could edit GRUB2 files on the USB manually with a text editor, eh?
    But then I have to figure out what the GRUB2 boot will see as hard drive installs.
    sda1 ??? Ubuntu is in the first partition of the one and only hard drive.

I'm such a noob with Ubuntu/Linux that I really could use some help!
    I promise to read your post again but I don't understand what are you trying to achieve here?
    You need to keep in mind that the whole idea/concept of having Ubuntu (or any of its variant) installed to an USB-Drive is ... well, I already explained that in page 1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rajesh.kalapura View Post
    Thanks amjjawad for the post.A nice how-to........
    You most welcome. Thanks for your nice words
    Glad to help and support this community

Beans

wubi installation is a temporary installation to see if ubuntu is compatible with the hardware and see the improvements and feature of a new ubuntu installation. i have a usb key and i need it for putting restored herensbootcd 14 which have riplinux image booting in addition to other features of herensbootcd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mohamedtoma73 View Post
    wubi installation is a temporary installation to see if ubuntu is compatible with the hardware and see the improvements and feature of a new ubuntu installation. i have a usb key and i need it for putting restored herensbootcd 14 which have riplinux image booting in addition to other features of herensbootcd
    I'm sure if you'll read the first post on this thread, you'll understand why this guide has been created

Yes, Wubi might be helpful but problematic too. There are many other ways to do what you stated. LiveCD, LiveUSB, installing on Virtual Machine, Installing on USB Drive, Installing on USB External HDD and Installation on Test-Machines ... that all in case one doesn't want to install it on the internal HDD

Beans

Hi Amjjawad,
    Re: Your Article: How to Avoid Wubi & Install Ubuntu on USB Drive
    I have recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 on to a USB drive based on your excellent description in December 2010 about 'how to avoid Wubi'. (Everything seems to be working as it probably should).
    What I am wondering now is that as the Bootloader is located in the MBR (ie. sdb) on the USB is it possible to install a second operating system (eg. Fedora 16 desktop) on to the same USB (subject to the USB being big enough) so that when the Grub2 menu appears it may be possible to choose between Ubuntu (from the USB), Windows (from the HDD) and, say, Fedora (from the same USB)?
    (At the moment I have put Fedora 16 on to a second USB - I am simply trying out both Ubuntu and Fedora for the first time to see which one I will stick with for the future but it would help if I could choose them from the same USB rather than needing 2 USB's).
    davidc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast