Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: gOS Rocket 2.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: gOS Rocket 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin spratt View Post
    It uses so much ram as it is running Google and is very poorly setup E17 on Ubuntu can use under 70mb of ram, My e17 with a animated desk top and icon uses about 80mb Elive on Debian also uses very low ram.
    Yeah, don't know what the true minimum requirements for gOS are, but under a VM with just 128Mb RAM it gets stuck when the live CD boots.

So you've got a system running Ubuntu & E17 with under 70Mb RAM? Impressive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by supergrapeman View Post
    Yeah, don't know what the true minimum requirements for gOS are, but under a VM with just 128Mb RAM it gets stuck when the live CD boots.

So you've got a system running Ubuntu & E17 with under 70Mb RAM? Impressive.
    oops, scratch that, gOS 2.0 beta (128 Mb) did eventually get to the desktop.. so I fired up an xterm, and typed free. And this is what I got: (reformatted, cos I can't figure how to copy & paste from a VM...)

Mem:

total: 12600
    used: 123844
    free: 2156
    shared: 0
    buffers: 1092
    cached: 55412

-/+ buffers/cache:

used: 67340
    free: 58660

Swap:

total: 0
    used: 0
    free: 0

Now doesn't this imply that gOS is using 67340Kb, ie about 64Mb? In which case it is pretty damn light!

Beans

Rocket is a small improvement from the last edition, but it is still very dodgy, the file manager is the worst I've seen, but I really like the new network manager. What I can't understand are those online shortcuts to youtube and google apps. Most people who would buy a budget computer would have dialup and dialup isn't sufficient enough for most of the web apps that are on gOS.

Linux Mint E17 is coming out soon ( January 2008 ), it will have many apps to satisfy the needs for everyone. I think E17 is stable its just not as full as the other DE's. There will be a CD version for outdated or slow computers and a DVD version for new computers or fast computers. The DVD edition will have many more apps, so you won't have to install another app (But there aren't enough apps that makes it look cluttered). For more info - http://linuxminte17.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
    molom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i appreciate the effort though.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ~LoKe View Post
    Mac-like? Pass...

I don't understand all the variants. Just download Ubuntu and install the extras. =/
    Well... if that is the case why are you not running Debian?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateVoid View Post
    Well... if that is the case why are you not running Debian?
    Well said, PrivateVoid. I love Linux Mint and I love all variants.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tried gOS and didn't like it... I think it dumbs everything down too much, but i am a geek and i want more control over my pc, that is why i switch to ubuntu linux
    Always,
    John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I find gOS really nice, but I have a problem with my graphics card that only ubuntu seems to solve so I won't use it. But the new version of gOS seems much better than the previous one. Once they get over all the glitches and change their theme to a darker green at least I will try it again.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by koleoptero View Post
    I find gOS really nice, but I have a problem with my graphics card that only ubuntu seems to solve so I won't use it. But the new version of gOS seems much better than the previous one. Once they get over all the glitches and change their theme to a darker green at least I will try it again.
    well, I'm a long way off wanting to use it on my main PC (ubuntu since the days of warty, mandrake before that..), but it's an interesting one to watch

Beans

It seems to do what it promises, little more and on my old PC, is quick and easy to use. Adding hardware seems difficult though. Anyone know a good ftp client that works with this? Greg
    Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04 & Pupeee Linux

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast