Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossroad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Crossroad

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo View Post
    I removed the bold formatting, as it should only be used to highlight a point. Maybe we need some sort of style guide.

We shouldn't limit ourselves to only this thread, as when answering a question, someone may come up with a solution that none of us have thought of yet.
    Thanks... I just pasted it from the testers wiki..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I got curious about the U+1 section some years ago. I was completely baffled by what the people here were doing. I still am baffled by many of the activities. But with a little help I was able to learn a little.

Ventrical has been quietly working on this

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/library

Any commands or links to information that anyone adds to this thread I will add to the U+1 library. I think that this thread is a good idea. We are at a crossroads where development in the Ubuntu family of distros will take different paths to the future. There is nothing wrong with that. I see it as all part of Ubuntu development.

Which has brought to my mind the need for a Wayland compositor section of the U+1 Library. Today's update upgraded a couple of wayland libraries. It got me thinking that it must surely be part of the Ubuntu Gnome mission statement to run Ubuntu Gnome with the Gnome Wayland compositor. I must research this.

Regards.
    Just a note ... wayland is not a compositor... it is a protocol for a compositor to talk to it's clients as well as a C library implementation of that protocol.

Regards..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; May 30th, 2015 at 12:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have added some links to the Ubuntu Gnome section of the U+1 testers wiki Library on the work being done by Gnome.org on a compositor that meets the Wayland protocol and a call to test that compositor on Ubuntu Gnome. Kanasnoob started a thread about it back in February. I think we all had a go at it.

I am looking at KDE efforts in producing a KDE Wayland compositor. I first checked this out many months ago and back then the KDE devs were not going to switch from developing kwin to developing a complete new window manager. This was their reasoning.

Another reason is that the KWin development team does not have the manpower to maintain an independent X11 window manager and a Wayland compositor. Starting a new Wayland compositor would mean to stop the work on the X11 window manager, which would be a bad move as we cannot know yet whether Wayland will succeed and will be supported on all hardware.
    Writing a new Wayland Compositor would require to rewrite the complete X11 workspace in one go. This includes not only the Window Manager, but also parts of Plasma, Screen Locker and many, many more. This would take a long development time and the transition would not be smooth, very likely buggy and with regressions like the 4.0 introduction. We do not want to break the desktop!
    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

@grahammechanical

Thanks .. the above is a perfect example of a Crossroads of change due to convergence and those are the topic of things that need to be in the library. It is the writing on the wall of perhaps how a lot of the different DE may be treated once snappy.iso is released. The focus of Canonical manpower will probably be honed in there. I am now wondering if the sources.list convention and how we upgrade from one cycle to the development version will be somehow changed after 15.10 is released and we go into 16.04.

apologies to OP if I have bifurcated here ..

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I am now wondering if the sources.list convention and how we upgrade from one cycle to the development version will be somehow changed after 15.10 is released and we go into 16.04.
    Exactly the reason why I've started this thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Exactly the reason why I've started this thread.
    I grabbed this and put it here: which is open to appends/ammends.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/Instru...d_sources.list

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    ... I am now wondering if the sources.list convention and how we upgrade from one cycle to the development version will be somehow changed after 15.10 is released and we go into 16.04...
    In respect to what?

If you're alluding to snappy - then I'd be interested to know as well - currently the only flavour that's wandering in that direction in Ubuntu.

Something like this maybe

sudo sed -i 's/wily/xeric/g' /etc/apt/sources.list for everyone

sudo sed -i 's/wily/xeric-some-mad-new-thing/g' /etc/apt/sources.list for mainbuntu

From what I've gleaned from asking people - if the introduction of snappy causes flavours issues - it's a snappy bug.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    In respect to what?

If you're alluding to snappy - then I'd be interested to know as well - currently the only flavour that's wandering in that direction in Ubuntu.

sudo sed -i 's/wily/xeric-some-mad-new-thing/g' /etc/apt/sources.list for mainbuntu

From what I've gleaned from asking people - if the introduction of snappy causes flavours issues - it's a snappy bug.

I am not referring to snappy in the sense that it would cause a regressive interfection with other repositories in regards to other flavours. I am refering to grahammechanicals comment about (limited) manpower <in his quoted case - kubuntu> so .. in this respect and hypothetically in respect to other convergence out-of-snappy we may be introduced with a new cycle/upgrade convention as developers may see that the snappy security protocol may offer a better buttered slice and so that snappy convention may be modified emulated and implemented by 16.04 cycle. You know , as do I, how fast things change in ubuntu-land So for instance a user wants to run a snappy desktop on Ubuntu. Well . .in the format presented it can only be done now presently on kvm but ubuntu(unity/mate etc) may be able to concoct an idea that presents a new method that eliminates the sources.list that we have come to be so familiar with. Well .. isn't that what convergence is really all about?

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

ok.. I see what you mean .. good point. but say I want to do:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install snappy-desktop
    that option would then have to be a non-starter and it would fly in the face of convergence, nas pa?
    Edit: So snappy is going to be exclusive of other flavours. It will not truly be an ubuntu operating system but , more , a stand alone apperating system more inclusive of cloud, server and other commercial computing ventures.
    Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; May 30th, 2015 at 09:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Edit: So snappy is going to be exclusive of other flavours. It will not truly be an ubuntu operating system but , more , a stand alone apperating system more inclusive of cloud, server and other commercial computing ventures.
    Not sure, all I know is that it's not being forced on anyone - no idea what Mate,Kubuntu, Gnome or Lubuntu are doing. I do know that Xubuntu hasn't even discussed it in any depth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast