Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 using too much memory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 10.04 using too much memory

I'm running 10.04 on a machine with 512 MB of RAM and a 3.2Ghz processor. Without any programs open, memory usage is around 350 out of 500 MB, or, around 70% of total memory.

I was previously running 9.04, but upgraded to get the long term support. Although I don't have it installed now, and didn't write it down, I'm sure 9.04 used much less memory, and it certainly felt a lot faster when opening and using applications.

Is it normal for Ubuntu 10.04 to be using this much memory, and if so, what are some things I can do to reduce memory consumption?

Reading Wikipedia, it says Ubuntu only uses 128 MB of RAM.

By the way, here is a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/nrAQJ.png
    Last edited by KingNeil; July 20th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 using too much memory

The minimum SERVER requirements is 128 MB. You are not running a server.
    The minimum DESKTOP requirement is 512 MB.
    Neither of those imply that is all Ubuntu will use.

If you are using a system with lower specs, Xubuntu is recommended.
    Help yourself: Use the forum search
    Help us help you: Use descriptive titles and detailed posts.
    Help others: Mark threads as [Solved] once it is.
    Twitter Facebook Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can uninstall things you don't use , like maybe Ubuntu-one, etc ...... also shut off the start-up of things you don't use ,like bluetooth, ubuntu-one, etc. ...... I got mine down to this ;

Beans
    Distro

On my VirtualBox on my other computer, it uses only 124MB, or even as low as 90MB.

I wonder if that's because Windows already does some of the work, above the VirtualBox layer.

If anyone has Ubuntu 10.04 now, would it be possible to close all your programs and check how much it's using? Or, if anyone happens to know what it should look like for a new install.

I just installed this.

Quote Originally Posted by mike555
    I got mine down to this ;
    How much memory did yours use before you removed the stuff, and what exactly did you remove?

Beans

Good to know that I'm not alone and other people have similar problems to mine. I just hope you'll manage to solve the problem.

In my case it's even worse cause it seems to use more CPU power than Vista. And this is beyond my imagination. Maybe someone can help me with it http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1535007

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Uninstalled ; Ubuntu-one ,Evolution , indicator-me, empathy , all mono stuff , gwibber, bluetooth, britty , computer janitor, e-speak, and probably some I forgot ...

of course doing this I lost a few things , so installed ;Thunderbird, pigeon, mirage, shot well , etc.
    Last edited by mike555; July 20th, 2010 at 05:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    Uninstalled ; Ubuntu-one ,Evolution , indicator-me, empathy , all mono stuff , gwibber, bluetooth, britty , computer janitor, e-speak, and probably some I forgot ...

of course doing this I lost a few things , so installed ;Thunderbird, pigeon, mirage, shot well , etc.
    What is "all mono stuff"?

Also, what was your memory before you removed all this stuff?

It's just... the stuff you've listed, as far as I know, doesn't run all the time, so there's no reason it would eat your memory unless it's open.
    Last edited by KingNeil; July 20th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

If there are processes using too much memory and CPU you can check by running the following command in the terminal:

Code:
    This

Code:
    initctl list
    will show you what is running at startup.

nmaster is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

i say this to people a lot but if you really want a low memory footprint, you should start with the minimal install (getISO from : http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ll&lang=en#870) and then build the desktop up from there. this is a pretty good guide to help you get started: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems

i don't use it regularly, but i think LXDE looks pretty nice too. i have debian+LXDE running on an old 800MHz PIII, 128MB desktop i found and its pretty slick.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    If there are processes using too much memory
    Well, there really doesn't seem to many processes hogging memory.

Screenshot:

I calculate the total memory of these processes to be 30.5748MB.. So... nothing really. I want to know where all the other 100s of MBs are coming from..

Quote Originally Posted by neal.m.master
    if you really want a low memory footprint, you should start with the minimal install
    Yeah, I've seen the guide on this, and it looks interesting. It's just, 9.04 was running so well as a full install. I'm trying to see what the major difference in memory has been between 9.04 and 10.04.

If my processes calculations are correct, I guess the only other memory usage comes from services. Is that right?
    Last edited by KingNeil; July 20th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast