Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ0E View Post
    The screen shots that "pshcyocats" has doesn't look like what I have under hardy heron. I have my HD partitioned into two drivers. One is @ 9.5 GB and the other @ 18.5 GB. I want to install ubuntu INSIDE windows using virtual machine. Trying this out so that I can learn how to set it up while maintianing an internet connection (wireless is all that I have). When it installs it asks whether I want guided, guided with LVM, guided with encrypted LVM or manual. I have go all three routs and the install program doesn't see the partitions. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Joe

PS you can hit me off line at
    joewolf at spinfinder dot com
    or if needed call me at home 785 200 3910 be advised that I head to work @ 1300 daily and dont return until after 2245. (commute to salina)

Again,

Thanks
    What you're talking about is installing using wubi. That doesn't need any partitioning, and in fact I don't believe it can use it. You'll probably want to put the disk space back to Windows if you're wanting to do wubi. I've never used wubi myself, since I had gone single boot ubuntu since before it came out, but I've got some links for you:

http://wubi-installer.org/
    http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234
    That last one is the wubi forum on Ubuntu Forums. They should be able to help if you have any issues.

If (or, hopefully when) you decide to install it to the hard drive proper, I'll be happy to help more. You should consider it, it is faster and safer. Plus, if you ever get malware in Windows, it can affect your wubi install to a degree.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

P.S. Another second shifter I see. I work at 1500 and am off around 2300. But then again, I have very little commute.
    Last edited by JoshuaRL; August 4th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Joshua RL,

thanks for the inf I am using VirtualMachine not wubi but I will look at it any way.

The only reason I haven't gon head first is my wireless. D-Link DWL G120 not nice for ubuntu. Was happy to see someone close that I could go and get hands on learning!!

Maybe if I am going to parents house I could arrange a meeting with you. Parents live in KCKS.

Joe
    Joseph Carney
    NJ0E
    It's not failure if you learn something!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by NJ0E View Post
    Joshua RL,

thanks for the inf I am using VirtualMachine not wubi but I will look at it any way.

The only reason I haven't gon head first is my wireless. D-Link DWL G120 not nice for ubuntu. Was happy to see someone close that I could go and get hands on learning!!

Maybe if I am going to parents house I could arrange a meeting with you. Parents live in KCKS.

Joe
    Glad to help man. If all you're wanting to do is run Ubuntu in a VM, then I would suggest wubi. It is beyond easy, and supported pretty well from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Welcome!

JoshuaRL...

in the process of DL -- 8.5 hr and started at 1030 this am!! Now at work. when I left it had 5 hrs to go. Hopefully all goes well. Am going to try and hold off on install until Friday (have the weekend off 4 glorious days!!)

Will let you know how it goes.

Joe
    Joseph Carney
    NJ0E

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Joshua -- sent you an email thru the forum.

Joe
    Joseph Carney
    NJ0E

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Greetings from Atchison!

Name:
    Greg

Post As:

GMod

Linux Story:
    I've been using different flavors of linux for about a year and a half and have been enjoying every minute of it. Currently running Ubuntu 8.04 and Slackware 12.1 in dual boot setup.

Any other Linux users from Northeast Kansas??
    Ubuntu user #: 23860 Linux User #: 478233

Beans

Just a quick intro.

Jeff McGovern
    Lawrence (Non-student) age 28.

Been using Ubuntu on my home PC for about six weeks now. I dual-boot with Vista, although it spends most of the time in Ubuntu. I do have to use Vista on occasion unfortunately (I'm a gamer, and my Canon PIXMA printer has carpy Linux support). I've actually used Linux for several years and have taken courses to become RHCT, but haven't taken the test yet (I don't have that kind of money).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

For some lack of reason I've failed to post in this group before.

I'm D. J. Chandler, and I live in a close-in suburb of Kansas City. I was born in Missouri, but I've lived in Kansas almost 30 years now.

Linux became an interest of mine about 8 years ago when I installed Redhat 6 (before the split of Redhat enterprise and Fedora) on a Compaq Armada laptop that I used to take on the road with me. Sadly the drive got wiped because the fonts were awful! The max resolution (Pentium 166mmx, 64MB ram, 2GB HD) was 800x600. NT 4.0 got re-installed along with Adobe Type Manager and tons of Adobe fonts that looked fantastic by comparison. You could say I was a litlle spoiled in that regard as I had done some freelancing in the publishing and printing business on Macs and Windows boxes using Pagemaker, Framemaker, Photoshop, ATM and Adobe fonts plus professional techniques to create my output.

Dual booting on desktops using grub started with Fedora 3 as I kept pushing the learning curve. For some reason I was still not comfortable with Linux, but I kept learning anyway. The possible rewards seemed just out of sight but attainable.

In 2006 I got a PIII (550mhz, 256MB, 6GB HD) from the Surplus Exchange in the KC West Bottoms and installed Dapper on my first dedicated Linux machine. I've been an Ubuntu supporter ever since. But I also began to wonder why Debian was the parent of Ubuntu, so I began learning about it and its development too.

Currently I have a desktop (AMD X2 7750, AMD 780G chipset, 4GB ram, 250GB HD) running Jaunty functioning as a HTPC in the living room. One of these days it may run Mythbuntu, but I'm stiil getting my moneysworth out of BeyondTV running on an XP box--it's sitting in spare bedroom and functions mainly as a server. Recordings are accessed via a web browser front-end, streamed or copied to my Jaunty box and played on our HDtv in the living room. This computer also functions as my main desktop much to my wife's dissapointment. She hardly can get me out of my Lazyboy anymore since my wireless keyboard works well from that distance. Obviously seeing isn't a problem either with the big screen LCD.

Just bought a laptop that's now dual booting Vista (soon to be Windows 7) and Jaunty. If I had any real guts I'd wipe Vista, but I'm still curious about Windows 7. I get a "free" upgrade in October, so I'll wait a bit. But everything in the laptop works great in Jaunty, no issues. It's a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5959, $399 (after $100 rebate) now at MicroCenter in Overland Park. Specs: AMD Athlon X2 Ql-65 cpu, 2GB DDR2 667 ram, 250GB HD, 780G chipset, HD3100 integrated graphics, Atheros Wireless LAN chipset. Newegg has a similar Toshiba but with an Intel T4200 cpu, $399 and no rebate to fool with. Of course they advertised that two days after I bought mine. But I'm a little leary about laptops getting shipped anyway, so that's okay. Buying parts online is one thing, but getting a computer with a HD and LCD screen is not something I want to do. And then Kansas hits you for the sales tax anyway.

Rambling comes second nature to me, so I'll force myself to quit here. If anyone in the KC area needs a little help or advice, feel free to contact me via the Ubuntu Forum.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Name: Derek

Hometown: Topeka

I am a Computer Information Science major at Washburn University. I began using Ubuntu back when 6.06 just came out. I got it because I was looking for a server to install on my dads old PC, so I could host a HL2 and CS:S game server and learn PHP code at the same time. I haven't really spent time learning it's ins and outs until recently. The CIS department has decided to switch to open-source as much as possible starting this semester. I enjoy working with Linux, but I still switch back to Windows quite often, as there are still many things that it does better, like photo editing with Photoshop CS4.

Beans

Name: Ceej Walker

Currently running Ubuntu 8.10 on an HP netbook dualbooting to windows

About me: I was born and raised in Wichita, KS but am now living in Manhattan, KS, and when I was 18 joined the US Navy and trained to become an Electronics Technician. I know a great deal about hardware and because of the Navy I was introduced to Ubuntu about 2 years ago. I'm still learning a lot but am very willing to turn it up a notch and give back to the community.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast