Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Howto recover the big pointer in unity?

Beans

Re: Howto recover the big pointer in unity?

Quote Originally Posted by rtimai View Post
    Stinkeye,

I am confirming, Unity is now parsing the ~/.Xresources file, and it DOES fix the cursor size problem.

As you'd expect, this takes effect AFTER logging in. The LightDM/Plymouth screen starts out with the tiny 24-pixel pointer (in a 1366x768 resolution laptop screen,) then it enlarges when the desktop loads. But there are still issues with the icon theme. I tried switching to DMZ-Black, and the arrow pointer remains white, while the Wait (spinner,) Select (hand,) and resize arrows are black.

Okay... I see now, the icon theme needs to be re-set in update-alternatives also. I used Galternatives and confirmed that the theme was still set to DMZ-White, and when I changed it to match Dconf (gsettings) the arrow pointer size updated to 48-point.

I'm not sure if the Plymouth screen will ever show the large pointer, but it's trivial as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the heads-up about this change. (And I have the workaround 48-pixel DMZ-Black theme to fall back on if this gets "regressioned" out.) HOW did you notice it?
    Thanks rtimai,
    Changing the dconf value and editing the ~/.Xresources file worked in 12.10 but didn't work in 13.04 before.

I noticed it just recently started working when I switched back to the default DMZ-white theme and size of 24.
    When I logged back in the desktop displayed a large cursor because I still had an old ~/.Xresources file defining Xcursor.size:48

So for now, anyone with inconsistent cursor size, just use the dconf setting
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size xx
    and
    Code:
    gedit ~/.Xresources
    adding
    Code:
    Xcursor.size:xx
    Where xx is your chosen cursor size.
    24 is the default size
    32 is a nice size for a PC
    48 is a good size for a TV

If it breaks again you can use one of the 4 attached themes I made
    1. DMZ-White-Medium ...32px
    2. DMZ-White-Large ....48px
    3. DMZ-Black-Medium ...32px
    4. DMZ-Black-Large ....48px

and install as described in previous posts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stinkeye; July 18th, 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Stinkeye, thank you for the DMZ icon theme sets, they're definitely keepers, masterpieces of consistency. Oh yeah, you did a redglass-Large as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Thanks rtimai,
    Changing the dconf value and editing the ~/.Xresources file worked in 12.10 but didn't work in 13.04 before.

I noticed it just recently started working when I switched back to the default DMZ-white theme and size of 24.
    When I logged back in the desktop displayed a large cursor because I still had an old ~/.Xresources file defining Xcursor.size:48

So for now, anyone with inconsistent cursor size, just use the dconf setting
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size xx
    and
    Code:
    gedit ~/.Xresources
    adding
    Code:
    Xcursor.size:xx
    Where xx is your chosen cursor size.
    24 is the default size
    32 is a nice size for a PC
    48 is a good size for a TV

If it breaks again you can use one of the 4 attached themes I made
    1. DMZ-White-Medium ...32px
    2. DMZ-White-Large ....48px
    3. DMZ-Black-Medium ...32px
    4. DMZ-Black-Large ....48px

and install as described in previous posts.
    Or use dconf-editor...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Or use dconf-editor...
    Yep obviously, for half the solution.
    Last edited by stinkeye; July 18th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yep obviously, for half the solution.
    Limited by the fact that I'm using 13.10+Ricotz and many other PPAs I can just answer: dconf-editor change is immediately visible at my desktop... I did have before .Xresources file but I retired it months ago...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Limited by the fact that I'm using 13.10+Ricotz and many other PPAs I can just answer: dconf-editor change is immediately visible at my desktop... I did have before .Xresources file but I retired it months ago...
    Why not include that info in your original comment?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why not include that info in your original comment?
    I stand corrected and I will try to correct my future behavior appropriately...
    I've forgot that I'm not in U+1 part of this huge place... Even do not remember how I got into this thread...
    I've noticed that only after I wrote my post... Count that to my old age and...
    Last edited by zika; July 18th, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Howto recover the big pointer in unity?

Stinkeye,

Upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr has broken the .Xresources file setting. The cursor size (medium or large) set on the desktop in that file reverts to the default 24 when starting Gedit or Chromium, and then remains small on the desktop. So, your fix (including the modified simple fix replacing only the left_ptr file with your replacement version) continues to be useful.

Supposedly Canonical is developing an X.org display server replacement called XMir/Mir for Ubuntu, while everyone else is eventually transitioning to Wayland. Either way, I hope that moving off X.org -- which is supposedly bloated with legacy code that makes it difficult for developers to avoid bugs -- will help solve the cursor issues that plague Linux users -- especially of those with failing eyesight. Thank you for your patience and persistence with your good work.
    Last edited by rtimai; April 19th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Stinkeye's redglass-Large.tar.gz is also available in message #54 of this thread. I don't know how to link it in this message, but this collection may come in handy on future Ubuntu upgrades!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rtimai View Post
    Stinkeye,

Upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr has broken the .Xresources file setting. The cursor size (medium or large) set on the desktop in that file reverts to the default 24 when starting Gedit or Chromium, and then remains small on the desktop. So, your fix (including the modified simple fix replacing only the left_ptr file with your replacement version) continues to be useful.

Supposedly Canonical is developing an X.org display server replacement called XMir/Mir for Ubuntu, while everyone else is eventually transitioning to Wayland. Either way, I hope that moving off X.org -- which is supposedly bloated with legacy code that makes it difficult for developers to avoid bugs -- will help solve the cursor issues that plague Linux users -- especially of those with failing eyesight. Thank you for your patience and persistence with your good work.
    Testing in 14.04 seems to show that the ~/.Xresources file is still used but the dconf setting org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size is now overridden by com.canonical.Unity.Interface cursor-scale-factor when logging in to unity.

eg I can set a consistent cursor size of 32 pixels with the terminal command...
    Code:
    echo "Xcursor.size:32" > ~/.Xresources && gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Interface cursor-scale-factor 1.35
    Log out then back in.

For a larger 48 pixel size...
    Code:
    echo "Xcursor.size:48" > ~/.Xresources && gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Interface cursor-scale-factor 2

The dconf setting com.canonical.Unity.Interface cursor-scale-factor has a range of 1.00 to 3.00 and alters the org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size setting.
    eg
    Code:
    @Trusty:~$ gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size
    @Trusty:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size
    @Trusty:~$ gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Interface cursor-scale-factor 1.35
    @Trusty:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size
    Last edited by grumblebum2; April 20th, 2014 at 03:23 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast