Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What printer should I buy ?

HP all in one fax/print/scan, for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Uvoguine View Post
    Thank you. The only thing is that I would like to buy a new one and the first is impossible to find. For the second, I' mad with Canon so I won't buy anymore from them.

Thanks for all of your responses but like I said I prefer have an idea of what specific model is working well. I took one look on the HP site for example and for some of those printers on other websites it says that they aren't compatible. To avoid any complications I rather buy a model that someone has and who could tell me everything's fine.

I know, I'm picky, sorry about that.
    I can say that my 2 Brother devices, an MFC-6490CW & MFC-430W were pretty simple to install, both USB and WiFi. I don't have any HP devices currently but you can go to this site and see which Brother devices have Linux support:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html

I've developed a fondness for Brother due to reasonable ink prices and the availability of refillable cartridges. Remember with inkjets in particular that the first cost - buying the machine - is usually the cheapest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Epson, yet

But yeah, Epson printers are usually supported. You can check the avasys website and see which particular models work.

As for specific models, I have used the T10, T13 and currently the ME32. All are inkjets, though.

Beans
    Hidden!

Usually HP printers have pretty good support. Look around for the best deals and check the forums and google to see if there's a CUPS driver available and if people have gotten it to work.

By the way, have you posted a help thread for your current printer. If it was supposed to work on linux, maybe we can get it working. I wouldn't trust customer support too much, especially regarding linux problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffdude View Post
    Usually HP printers have pretty good support. Look around for the best deals and check the forums and google to see if there's a CUPS driver available and if people have gotten it to work.

By the way, have you posted a help thread for your current printer. If it was supposed to work on linux, maybe we can get it working. I wouldn't trust customer support too much, especially regarding linux problems.
    I was so angry that I send it back immediatly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Uvoguine View Post
    I'm looking for a very simple laser B&W printer and cheap. But most of all I want it to could be installed very easily and works absolutly fine on Ubuntu.

I precise that I'm looking for a specific model, I know that HP and Brother make a lot of printers compatible but I would like to know if some of you know a model that works perfectly.
    Your best bet is to look on the net for which printers would suite your needs noting the makes & model numbers. Then do a google search for 'Ubuntu <printer make&model' and see how it works for others.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    HP all in one fax/print/scan, for me
    If it helps at all, this printer is has absolutely no issues with linux/OSX/windows. Though it is abit old- not really a top line product either..

http://printscan.about.com/od/hpprin...ne-Printer.htm

(when talking about linux. dismiss those "cons" the setup takes little more than 5secs without touching the printer at all- just install HPLIP, added printer, wireless, or LAN, it will instantly find and calibrate- or did for me regardless the version of ubuntu i upgraded to as time went on)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 for HP all in ones. I bought mine a few weeks ago from Asda for £25. Reading the box on the way round I could see that it said it only included drivers for Win and Apple OSX. (I wasn't too concerned though as the missus's computer is running Win XP Pro). But on arriving home, a quick search on the HP website soon directed me to open source drivers (the HPLIP). Only took a few minutes to download and install. I even had to use the terminal, but kept the instruction web page open and simply copied and pasted the commands in to the terminal . (thank christ for copy and paste ehh)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12