Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans

Re: GNObuntu ?

I noticed you pushed a new ubuntu-gnome-default-settings package which ovverrides some dconf settings. That's great but I think you need to revert ubuntu changes to the default theme too: use Adwaita instead of Ambiance by default please!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am interested in using Gnome/Ubuntu. I am not a developer, but can test/troubleshoot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: GNObuntu ?

Question - how do I delete the bottom panel on Gnome Shell?

This is a very typical 1366x768 display, horizontal lines are at a premium.

Gubuntu is using up 2 horizontal lines.

LXDE very neatly uses one horizontal line to do the combination of what takes up two horizontal lines on Gnome Shell. I don't need the tabs on the bottom panel since Alt-Tab does the job easily and quickly.

On Meerkat, Lucid, ... I used to be able to delete the bottom panel with a right click.

Thanks for hints,

Jerry

Gnubuntu is on another partition so I can switch back and forth with reboot. I would like to log back and forth between LXDE and gnome shell so I'm looking carefully at the very nice post by kuvanito to remove just the unity stuff and not, for example, lightdm which I think LXDE uses?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Gubuntu is using ...
    Gnubuntu is on another ...
    I think they've decided on Gnomebuntu? Would be mods consider renaming the thread if that is correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe you guys should go look at a fedora 17 or 18 live session and dig out the gnome-session and gnome shell default dconf settings out of there. It's as vanilla as it gets for that distro. Been using it for a year and a half now since unity came in. I really can't wait to try gnobuntu when it's out.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by julo42 View Post
    Hi everyone,

what's the plan concerning gnome-online-accounts and ubuntu-signon in gnomebuntu? Here is the situation today:
    - Evolution is supposed to work with gnome-online-accounts but is currently broken (accounts can't be added, neither manually nor via goa)
    - Empathy used to work with goa, but now it's been patched to work with ubuntu-signon instead.
    - Gnome-documents seems to work with goa only.
    - Gnome-contacts doesn't work anymore, neither with goa nor with ubuntu-signon
    Could you open bugs about those issues? Currently in Ubuntu we need both gnome-online-accounts and ubuntu-signon. It would be nice to be able to just include one.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by julo42 View Post
    I noticed you pushed a new ubuntu-gnome-default-settings package which ovverrides some dconf settings. That's great but I think you need to revert ubuntu changes to the default theme too: use Adwaita instead of Ambiance by default please!
    Try uninstalling ubuntu-artwork.

ubuntu-artwork is not installing its gsettings overrides correctly which means it can't be overriden by different overrides easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Um, why don't you guys build up on a server image, which normally has no DE or settings installed, and check the package differential to know what to add and what not to add, and then tweak it as you find missing links or other stuff...

One thing is for sure, you won't have to kill yourself with all the Unity* dependencies unless they're built into a package which requires them, you can verify those on install and avoid them...
    Last edited by Cypher2; August 31st, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: More info...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Could you open bugs about those issues? Currently in Ubuntu we need both gnome-online-accounts and ubuntu-signon. It would be nice to be able to just include one.
    There are opened bugs for Evolution and Gnome-contacts:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/evolution/+bug/1034331
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1024606

For Empathy, there is no bug to open as this is - I think - the expected behaviour on Ubuntu (but maybe not on GNOMEbuntu?), and for documents, it is the expected behaviour on stock gnome (but maybe not on ubuntu and / or GNOMEbuntu?).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Try uninstalling ubuntu-artwork.

ubuntu-artwork is not installing its gsettings overrides correctly which means it can't be overriden by different overrides easily.
    I have just removed ubuntu-artwork and Ambiance is still the default GTK theme. To check this, I have launched dconf-editor, clicked on org.gnome.desktop.interface.gtk-theme, then "set to default". While "Adwaita" is correctly displayed, Ambiance is actually set (this is a known bug where dconf-editor displays the stock default but actually applies the overridden default: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/884943).

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast