Thread: apt-get asking for Ubuntu Server CD?

Beans

apt-get asking for Ubuntu Server CD?

I just installed 7.10 server the other day onto my soon-to-be home file/sprint server. Once everything was installed, I did an:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    at which point it started to download stuff as per normal. But then, at item 10 of things to download, it started failing. Almost like I had physically unplugged the ethernet chord.

So today I tried to:
    Code:
    apt-get install nmap
    for security stuff and it asked for the Ubuntu Server Install CD. Has anyone run into this before? I'm relatively new to this so be patient.

I tried doing some pinging but could only get a response from computers on my LAN, not beyond (like from google or something). However, my main desktop has the same ping response (can ping lan comps but not beyond the lan). How can I tell if my new server is actually "seeing" the internet?

Cheers,

Garfonzo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: apt-get asking for Ubuntu Server CD?

delete
    Last edited by xc3RnbFO8P; April 23rd, 2008 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you installed server then you probably do not have a GUI. You need to edit the sources.list file.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    At the top comment out the CD-rom and uncomment main, universe and the multiverse repositories. If you are unsure about what to comment out then post the file.

Then you need to update apt.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Pinging is a good method to test your internet connection. You might have a DNS issue. Try pinging by domain name and ip address. 4.2.2.2 is a good address to ping. If the name does not work then it is a DNS issue.
    Last edited by wormser; April 23rd, 2008 at 05:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wormser View Post
    If you installed server then you probably do not have a GUI. You need to edit the sources.list file.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    At the top comment out the CD-rom and uncomment main, universe and the multiverse repositories.
    Correct, no GUI.

Now, is there any way to check that the server has a working internet connection to the world? I've not really messed around with things too much, but, if I had a GUI I would open Firefox and hit a few websites to determine that my connection is working. Is there a way to do this on a GUI-free server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by garfonzo View Post
    Correct, no GUI.

Now, is there any way to check that the server has a working internet connection to the world? I've not really messed around with things too much, but, if I had a GUI I would open Firefox and hit a few websites to determine that my connection is working. Is there a way to do this on a GUI-free server?
    Did you ping sites or try downloading with apt-get? If the apt-get update worked then you are online.

Code:
    ping ubuntuforums.org
    and by ip

Code:
    ping 91.189.94.186

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wormser View Post
    Did you ping sites or try downloading with apt-get? If the apt-get update worked then you are online.

Code:
    ping ubuntuforums.org
    and by ip

Code:
    ping 91.189.94.186
    Well I guess I'm online because I downloaded "beep" with apt-get. However, not that I am too concerned since my server appears to be online, but, I can't ping anything. Even my computer that I know is online (I'm typing from it) is unable to ping anything. Odd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by garfonzo View Post
    Well I guess I'm online because I downloaded "beep" with apt-get. However, not that I am too concerned since my server appears to be online, but, I can't ping anything. Even my computer that I know is online (I'm typing from it) is unable to ping anything. Odd.
    Your network might be blocking icmp ping requests.