Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no option to install along side windows 7 on an acer

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

no option to install along side windows 7 on an acer

was trying to install lubuntu 16.04 on my brothers acer aspire 5253-bz846 with amd radeon hd6250 graphics, amd dual core c-50 processor yesterday but had no option to install it along side windows 7. haven't ever seen that happen before. it ran perfectly fine without installing it and ran much better than windows 7.

i haven't messed with resizing or partitioning in ages and didn't really want to risk losing his stuff. i did try it some what though but windows reported it had errors and to do a chkdsk, which i did both the quick check where it only checks 3 stages and the full check where it checks all 5 stages. it didn't find any errors though! i did a chkdsk using the live dvd also and it found nothing too.

don't really know what else i can say or do about this, but after seeing how well it ran using the live disc, it would've been really sweet to have been able to install lubuntu.

as a side question, what ever happened to that wubi tool that let you install linux using that?

any help would really be appreciated although i have to give him his laptop back today.

thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: no option to install along side windows 7 on an acer

You can always use the Windows management partition tool to create a partition to install Ubuntu on then, just boot in to the live desktop and when you choose to install Ubuntu choose that partition. I do recommend making a complete backup of any important data just in case something goes wrong

Beans

Probably Windows took all four primary partitions, and the installer cannot create any more. You will need to shrink a Windows partition, then backup/copy all the files on one partition so itmay be deleted and an extended partition created, then you can create logical partitions in the extended partition for Ubuntu (and maybe the original contents of the primary as a logical). Assume the worst, and have verified backups. You have a one day time limit, but don't rush things. Maybe get the repartitioning done first, then attempt the install when you have more time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Maybe your brother's machine has already used the four partitions that are possible if using BIOS and not the newer UEFI firmware system.

From the live Ubuntu system run terminal command
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    and show us the output back here.

Wubi is no longer supported and was never meant as a dual boot possibility but more as a test of your hardware with Ubuntu, so you can forget about using that now; it has gone.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    You can always use the Windows management partition tool to create a partition to install Ubuntu on then, just boot in to the live desktop and when you choose to install Ubuntu choose that partition. I do recommend making a complete backup of any important data just in case something goes wrong
    Windows partitioning tool wouldn't work. Told me disc had errors. Did 2 disc checks, the quick one and long one. Neither reported erros!

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    Probably Windows took all four primary partitions, and the installer cannot create any more. You will need to shrink a Windows partition, then backup/copy all the files on one partition so itmay be deleted and an extended partition created, then you can create logical partitions in the extended partition for Ubuntu (and maybe the original contents of the primary as a logical). Assume the worst, and have verified backups. You have a one day time limit, but don't rush things. Maybe get the repartitioning done first, then attempt the install when you have more time.
    Did notice disc had 3 partitions and 4th partition said free space equaled the entire size of disc! Couldn't shrink windows partition as every time I tried shrinking/formatting, said disc had errors.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Maybe your brother's machine has already used the four partitions that are possible if using BIOS and not the newer UEFI firmware system.

From the live Ubuntu system run terminal command
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    and show us the output back here.

Wubi is no longer supported and was never meant as a dual boot possibility but more as a test of your hardware with Ubuntu, so you can forget about using that now; it has gone.
    i believe machine is WAY to old to have UEFI firmware. I believe it is 6+ years old. I was looking for that in bios though and didn't see any such thing.

I believe the issue is Windows is using 3 partitions, if i was looking at that right! I gave him back his laptop already, but am planning to go over there tomorrow. Will try that command then and post back.

Going to try and talk him into letting me wipe out windows and install lubuntu!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say laptop should work correctly with it installed seeing as how well it ran from the live disc. Don't you people think so?

Thanks for replies folks!!

edit:
    sucks that wubi isn't around. i used that several times while in the process of getting used to linux and never had any issues with it.

Beans

I highly recommend dual-booting. We just need to see the output of 'parted -l' to know what we're dealing with. If only 3 partitions exist and it's using an msdos partition table then you'll likely need to see how much disc space is being used in Win 7. It's always safest to shrink Windows using its own partitioning tool and it may be necessary to cleanup, defrag, and make a few tweaks within Windows to accomplish the resize.

Beans

Posting the output ajgreeny asked for might clear up the partitioning questions -- it sounds like there may be some partition overlap if one is equal to the entire disk size. Dual boot is nice in case there's that one thing that you still need Windows for (like taxes!). If you've got the disk space, let your bro get used to lubuntu and decide after not using Windows for months, he'd rather have the disk space devoted to lubuntu. It's getting harder to just reinstall W7 -- Microsoft might not be "activating" new copies anymore, so you might need a backup of the disk image. If the install media runs on a machine, the install should work, and may work better if some proprietary drivers are available.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    Posting the output ajgreeny asked for might clear up the partitioning questions -- it sounds like there may be some partition overlap if one is equal to the entire disk size. Dual boot is nice in case there's that one thing that you still need Windows for (like taxes!). If you've got the disk space, let your bro get used to lubuntu and decide after not using Windows for months, he'd rather have the disk space devoted to lubuntu. It's getting harder to just reinstall W7 -- Microsoft might not be "activating" new copies anymore, so you might need a backup of the disk image. If the install media runs on a machine, the install should work, and may work better if some proprietary drivers are available.
    Good point. I have actually purchased Win 7 product keys very recently off Ebay but why buy what you don't need? Every Windows user should have their keys printed out somewhere safe. This does a good job of finding them:

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/...winproductkey/

Windows 7 torrents are available here:

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

I've used them and they're clean, but no telling how long they'll be there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

WUBI has been dropped.

When you boot a Live CD, can you check the health of the hard drive? I'm not sure what tools Lubuntu provides for this, in Xubuntu I use GSmartControl.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by missmoondog View Post
    Windows partitioning tool wouldn't work. Told me disc had errors. Did 2 disc checks, the quick one and long one. Neither reported erros!

Did notice disc had 3 partitions and 4th partition said free space equaled the entire size of disc! Couldn't shrink windows partition as every time I tried shrinking/formatting, said disc had errors.
    how did you check the disk. windows disk check actualyl checks the file system. to check the drive itself you need to use diagnostic software made by manufacturer or you can also use the various freeware and opesource software - for example the one found on Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)

a good tool for changing primary into secondary partition, move partitions etc. is mini tool partition wizzard.

needless to say do a disk clone before any work with partitions (i suggest Clonezilla or Redo Backup)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast