Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chromium flash player update?

Beans

Re: Chromium flash player update?

You still need freshplayer-plugin for the pepperflash to work in firefox or you still get version 11, but now with adobe-flash installed I have flash 19.0.0.226 in both browsers.
    I haven't tried freshplayer-plugin, but I think I will and see how it works. As far as I know, Adobe is still not doing any new development for the Firefox-compatable flash - just the Chromium-compatable. They do only security patches, as we keep getting them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I haven't tried freshplayer-plugin, but I think I will and see how it works. As far as I know, Adobe is still not doing any new development for the Firefox-compatable flash - just the Chromium-compatable. They do only security patches, as we keep getting them.
    Freshplayer-plugin was certainly a bit flaky to start but has been great for quite a while now. Definitely worth trying!

My problem with not getting flash version above 17,0,0,188 was simply that I had installed the pepperflashplugin-nonfree, not realising that adobe-flashplugin was back as the package to use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

As far as I know,
    for Chromium there is a package in Official Ubuntu repositories(multiverse) named "pepperflashplugin-nonfree" that it downloads and integrates the Google Chrome(stable) Flash plugin into Chromium.
    So, for Chromium browser there is no need to install the "flashplugin-installer" package at all.

For Firefox things are different because Mozilla doesn't support the Google's PPAPI so it still uses the old one NPAPI, but as we know Adobe has dropped support for this API and the version is jammed in 11.2.
    Also, for Firefox the Unofficial Fresh Player Plugin exists and it works quite good but it's an unofficial plugin.

I'm in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (fully updated) with Chromium and PepperFlashPlugin-NonFree and Adobe page reports "18,0,0,233 installed".

Beans

I use Google Chrome and have v. 19 (image). I don't use Flash and so I've held back updates to Google Chrome unless there are issues unrelated to Flash that the update fixes.
    The stable channel has been updated to 46.0.2490.80 for Windows, Mac, and Linux. This release contains a critical update to Adobe Flash Player (19.0.0.226).
    from http://googlechromereleases.blogspot...able%20updates
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I use Google Chrome and have v. 19 (image). I don't use Flash and so I've held back updates to Google Chrome unless there are issues unrelated to Flash that the update fixes.from http://googlechromereleases.blogspot...able%20updates
    So, I guess we are waiting for an update of "pepperflashplugin-nonfree" in trusty.

Or,
    if someone is in hurry, he can do the same thing (of what this package does) manually.
    Downloading Google Chrome, extract the Flash Plugin and move it to appropriate place[1].
    Right now, pepperflashplugin-nonfree in trusty reports.
    Version: 1.3ubuntu1
    and from
    /var/cache/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/google-chrome-stable_45.0.2454.85-1_amd64.deb

[1]
    Code:
    wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
    mkdir ChromeTMP
    dpkg-deb -R google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb ChromeTMP
    sudo mv ChromeTMP/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/
    rm google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb && rm ChromeTMP/ -rf
    and Adobe Page should now report "19.0.0.226"
    Last edited by NikTh; October 24th, 2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added the commands for user manual intervention

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Rather than garble what I said why not link to it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post13371241

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post13373608

I'm not 100% sure the adobe-flashplugin package keeps the Chromium flash plugin up-to-date, but that is what the wiki.ubuntu.com links seem to imply. If they do, I'd far rather use the partner repository than a PPA, using instructions which are over 2 years old.
    A thousand pardons, I can see that was lacking in clear information(links).
    And bear in mind the PPA was all I ever knew from testing forward.
    Even though the page is 2 years or more old the PPA is always current
    I never enable the Partners Repo.
    PEPPER FLASH FOR CHROMIUM ON UBUNTU
    This repository provides the pepflashplugin-installer package, which will download and install the newer "Pepper" (PPAPI) version of the Adobe Flash Player plugin for use with the Chromium Web browser on Ubuntu GNU/Linux. The package is similar to Ubuntu's official flashplugin-installer in that it does not include the plugin itself, but instead downloads the plugin and installs it automatically. (Specifically, it downloads the latest Google Chrome package, extracts the Pepper Flash files, and installs only those. Google Chrome itself is not installed nor otherwise used in any way.)
    Some information on the Pepper Flash plugin and how it differs from earlier versions of Flash may be found here:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...-on-linux.html
    SUPPORTED UBUNTU RELEASES
    The pepflashplugin-installer package may be installed on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) or newer, for the amd64 or i386 architecture. It is known to work on 11.10 (Oneiric) if the update-notifier and update-notifier-common packages are upgraded to the version shipped with 12.04. It has not been tested on older releases of Ubuntu.
    With ajgreeny verifing a current version I will no longer
    steer anyone to this method, But I will continue to use for myself.
    Seems still by all the post's no clear direction.
    Hope that was not taken offensive.
    Kind Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I agree with runrickus's comment that there seems to be no clear direction anywhere on how best to install flash at the moment, and it does appear to be a very confusing situation with that Getting Flash wiki not being the easiest to find in all the many flash links that appear when you search.

My one final comment, however, is that by installing both adobe-flashplugin from the partner repos and freshplayerplugin from the nilarimogard-webupd8 repos I now have a fully working flash version 19.0.0.226 in both my chromium and firefox browsers.

Beans

Instead of updating adobe.com with your recent flash version, or even starting
    your browser and inserting aboutlugins , the following script might be of help :

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

FLASH_LIB=/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    #FLASH_LIB=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    #FLASH_LIB=/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so

FLASH_ARCH=`file $FLASH_LIB | sed 's/ELF/\n\nELF/' |\
             sed 's/version/\nversion/'`
    LNX_ENGINE=`strings $FLASH_LIB | grep Linux-Player`
    LNX_FLASH=`strings $FLASH_LIB | grep LNX`
    ADOBE_FLASH=`strings $FLASH_LIB | grep Shockwave | grep 1`
    ADOBE_PTNTS=`strings $FLASH_LIB | grep "^AdobePatentID" |\
             awk '{print "                "$1 }'`
    ADOBE_CPRGHT=`strings $FLASH_LIB |\
             grep -i Copyright | sed 's/^.*Copyright/Copyright/' |\
             sed 's/reserved.*$/reserved./' | sed 's/All/\nAll/'`

echo "$FLASH_ARCH "
    echo "Linux Engine  : $LNX_ENGINE "
    echo "Flash Version : $LNX_FLASH "
    echo "Adobe Version : $ADOBE_FLASH "
    echo "$ADOBE_PTNTS "
    echo "$ADOBE_CPRGHT "

exit 0
    to find the full path of libflashplayer.so type

Code:
    stock@acer30u:~$ locate libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    stock@acer30u:~$
    Code:
    stock@acer30u:~$ flashv 
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so: 

ELF 64-bit LSB  shared object, x86-64, 
    version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped 
    Linux Engine  : Linux-Player-64-2011080916100 
    Flash Version : LNX 11,2,202,554 
    Adobe Version : Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 
                    AdobePatentID="P057"
                    AdobePatentID="P297"
                    AdobePatentID="P650"
                    AdobePatentID="P656"
                    AdobePatentID="P912"
                    AdobePatentID="P052"
                    AdobePatentID="B1156"
                    AdobePatentID="P649"
                    AdobePatentID="B598" 
    Copyright 2008 Adobe Systems Incorporated. 
    All rights reserved. 
    stock@acer30u:~$

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12