Thread: Install on an old ZOTAC AD11 plus mini PC? Is it possible?

Beans

Install on an old ZOTAC AD11 plus mini PC? Is it possible?

Hi,
    I'm about to receive a ZOTAC AD11 plus mini PC in the next few days. It's old and has win 10 installed, so I expect it to run like an inebriated snail , but I'd like to try to install either Lubuntu or Xubuntu if possible. It has an AMD dual core E-450 CPU,AMD Radeon HD 6320 graphics, 2Gb of ddr3 memory, usb2 and 3, esata, a card reader, an infra red remote, and a 64Gb mSata drive. I have no idea what the motherboard is. If it turns out to be worth it I'll up the memory to the max 4Gb allowed and install a larger mSata drive.
    I'm scouring the web for information but not found much. If anyone has ever installed ubuntu on such a machine or one similar any advice about installation and its pitfalls would be much appreciated.

Regards Steve
    Last edited by steveis2; January 17th, 2021 at 07:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Install on an old ZOTAC AD11 plus mini PC? Is it possible?

I don't anticipate any problem, fairly common hardware.

Beans

If anyone has ever installed ubuntu on such a machine or one similar any advice about installation and its pitfalls would be much appreciated.
    I have a Zotac ID18 - (if model number had 'I' its Intel, if 'A' is AMD.) which was bought in 2014. Its the original style Zotac case. You can google the specs, but its UEFI, with Celeron pricessor and integrated graphics.
    Currently has Ubuntu MATE and Manjaro XFCE installed in dual boot. I had no problem installing any OS on this machine. In fact, the UEFI is easier to work with than on my newer machines. I had Ubuntu Gnome installed at one time and even that ran OK.

Important!
    Be sure to use an SSD drive - that makes a world of difference.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    I don't anticipate any problem, fairly common hardware.
    That's a very encoraging reply.

Steve

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I have a Zotac ID18 - (if model number had 'I' its Intel, if 'A' is AMD.) which was bought in 2014. Its the original style Zotac case. You can google the specs, but its UEFI, with Celeron pricessor and integrated graphics.
    Currently has Ubuntu MATE and Manjaro XFCE installed in dual boot. I had no problem installing any OS on this machine. In fact, the UEFI is easier to work with than on my newer machines. I had Ubuntu Gnome installed at one time and even that ran OK.

Important!
    Be sure to use an SSD drive - that makes a world of difference.
    Thanks for your reply. I was a bit worried it might not work with such limited and old hardware. It does have an infrared remote which I think might be a problem but even if that doesn't work it sounds like everything else should be ok.

Steve