Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Sucks & Why Linux Does Not Suck (Lunduke)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Video: Why Desktop Linux Sucks

From LinuxFoundation.org
    The name of the video: "Why Desktop Linux Sucks and What we can do about it"

The Video

If you dont have 40 minutes to watch it all, just skip to somewhere around 26→27 but it is all kind of interesting... I say "kind of" as it is something we all "kind of" know already but never thought about perhaps.

This video inspired me to promise my self to donate to every program I use regularly, starting 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Video: Why Desktop Linux Sucks

Video player doesn't allow seeking. Must be one of the reasons...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I saw the "Linux Sucks" presentation. It was very enjoyable, and the speaker made a lot of great points.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I watched the video last night and I thought it was great. The presenter was right on in a lot of the issues concerning the popularity and functionality of desktop Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Everything he said makes perfect sense, but you will have about 1000 people saying claiming blasphemy.

Oh and the guy in the back with the white t-shirt, huge watch, and glasses for some reason made me want to punch him.
    Last edited by Icehuck; May 1st, 2009 at 05:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wow, that video was great! I doubt anything is really going to improve for the desktop. We're the users that aren't willing to throw money at problems, unlike businesses. I enjoy using Linux, but the lack of applications and system problems prevent me from using it anywhere near full time.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

ugh... i hate when people call it "uh-bun-too"

Beans

Its FUD, why this is being proposed by the so called "linuix foundation"
    I dont know...
    Perhaps a microsoft buyout...
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't like everything this guy is saying. Standardization of packages would make it easier for linux as a whole but it would take away freedom.

I haven't experienced any audio, or wifi problems so I don't know about that.

What I do agree with though is that one of the major flaws of linux is that it needs some kind of revenue to advance. And I'm unsure how to remedy that, I'm not even sure its possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Its FUD, why this is being proposed by the so called "linuix foundation"
    I dont know...
    Perhaps a microsoft buyout...
    see the problem with linux? when we the users cant look at our selves in the face and tell ourselves what needs to be improved on with the linux desktops.. its not every linux problem that is hardware or proprietary software based. some are just obsession with bleeding edge and lack of standard way of doing things. i once talked about some issues i was having in the testimonial section and i was flamed down despite being very objective in my post. some people just cant stand objective criticism of Linux to them its tantamount to blasphemy. i completely agree with most of what was said in the videos and this are problems that lots of users face every day on the Linux desktop. non standardization of the audio framework,obsession with bleeding edge technologies that often times break compatibility and causes regressions, shipping buggy softwares with what is suppose to be a final release. scraping tested and trusted for bleeding edge technologies that are not ready for primetime and are less buggy than what they are replacing causing more problems than is solved. yeah i know the flames will start coming now. but whether you take it or not these things are the realities of the linux desktop today.
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast