Thread: Unsubscribe + Remove PPA Subscriptions + Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Unsubscribe + Remove PPA Subscriptions + Packages

Hey everyone, a few weeks ago I added a PPA to enable me to see the percentage of my battery charge when I clicked on the Power Management applet instead of the (estimating...) constantly show... now as it turns out the code I've installed is a little buggy in its early stages still and seems to be freezing (ex. When my battery is fully charged. I unplug the charger but the icon still states "Battery is fully charged" right up until the point when it reaches 10% and asks me to plug in a charger).

ANYHOW.. my question is, how do I go about removing this PPA from my Update manager and remove the packages I've installed? Can I just locate them in Synaptic Package Manager... but then how do I remove them from popping up on my "Update Manager" ?

Any info or even a link would be great...
    Thanks in advance!
    WARNING: NOOB!
    Dual Boot - ******* 7 + Kubuntu 10.10 (Both 64bit) Separate Partitions
    HP DV6 1340sa (Laptop-Make+Model) 2.4Ghz Intel Core2 Duo (CPU) 4GB (Memory)

Beans

Re: Unsubscribe + Remove PPA Subscriptions + Packages

Run Software Sources from the system > administration menu. And on the "other software" tab, you should be able to de-check the repository for that program. To remove it, (I'd recommended doing this before removing the repository) Run Synaptic from the System Administration Menu and find your program, click it, and select either Mark for Removal or Mark for Complete Removal.

Best of luck!
    For a full signature / about me, see my website.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Unsubscribe + Remove PPA Subscriptions + Packages

Quote Originally Posted by takisan View Post
    Run Software Sources from the system > administration menu. And on the "other software" tab, you should be able to de-check the repository for that program. To remove it, (I'd recommended doing this before removing the repository) Run Synaptic from the System Administration Menu and find your program, click it, and select either Mark for Removal or Mark for Complete Removal.

Best of luck!
    Thanks mate - I've attached a screenshot - When I go to remove the 2 packages listed in the PPA, Synaptics give me this pop up, just cuz I see Gnome etc in there I just want to clarify does it look safe? I take it will be just removing the code it has modified and returning it to its previous state, or am in a bit of trouble?

I located the "Other Software" in "System>Administration>Software Sources-Other Software" tab... cheers mate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Yes, keep all of the gnome stuff. Even I can't (re)-install GUIs from the command line. Do you get those remove for both of them, or marking just one of them?

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Unsubscribe + Remove PPA Subscriptions + Packages

Quote Originally Posted by takisan View Post
    Yes, keep all of the gnome stuff. Even I can't (re)-install GUIs from the command line. Do you get those remove for both of them, or marking just one of them?
    No, there are 2 packages that are listed on the guys PPA website

1. gnome-power-manager (This one doesn't seem to want to remove anything else)
    2. upower - this one here wants to mark more packages for removal, as seen in the previous screenshot I posted...

Go with removing just the first one in synaptics? Reboot and cross my fingers I dont kill anything?

Thats a bit crap though if You install pretty much PPA's for little fixes etc, its a one way road, You can't safely remove them again without the risk of damage, or is this due to wrong coding in the packages I'm installing, or just because the package is linked to the gnome applets?

What I'm asking is guess-work, just trying to learn as I go along!

~Thanks for Your time and patience mate!

Beans

Try installing the gnome-power-manager from the standard ubuntu repository, and then that should autoremove the gnome-power-manager from the ppa you're subscribed to. Then also mark power-manager to be removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dark7man,

This might be what you want: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/ppa-p...ia-getdeb.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i am having a similar problem but when i try to open synaptic i get an error message saying that the list of sources cannot be read and gives me a specific ppa, which i believe is the problem, and then closes. is there a way to remove that ppa from the command line without using synaptic? i have seen several sites saying to use ppa-purge to remove a ppa but when i try to run that it says command not found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

OK, what you need is PPA Purge. It will remove the PPA as well as revert any changes from it. I use it from within Ubuntu-Tweak:
    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ and see screen below. I do see a package for ppa-purge in the universe repo if you want to use it manually.
    @netopalis45
    U-Tweak also has a source editor or use this terminal command:
    Code:
    gksu software-properties-gtk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lidex; January 7th, 2011 at 06:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by netopalis45 View Post
    is there a way to remove that ppa from the command line without using synaptic?
    Edit your software sources file manually
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Add a comment mark # in front of the PPA you don't want.

It's possible that the PPA will be listed in a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ instead of /etc/apt/sources.list. In that case you would run
    Code:
    sudo rm foo.list
    where foo is that appropriate file name.

When you're done with the above, run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update