Thread: Pure Xubuntu on Raring

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Pure Xubuntu on Raring

I've noticed that Raring comes packed with a ton of gnome packages and I'm wondering about the practicability and safety, in what system's stability is concerned, of doing something like "Getting Back to a Pure Xubuntu".
    Last edited by slickymaster; March 25th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Pure Xubuntu on Raring

As far as I can see that tutorial is a kind of reverse engineering. Install Xubuntu. Add Ubuntu Desktop or one of the other desktops). Note the packages installed. Mark these as the packages to remove to get back to a "pure" Xubuntu.

These removal commands were created based on what Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. packages were added to a default Xubuntu installation.
    I suggest that there is a big difference between 12.10 and 13.04. To answer your question you must re-run the experiment on a "pure" Xubuntu Raring Ringtail. I am one of those people who think that "pure" Xubuntu is Xubuntu installed from a Xubuntu ISO image. If I wanted to try out Xubuntu or any of the others I would install them on another partition and test from there. Right now I have Ubuntu Kylin on a USB stick. I do not think it sensible to install other desktops over a "pure" install of a Ubuntu flavour.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    As far as I can see that tutorial is a kind of reverse engineering. Install Xubuntu. Add Ubuntu Desktop or one of the other desktops). Note the packages installed. Mark these as the packages to remove to get back to a "pure" Xubuntu.

I suggest that there is a big difference between 12.10 and 13.04. To answer your question you must re-run the experiment on a "pure" Xubuntu Raring Ringtail. I am one of those people who think that "pure" Xubuntu is Xubuntu installed from a Xubuntu ISO image. If I wanted to try out Xubuntu or any of the others I would install them on another partition and test from there. Right now I have Ubuntu Kylin on a USB stick. I do not think it sensible to install other desktops over a "pure" install of a Ubuntu flavour.

Regards.
    In my experience there is always a chance of interfection of depends, meaning that getting back to a pure Xubuntu is almost impossible (is possible if you are willing to spend the downtime cleaning it up). This also goes for other distros or flavours. If I have Ubuntu (unity default) and install Xubuntu-desktop it will interfect Unity, and vis a versa. Kubuntu is especially problematic in both scenarios. It will completely interfect a Unity default install . Cairo -doc has also regressed in this area.. especially with Quantal and Raring.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    As far as I can see that tutorial is a kind of reverse engineering. Install Xubuntu. Add Ubuntu Desktop or one of the other desktops). Note the packages installed. Mark these as the packages to remove to get back to a "pure" Xubuntu
    .../
    /...
    Regards.
    I agree with you, it's a sort of reverse engineering.

But, I have a pure Xubuntu Raring Ringtail (installed from a Xubuntu ISO image), running on a VirtualBox, but nevertheless after removing some gnome packages, when I run
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome
    I get this much
    Code:
    gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0   install
    gnome-accessibility-themes   install
    gnome-bluetooth     install
    gnome-calculator    install
    gnome-control-center    install
    gnome-control-center-data   install
    gnome-desktop-data    install
    gnome-desktop3-data    install
    gnome-icon-theme    install
    gnome-icon-theme-symbolic   install
    gnome-keyring     install
    gnome-menus     install
    gnome-session-bin    install
    gnome-settings-daemon    install
    gnome-system-tools    install
    gnome-time-admin    install
    gnome-user-guide    install
    gnome-user-share    install
    gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs:i386   install
    language-pack-gnome-en    install
    language-pack-gnome-en-base   install
    language-selector-gnome    install
    libgnome-bluetooth11    install
    libgnome-control-center1   install
    libgnome-desktop-3-4    install
    libgnome-keyring-common    install
    libgnome-keyring0:i386    install
    libgnome-menu-3-0    install
    libgnomekbd-common    install
    libgnomekbd8     install
    libgnomevfs2-0:i386    install
    libgnomevfs2-common    install
    libgnomevfs2-extra:i386    install
    libp11-kit-gnome-keyring:i386   install
    libpam-gnome-keyring:i386   install
    libsoup-gnome2.4-1:i386    install
    network-manager-gnome    install
    network-manager-pptp-gnome   install
    policykit-1-gnome    install
    python-gnomekeyring    install
    system-config-printer-gnome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    In my experience there is always a chance of interfection of depends, meaning that getting back to a pure Xubuntu is almost impossible (is possible if you are willing to spend the downtime cleaning it up). This also goes for other distros or flavours. If I have Ubuntu (unity default) and install Xubuntu-desktop it will interfect Unity, and vis a versa. Kubuntu is especially problematic in both scenarios. It will completely interfect a Unity default install . Cairo -doc has also regressed in this area.. especially with Quantal and Raring.
    That was my primary intention/idea, even though the time I would spent on trying to achieve it. But then the doubt cross my mind if doing it I would completely mess up the system due to the possibility of interference of depends.
    That was the reason that led me to this thread. I thought that maybe someone had tried it and I was just searching for some feedback on the attempt.

I think my question is dully answered. Thank you both on your considerations.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    I agree with you, it's a sort of reverse engineering.

But, I have a pure Xubuntu Raring Ringtail (installed from a Xubuntu ISO image), running on a VirtualBox, but nevertheless after removing some gnome packages, when I run
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome
    I get this much
    If I may ... Several GNOME packages are used by both "pure" Xubuntu and "pure" Lubuntu because they're most suited for the job or there's nothing lighter available.
    For example, both Xubuntu and Lubuntu come with evince and network-manager-gnome, as does Ubuntu. But neither Xubuntu nor Lubuntu use gnome-terminal or gnome-screenshot. Instead, they have their own (presumably) lighter versions.
    Last edited by vasa1; March 25th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    If I may ... Several GNOME packages are used by both "pure" Xubuntu and "pure" Lubuntu because they're most suited for the job or there's nothing lighter available.
    For example, both Xubuntu and Lubuntu come with GNOME's Evince, as does Ubuntu. But neither Xubuntu nor Lubuntu use gnome-terminal or gnome-screenshot. Instead, they have their own (presumably) lighter versions.
    Exactly. And that's why I was wondering if anyone had tried it and thus providing some pointers concerning on what packages you really shouldn't mess with, and the ones you could freely remove.
    Last edited by slickymaster; March 25th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.