Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Ubuntu

Beans

New to Ubuntu

Good day people. Im just new to the OS Linux, with no background around it. I was scanning all over the beginner's forum but I found out it has a very broad range. I was wondering if there would be someone who could help start my learning about Ubuntu. Thank you so much!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by boomz View Post
    Good day people. Im just new to the OS Linux, with no background around it. I was scanning all over the beginner's forum but I found out it has a very broad range. I was wondering if there would be someone who could help start my learning about Ubuntu. Thank you so much!
    Your always welcome on the forums.

But what do you wan't to use Ubuntu for?

General, development (web, applications in a specific language), games, design, something else.

Myself i don't use Ubuntu as much.
    At work i'am working on Debian servers, and at home i got a Win7 machine, because i like to play games and i use packet tracer for cisco virtulisation and emulation in GNS3.

Which is not that good in Linux in general.

But a good way is just to play with it and ask when you have a question.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

The link in my signature to aysiu's guide may be a place to start.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

I personally started out with trying out things to speed linux up - which I found to be a really quick way to get comfortable with linux and get into the nitty gritties of it all . I suggest you start out the same. Google is your friend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by boomz View Post
    If you are using ubuntu 12.04 hit the Dash button top left and then type help and hit enter. A pop up desktop guide should appear.

Happy reading and welcome to the forums. Also see the links below for Unity.

Beans

Drenriza, I prefer to use linux for development and internet surfing. I read reviews that using with linux is more in a faster pace than other OS.

BlinkinCat, going to check that one sir!

blade4, that's also one probably i see, because the speed in connection with my linux right now is not the one i expected, but i know I still need to tweak this one up. okay sir, gonna google that one up.

philinux, im not sure if this is the latest release, but gonna check that one out.

Thank you so much!

philinux, im not sure if this is the latest release, but gonna check that one out.
    It currently is. It is Long Term Support (LTS) version, so updates will be provided. For non-LTS, support only lasts 18 months.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

boomz; I add my welcome to the forum too.

Here are a couple of links I found to be directional and of continued use.
    http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
    http://mywiki.wooledge.org/FullBashGuide

I find that knowing bash is an indispensable asset.
    warm regards <==BDQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I too am new to Linux Ubuntu 12.4. I've got a new box with a lot of horsepower and I'm enjoying all the cool graphics and capabilities of the Linux OS. Don't hesitate to ask these guys anything, there is no stupid Question. Everyone has felt frustrated and overwhelmed at sometime. These great people are here to help and they do an outstanding job

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    boomz; I add my welcome to the forum too.

Here are a couple of links I found to be directional and of continued use.
    http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
    http://mywiki.wooledge.org/FullBashGuide

I find that knowing bash is an indispensable asset.
    warm regards <==BDQ
    Thank you for the link sir gonna read that soon.

And the rest who gave their insights. Finally I have set-up my Ubuntu on my laptop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast