Thread: Change V4L2 to V4L?

Beans

Change V4L2 to V4L?

Back when I first initially used Ubuntu my webcam worked flawlessly everywhere. I believe the version was 8.01 or something of the like but at the time I had wireless internet and it was a HUGE hassle so I switched back to windows. Now (10.04) the drivers for webcams seem to have changed from V4L to V4L2 and I had to configure things here and there to make my webcam work and I've got everything working except for userplane chats. I get a REALLY zoomed picture very rather poor quality. I want to get rid of V4L2 and get V4L back.

I assume this is possible but I haven't the slightest clue on how to make it work.

First off, it says I require a kernel 2.6.x up to 2.6.11 now.. I haven't the slighest clue on how to "make" my own kernel or whatever. If I recall correctly there was a button I could press before, perhaps on boot-up, to change what kernel I could log-on with? Is it the same before? Is the kernel required even listed if so? If not, I have absolutely no close how to "make" my own.

Secondly, I've thoroughly read the install doc that came with the drivers I looked up for my webcam and I don't quite understand this either:

Code:
    Compiling it
    ============
    The driver module can be built without modifying your kernel source tree.

Before trying to compile the driver, ensure that you've configured your
    kernel, and updated the dependencies:
    'make [config|menuconfig|xconfig]; make dep'.

Make sure, when compiling the driver, you use the same version of compiler as
    was used to compile your kernel. Not doing so can create incompatible binaries.

as root
    goes to gspcav1 directory and run:
    ./gspca_build
    Can ANYONE help me in anyway whatsoever? Even if it's the slightest amount of information on either of the problems I've listed it would be a great help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Change V4L2 to V4L?

Run gstreamer-properties in a Terminal window, in the window that opens click the 'Video' tab, change the 'Default Input'.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Run gstreamer-properties in a Terminal window, in the window that opens click the 'Video' tab, change the 'Default Input'.
    I ended up with this.

I'll assume it's because I don't have the driver instead.
    Last edited by dougydecimate; October 6th, 2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Picture was too big.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Standard usb webcams should mostly just work without you having to install drivers from CDs like in Window. Have you tried it on a clean Lucid installation? Can you post the output of lsusb .

Beans

he most likely needs the v4l compat so file

the v4l is part of v4l2 now days

Beans

Nevermind. I fixed it.

Had to set the website (userplane.com) to "always allow" on this site.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager09.html
    Last edited by dougydecimate; October 8th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.