Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Beans

Re: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

I'll post it when I am finished. I'm adding a warning about malicious commands at the beginning - like sudo rm -rf /.
    "Zero zero zero zero zero zero one! Zero zero zero zero zero one one! Zero zero zero zero one one one! Zero zero zero one one one one! Oh, oh oh one, oh oh one! Come on sucker, now lick my battery!"

Beans

This is taking much longer than planned. It's a huge task. Look at the attached text file.

Call it "Edition 0.1" if you want
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Atomic-Fanboy; February 5th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    "Zero zero zero zero zero zero one! Zero zero zero zero zero one one! Zero zero zero zero one one one! Zero zero zero one one one one! Oh, oh oh one, oh oh one! Come on sucker, now lick my battery!"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic-Fanboy View Post
    This is taking much longer than planned. It's a huge task. Look at the attached text file.

Call it "Edition 0.1" if you want
    Excellent work, Atomic! Thanks for sharing. I'll link it in the master index, and you can update it as you go.

Beans

Thanks. If you (or anyone else!) find a mistake, please let me know!

Beans

So many resources here, I'm not sure my cursory read through them (with the intent to return) was enough to find out if mine is a duplicate, and I'm too lazy to use Ctrl-F in the browser...

http://ss64.com/bash/ -- This one is great because if you hack the URL up to the domain root, you find a few other references which tie into shells on other platforms. Seemed to me that whatever skills developed on one are transferable to a multitude of others.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by omniblather View Post
    So many resources here, I'm not sure my cursory read through them (with the intent to return) was enough to find out if mine is a duplicate, and I'm too lazy to use Ctrl-F in the browser...

http://ss64.com/bash/ -- This one is great because if you hack the URL up to the domain root, you find a few other references which tie into shells on other platforms. Seemed to me that whatever skills developed on one are transferable to a multitude of others.
    Very good resource. I've added it.

Beans

This is a Great resource that is overlooked easily by new users ESPECIALLY the first 3 links .. This link should be in its own forum link at the top of the Ubuntu forum just like absolute beginner talk and Main support categories with its own header same as the title here .. I would have spent a few less hours searching for what I wanted to know If I saw this on my first trip back into the forums ... A large amount of questions revolve around the basic manuals that you have put in one place Heck even if it is a perma link to this thread would work.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic-Fanboy View Post
    Although Linux Command is listed here, the is a PDF called 'The Linux Command Line' by William E Shotts Junior. It's very good... but is 500+ pages long.

There is also a program called CLI Companion that may help too.

CLI companion is great way for anyone new to the terminal to keep track of commands and what they do.
    It is also very useful for more experienced users as it has a searchable command list and has a very simple interface with a built in terminal.

I have put a link to obtain it in my signature below.

Available via PPA or as a .deb package.

I would recommend everyone at least giving it a try!

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast