Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Services

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Services

I am using ubuntu 9.10, in menu system --> administration
    there is no service menu. i want to know about, how to install GUI service manager in ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Services

Quote Originally Posted by Satendra.kohli View Post
    I am using ubuntu 9.10, in menu system --> administration
    there is no service menu. i want to know about, how to install GUI service manager in ubuntu 9.10
    Hi,

What do you mean by 'Service' ? What are you looking to be able to do ?

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    Hi,

What do you mean by 'Service' ? What are you looking to be able to do ?

Regards,

Phill.
    We are looking how to start and stop services using GUI tool

Beans
    Distro

What Services are you referring to ? I think you are thinking of the background processes that Win runs - Ubuntu does not work that way.

Regards,

Phill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unlike Windows, Linux does not have "Services". If you want to find out what processes are running on your computer, use the following command in a terminal -

ps -x

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I believe it is there under Administration on my 9.10. You might look under menu to see if yours in not enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What Services are you referring to ? I think you are thinking of the background processes that Win runs - Ubuntu does not work that way.

Regards,

Phill
    Quote Originally Posted by dhavalbbhatt View Post
    Unlike Windows, Linux does not have "Services". If you want to find out what processes are running on your computer, use the following command in a terminal -

ps -x
    Ubuntu does use background processes, and certainly does run services (more commonly known as daemons)

For an easy GUI way, download Ubuntu Tweak and check the Autostart tab to edit services that start up with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
    Ubuntu does use background processes, and certainly does run services (more commonly known as daemons)

For an easy GUI way, download Ubuntu Tweak and check the Autostart tab to edit services that start up with Ubuntu.
    The difference between Services & daemons and processes between the two O/S's is quite a lot. A lot of 'Services are built into the kernel - Getting a new-comer to re-complies their own kernel is not to be advised.

Killing processes willy nilly within Ubuntu is not recommended either. If you wish to stop a process, you can issue the stop command from the Terminal.

Uninstalling the service is quite unnecessary. There are always ways to stop them and keep them from starting up on boot. I admit that in Ubuntu I haven't found an easy way to do this since the Services GUI is quite useless, it will not go into Admin mode (for me). In Fedora, there is chkconfig which is quite easy to use and does not require uninstalling the programs. In truth , uninstalling software manually under linux is not a good idea unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

What chkconfig really does is get rid of the script in the corresponding folder (depending on the run level you are at) which is usually /etc/rc5.d. When you shut down, then the scripts in that folder will be shut down. The ones that will startup up begin with a capital S, the ones to shut down with a capital K.

Don't mess too much with this stuff if you don't know what you are doing.

I have to add though, that bluetooth, etc is NOT part of the kernel, they are daemons that you CAN prevent from starting up and indeed you should if you do not need them.

For bluetooth specifically, you can delete this script from /etc/rc5.d:

S25bluez-utils

it is only a softlink to another script in /etc/init.d/bluez-utils. Make sure you do not delete the ones in /etc/init.d, just the links in the /etc/rc5.d. That way you can always get them back by creating another soft link.

Now, I'm new to ubuntu (but I checked all this that I am saying before posting and indeed it is the same as in Fedora) and would like to know if there is a gui or command line tool to manage services. Having to delete the links manually is quite a chore.
    sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf

this is to get the software, then you run it with this: sudo sysv-rc-conf

It looks a lot like chkconfig. Will allow you to start and stop services at boot. You probably want to stay with the number 5 where it says services, this is the run level with a graphical interface, leave the rest as is.

Cheers
    Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The difference between Services & daemons and processes between the two O/S's is quite a lot. A lot of 'Services are built into the kernel - Getting a new-comer to re-complies their own kernel is not to be advised.

Killing processes willy nilly within Ubuntu is not recommended either. If you wish to stop a process, you can issue the stop command from the Terminal.

Regards,

Phill.

Who said anything about re-compiling kernels?

Most things that people would want to enable/disable can easily and safely be done through a tool like Ubuntu Tweak.

We don't need to make things so complicated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In Jaunty there was in System > Admin > Services

In was a GUI to enable services at boot (not startup applications), e.g u have ssh server, u could easily turn it on or off at boot... This is gone now. I dont like it neither... It was an easy and fast way to manage your init.d ....

Now the only GUI u have left is startup applications, which is not the same as services..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1301543

But i am not sure how to solve this now, as i always did it the GUI.
    Perhaps someone here knows, e.g for open-ssh

How i can enable/ disbale it at boot....
    Last edited by Ordes; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
    To mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools [at top]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast