Question Dropbox keeps unlinking after reboot

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Dropbox.

I have the following setup

1 HDD
    4 partitions:
    Linux, Swap, Windows, Data (ntfs)

I have my dropbox folder on /media/kingkong/Data/Dropbox
    Every time I reboot Ubuntu Dropbox says that the Dropbox link is missing and I need to relink it.

I don't want to have Dropbox in my Home folder because windows can't find it than.

I've tried to create a link of /media/kingkong/Data/Dropbox to /home/kingkong/Dropbox but then it says that the system link is broken after I restart my system.

Any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dropbox keeps unlinking after reboot

I always had DropBox issues. I suggest you use instead. Ubuntuone...much more stable and sync's very well. Just a suggestion..
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Something like that happened to me recently. Dropbox would ask for linking the computer at every login.

The solution was to wipe to user installation of Dropbox. Dropbox silently installs itself in your home folder, you need to delete that, things like apt-get remove dropbox won't work. The following terminal commands solved it.
    Code:
    dropbox stop
    rm -rf ~/.dropbox*
    dropbox start -i
    Dropbox setup and linking should start, hopefully for the last time.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    I always had DropBox issues. I suggest you use instead. Ubuntuone...much more stable and sync's very well. Just a suggestion..
    I want to use Dropbox because me and some of my classmates have a shared folder. And my Android phone uploads all the photo's and movies to it. And I would love to keep that. And I already have 10 GB storage for free, by sharing folders.

Quote Originally Posted by LewisTM View Post
    Something like that happened to me recently. Dropbox would ask for linking the computer at every login.

The solution was to wipe to user installation of Dropbox. Dropbox silently installs itself in your home folder, you need to delete that, things like apt-get remove dropbox won't work. The following terminal commands solved it.
    Code:
    dropbox stop
    rm -rf ~/.dropbox*
    dropbox start -i
    Dropbox setup and linking should start, hopefully for the last time.

Cheers!
    I just tried this and at first it looked like it was working. But once again it says that the link is missing.
    I can relink it every single time but if it could do it automatically that would be great.
    Maybe by using a login script?

Beans

I had a similar problem, it looked like the disk wasn't mounted when Dropbox looked for it.

I followed the steps here to mount the disk on startup and the error stopped
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ountPartitions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ejstans View Post
    I had a similar problem, it looked like the disk wasn't mounted when Dropbox looked for it.

Thanks
    I'm going to try the Systemwide Mounts this weekend.
    Looks great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ejstans View Post

GOD guided me straight to your answer. Thanks so much!! That helped. Dropbox is no longer asking me to relink.