Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Old Lubuntu 16.04

Beans

Re: Good Old Lubuntu 16.04

One of the useful advantages of the true lightweight Linux distros is they will run great on most of my 8 and 10 year old computers without problems.
    When Lubuntu fails to work which isn't very offer in my personal experience I then will install Antix Linux which will run on most any computer I have installed it on.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    One of the useful advantages of the true lightweight Linux distros is they will run great on most of my 8 and 10 year old computers without problems.
    When Lubuntu fails to work which isn't very offer in my personal experience I then will install Antix Linux which will run on most any computer I have installed it on.
    The main thing is to use what works for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bearlake View Post
    The main thing is to use what works for you.
    100% Agree.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Over the years, I have saved a lot of money by buying used computers or having them given to me by frustrated former users.
    The cost of learning linux was cheap too. And the cost of installing linux instead of buying windows or mac os is so much cheaper too!
    I really feel good about linux. And these days, I still run all my favorite windows programs on linux anyhow!
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi

Beans

Xfce works well for me on semi-old to older hardware. I find that it is the most consistent DE and it's light on ressources compared to Unity, Gnome3, KDE ect.

Linux Mint Xfce 18.1 runs smoothly on my 8 years old Dell Latitude laptop with 2GB of RAM and Intel Core 2 processor.
    Last edited by night_sky2; March 6th, 2017 at 07:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

What if I tell you there is a distribution that is much lighter than Lubuntu?

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=torios

Give it a try

Beans

@amjjaward
    I have heard of ToriOS and haven't given it a try yet but plan on it in the near future.

@yoshii
    "Puppy Linux is like the swiss army knife of Linuxes". (I like that)
    Yep Puppy is A-OK and one of my favorites also.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by night_sky2 View Post
    Xfce works well for me on semi-old to older hardware. I find that it is the most consistent DE and it's light on ressources compared to Unity, Gnome3, KDE ect.

Linux Mint Xfce 18.1 runs smoothly on my 8 years old Dell Latitude laptop with 2GB of RAM and Intel Core 2 processor.
    Wife uses LM 18 Xfce on her 2006 Acer laptop with 2GB of RAM and Intel Core 2 processor it does run pretty well.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123