Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skype

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Skype

Quote Originally Posted by lonniehenry View Post
    It stopped working on saucy with 3.9.0-1 kernel that was updated fully and still doesn't work with 3.9.0-2 kernel. Running from term shows error

(thunderbird:6180): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: g_menu_item_set_detailed_action: Detailed action name 'mailbox:///home/saucy/.thunderbird/at0ot27z.default/Mail/pop.roadrunner.com/Inbox' has invalid format
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
    Any ideas. There were glib updates yesterday, possible?
    I had the same problem when I started Thunderbird when I got home from work this morning, starting in safe-mode, and disabling add-ons allowed me to deal with my email, I updated both this morning, and then about an hour ago, I re-enabled all the add-ons and restarted Thunderbird, and all is good again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I had the same problem when I started Thunderbird when I got home from work this morning, starting in safe-mode, and disabling add-ons allowed me to deal with my email, I updated both this morning, and then about an hour ago, I re-enabled all the add-ons and restarted Thunderbird, and all is good again.
    Meanwhile, Skype on 13.10 Saucy Salamander is still core dumping when started, as of today, having worked fine yesterday (and for weeks before and after the upgrade from RR)

Can we get back(?) to a sensible discussion of the topic of this thread, why is Skype suddenly not working? On 13.10 Ubuntu 64 bit? Which gets dozens of updates everyday, any one of which could quite possibly mess up the functioning of a program that worked fine yestreday?

Yes, MS may be responsible for the code, but Ubuntu/Canonical is responsible for the environment in which I'm running it. It's not a matter of blame or shame, but something changed, and Skype doesn't work any more. Can we find out why?

Running Skype in a terminal simply gives the "core dumped, segmentation fault" message. Where should I look for possible informative messages?

Does this from syslog give anyone any clue?

May 15 20:12:24 scRR kernel: [ 3442.747203] traps: skype[23828] general protection ip:8075f44 sp:ff911d7c error:0 in skype[8048000+1a7c000]
    Last edited by scradock; May 16th, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The skype problem could be any number of things, keep in mind that the 64-bit version is only a wrapper around the regular 32bit version, so I'd suggest checking the multi-arch packages.

Beans
    Distro

Looking through the dependancies libc6>=2.7 may have something to do with it as saucy is at version 2.17-0ubuntu5. Don't know if that is it nor do I know how to fix.
    HP g72t icore3 with intel graphics and broadcom 4313 wireless running 13.04unity, Ubuntu GNOME updated to 13.10 and a 13.10 unity. Plus using older desktop machine running 12.04 Lubuntu with nvidia geforce mx400.

Beans

Confirming skype segfaulting.

From dmesg:
    [29599.286290] traps: skype[5941] general protection ip:8075f44 sp:fff8d4ac error:0 in skype[8048000+1a7c000]

Beans
    Distro

After checking, I find that skype worked on 13.10 BEFORE the upgrade on May 15th that introduced linux-image-3.9.0-2-generic, and didn't work after.

Booting into the older kernels 3.9.0-1-generic or 3.8-0-19-generic does not help, so it looks as if it was one of the other packages updated at the same time.

Skype was NOT updated for me at the same time, so it doesn't look like a change in skype.

libc6 itself does not appear to have been changed, but linux-libc-dev was. Could that be the culprit?

skype and skype-bin:i386 don't have changelogs, but the maintainer is listed as Steve Langasek @ canonical. Guess I could try an email to him?
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Now I am Mad! :p

Please report problems to the appropriate place, if it's packages maintained by Ubuntu, report the problems to launchpad, report Gnome, XFCE LXDE or KDE packages to their respective bug trackers. For partner packages, Skype, Acrobat etc, report them to the package producers. You can tell where the packages originate, if you use synaptic, and click the Origins button.
    How do you find out via the command line?
    John J. Kim (IRC: kotux)
    High School Senior / Ubuntu User # 35405
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux
    "Let your performance do the thinking." --Charlotte Bronte

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by epikvision View Post
    How do you find out via the command line?
    More to the point, how do you find the "origin" of a package using the Origin" button in Synaptic?

Origin simply gives a list of various repositories; unless you KNOW which one holds the package it is no help at all finding the origin of a package.

And for all those who say "Tell MS - it's their package" - Canonical has packaged the skype binary for Ubuntu. There should be a way to let Canonical know that their package is no longer working after a change to other Ubuntu packages. At the moment there isn't, as Launchpad doesn't accept reports on third-party packages, apparently.

Or is it just that this one hasn't been properly packaged? - which would be why the Properties for skype, the Canonical package, do not include any reference to the file /usr/bin/skype, which is the file that calls the skype binary skyle-bin:i386. And why apport fails to process the crash, telling me that "The package is not installed".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scradock View Post
    More to the point, how do you find the "origin" of a package using the Origin" button in Synaptic?

Origin simply gives a list of various repositories; unless you KNOW which one holds the package it is no help at all finding the origin of a package.

And for all those who say "Tell MS - it's their package" - Canonical has packaged the skype binary for Ubuntu. There should be a way to let Canonical know that their package is no longer working after a change to other Ubuntu packages. At the moment there isn't, as Launchpad doesn't accept reports on third-party packages, apparently.

Or is it just that this one hasn't been properly packaged? - which would be why the Properties for skype, the Canonical package, do not include any reference to the file /usr/bin/skype, which is the file that calls the skype binary skyle-bin:i386. And why apport fails to process the crash, telling me that "The package is not installed".
    I'd suggest that the package hasn't been rebuilt yet to work with Saucy. I'd give it a couple of weeks, as it's still pretty early in the development cycle, and if it doesn't start working by then, file a bug.

Beans
    Distro

I'd suggest that the package hasn't been rebuilt yet to work with Saucy. I'd give it a couple of weeks, as it's still pretty early in the development cycle, and if it doesn't start working by then, file a bug.
    OK, you're probably right. Though, as I said, if the package isn't fixed it probably won't be possible to file a bug....

We shall just have to wait and hope. And use released Ubuntu versions to get stuff done, which is less exciting!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast