Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HOWTO: Boot & Install Ubuntu from the Grub Rescue Prompt

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Boot & Install Ubuntu from the Grub Rescue Prompt

183 files!:
    sun@milkyway:~$ for i in /boot/grub/*.mod; do cmp "/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/$(basename $i)" "$i"; done

the differences:
    sun@milkyway:~$ for i in /boot/grub/*; do cmp "/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/$(basename $i)" "$i"; done
    sun@milkyway:~$ for i in /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/*; do cmp "/boot/grub/$(basename $i)" "$i"; done

the links:
    ?

who knows... ?
    Last edited by HotForLinux; April 17th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: fix Grub Rescue Prompt

i have installed ubuntu inside windows and then afterwords i installed fedora 16...all time during start up its show os selection by grub loader but after i did some partition on windows its shows error:unknown filesystem.enterting rescue mode.. grub rescue>

grub rescue>ls
    (hd0)(hd0,msdos9)(hd0,msdos8)(hd0,msdos7)(hd0,msdo s6)(hd0,msdos5)(hd0,msdos3)(hd0,msdos2)(hd0,msdos1 )
    and then i found out content of partition root as u told..
    grub rescue>ls (hd0,msdos7)/
    ./ ../ lost+found/ etc/ dev/ boot/ var/ sys/ proc/ lib64/ usr/ bin/ home/ lib/ media/ mnt/ opt/ root / run/ sbin/srv/ tmp/ .readahesd
    grub rescue>ls (hd0,msdos7)/boot/grub
    ./ ../ splash.xmp.gz
    grub rescue>set prefix=(hd0,msdos7)/boot/grub
    and then if i give all load module command it says error:file not found.
    what i can do now any body help this hoping for correct solution

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: fix Grub Rescue Prompt

Quote Originally Posted by rajarjun View Post
    what i can do now any body help this hoping for correct solution
    Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums.

It looks like you have done a good job of troubleshooting. I don't use Wubi so I'm not comfortable giving advice about it. I believe with Wubi you should still see the Windows bootloader first; if Grub was installed in the MBR you would most likely have lost both the Windows bootloader and also not be able to boot from Grub.

There is an excellent GUI app called Boot Repair but I don't know if it works with Wubi. I think it can and if you have lost your Windows bootloader it probably has an option to restore it via a bootloader called lilo.

Even if BR can't repair your system, it has an option to run the boot info script which can help find out what is happening. There is a link to Boot Repair in my signature line.

Another good resource is the Wubi Megathread, which specializes in Wubi installations:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Wink Re: HOWTO: Boot & Install Ubuntu from the Grub Rescue Prompt

Thanks, you have recused me

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Boot & Install Ubuntu from the Grub Rescue Prompt

1. Load the modules.
      Code:
      set prefix=(hdX,Y)/<path to modules>
      This command must correctly point to the folder containing the Grub modules. The address should be the one in the previous section which displayed the modules.
      Examples:
      set prefix=(hd0,5)/boot/grub
      set prefix=(hd1,1)/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc

Load modules:
      Code:
      insmod linux
      insmod loopback
      insmod iso9660
      insmod fat        # If ISO is located on fat16 or fat32 formatted partition.
      insmod ntfs       # If ISO is located on an NTFS formatted partition.
      insmod nftscomp   # If NTFS compression is used on the partition. Load if you aren't sure.
      A "file not found" error means that the path in the prefix is incorrect or the specific module does not exist. The prefix setting may be reviewed with the set command. Rerun the "set prefix=" command with the proper path.

So I have gotten to this step but when I do the set prefix= command it does nothing... How can I change that??

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345