Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with GeForce 9300GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Problem with GeForce 9300GS

Hello everybody, I've got the same problem: looks like Xorg gets confused by two active VGA adapters in my Vaio Z21VN with Ubuntu Intrepid.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful of the various efforts to get things going, but I think that booting ******* XP just to select the video card, then rebooting to Linux is pushing it a little too far even for a workaround.

I am confident that if we can get someone who knows a little his way around in Xorg innards, finding a way to ignore the Intel adapter and using only the nVidia card shouldn't be so hard (I imagine through a little xorg.config tweaking or a purposeful randr, though I personally have no clue... yet).

I'm noticing that this thread is just between us newbies: where are the beans roasters where you need them? Hey, dear Ubuntu-gurus, soul of this community: hear us *bump* this issue and, please, let us hear at least some clear-headed ideas.

Btw, there is another thread on this exact issue: perhaps merging the two would be useful to concentrate efforts.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jollo; November 23rd, 2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Typos

Beans

Hi all. I have the same problem. As I see this decision http://neotokyo.sytes.net/vgn-z11/Ub...o_vgn_z11.html is only for intel card, not for nvidia... It's a pity. I found new official BIOS update - but I don't know how to apply it now, when I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by artix_russia View Post
    Hi all. I have the same problem. As I see this decision http://neotokyo.sytes.net/vgn-z11/Ub...o_vgn_z11.html is only for intel card, not for nvidia... It's a pity. I found new official BIOS update - but I don't know how to apply it now, when I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed.
    Guys, the "workaround" suggested by Freeshark in the above quoted website requires Windows XP to be booted prior to every Ubuntu boot Is anybody really willing do accept this as a workable solution??

C'mon, the Ubuntu community should be (hell, I know is *is*) able to do better than this. What I don't understand is the lack of interest for this specific problem... Vaio users are unwanted in the Ubuntu community? I agree Sony's unashamed pro-M$ tactics are a pain in the a**, but what better answer that being able to say "nevertheless, Ubuntu is 100% Vaio compliant"?

Ok, I know this sounds lame... I don't think it's a BIOS issue, but I'll look into the upgrade anyway.

Cheers

Jollo

Beans

Hi,

no it is definetly not a BIOS issue. The Problem is that in the transition from the sz to the z Series Sony changed the Stamina/Speed switch from a Hardware to a Software solution. This is explained here: http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_inf.../index_05.html
    Which doesnt make the booting to Windows the Main Problem, but that there is the possibility to disable the cards by Software. I think there has to be some reverse Engineering to be done on the Sony Tools which are used to accomplish the switching. I try to find out, which dll is used for this, maybe then it gets easier.
    Your Idea will not work, as both Graphics Cards when the are on share Resources and as for the z11wn/z590 the intel card isnt working at all as described in my earlier post and the nvidia wont start due to a ressource sharing problem (This is no X.org issue, but a hardware one, i am sorry).
    Having both cards enabled also brings you in Battery trouble (which was one of the primary reasons i bought this notebook) and is unacceptable. So i think the way to go from here is to find a way to activate the SW switch under Linux. Maybe a Sony insider could help

HTH

Oli

EDIT: Found out that its not a Sony tool that does the switching. I think its somehow a feature of the new Centrino 2 Platform, because it works after only installing the intel chipset drivers on a virgin xp installation. This after all could be good news, because there could be a possibility that intel helps with the development of a tool that can do the switching.

EDIT2: Ok, another strange thing i noticed. It seems Linux does not know how to initialize the switch, but how to uninitialize it. If one of the LEDs is lit up and you shutdown your computer or reboot, flick the switch and force power down and then power on again (without booting to any os in the meantime) the LED will change. That means, that Linux somehow uninitializes the card like Vista does on shutdown. If we find out how and why, maybe we can disable this behaviour and would have to boot to windows only once to set the LED and then never again.
    Last edited by lowtraxx; November 25th, 2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Addendum

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lowtraxx View Post
    Your Idea will not work, as both Graphics Cards when the are on share Resources and as for the z11wn/z590 the intel card isnt working at all as described in my earlier post and the nvidia wont start due to a ressource sharing problem (This is no X.org issue, but a hardware one, i am sorry).
    You're probably right, but if I uninstall all proprietary drivers and reverto to the "default" (pretty much empty) xorg.conf, X autoconfig "finds" a way to start up with the correct resolution (1600x900) despite both VGA adapter being up and running (although without acceleration, effects, etc...): I get the impression that the "resource sharing" conflict is thus avoidable with a software workaround.

Tell you what, I'll keep on invstigating a bit further along the Xorg line (fascinating stuff), while you can concentrate on the "final" solution of finding how to switch adapters on and off (either with or, ideally, without a reboot), which would also solve the battery life problem (together with LCD brightness control, but this is OT...).

I agree that, before resorting to reverse engineering, asking politely Sony people for non-proprietary information is the first logical (and legal) step.

Keep on the good work! Thanks and cheers

Jollo

Beans

Hi all,

Thank you all for your work & shared experience. This issue is the one and only thing preventing me from buying a Z11.

Francesco

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frvacond View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you all for your work & shared experience. This issue is the one and only thing preventing me from buying a Z11.

Francesco
    Francesco,
    you should write this to the Sony!!!
    They must know that some people are not buying their laptops because they are not fully functioning in linux.

pier

Beans

Hi again,

Mail to sony is sent, now waiting and hoping
    Quote Originally Posted by jollo View Post
    You're probably right, but if I uninstall all proprietary drivers and reverto to the "default" (pretty much empty) xorg.conf, X autoconfig "finds" a way to start up with the correct resolution (1600x900) despite both VGA adapter being up and running (although without acceleration, effects, etc...): I get the impression that the "resource sharing" conflict is thus avoidable with a software workaround.
    Yeah, your right, but i think ubuntu is using the vesa driver by default, to ensure safe running. This works on most of the graphics cards if they are vesa compliant and does not need special functionality. The Problem is that the card specific functions like 2d and 3d acceleration are not available. Thats where the specific gpu comes into play, and thats where i think the problem lies. It will be possible to use the intel card alone at some point, after the bug in the driver is fixed (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17508). But Nvidia will not work, because of the interferences. Proof of this is if you boot into Windows XP with the LEDs out it shows both cards, but uses the intel one and says the Nvidia is not working due to a ressource conflict.

On another note, could it be possible, that the fact that the z Series uses EFI instead of a regular BIOS has something to do with the new fast switching possbility. I will further investigate.

so long,

Oli

P.S.: Whatever the Kernel does, it does not occur on shutdown or reboot, it occurs on system start. Because if i force a power down or remove the battery as soon as the system is booting, the led goes of. I am looking into whats causing this this weekend.
    Last edited by lowtraxx; November 28th, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Addendum

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,anyone knows if all models of the vaio Z came with a dual grafic card system?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by motoko28 View Post
    Hi,anyone knows if all models of the vaio Z came with a dual grafic card system?
    Yes they do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast