Page 3 of 169 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Hi iboot,

The aticonfig command you only run once.

The Compiz off Rotation script is run each time you rotate. You'd use that instead of the applet like in method 1. So look at the Rotation HOW TO. Or you could place the compiz and metacity commands in the applet in advance settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by accensi View Post
    In Karmic my tx2-1020us is working with 2.6.31 kernels (last one rc8), with fdi disabled and xorg.conf configured as specified. Touchscreen works with stylus and fingers. Rotation not tested yet. I am using the radeon driver.

Fingerprint reader is not working because driver for Authentec device in tx2-1020us is not yet converted to the new libusb version in Karmic.

Webcam is not working, borked images, low resolution, and freezes.
    I am trying to set up the digitizer on my new XT2 running Karmic. I had to use a patched wacom_drv.so (the one included in xserver-xorg-linux-wacom does not recognize the N-Trig's USB id). With it, I can use the stylus.

However, with kernel 2.6.31-9-generic the buttons on my stylus do not seem to work. Do I have to patch my kernel as well although the quoted post seems to indicate otherwise?

Apart from that I will happily assist you in improving the usefullness of the N-Trig digitizer in Ubuntu.

Best,

Marc

EDIT: I just fetched the latest ubuntu-karmic kernel sources via git. Those didn't include the patch 0001-ntrig-tool-separation-and-pen-usages. After patching the sources and compiling and installing the kernel, the stylus buttons do work.

The latest official kernel sources do include the patch. Will these latest sources be included in the final 9.10 or do we have to submit a bug report at launchpad?

P.S.: On my XT 2, the paths I have to use in xorg.conf are a bit different to those that have been posted. They are "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.1-usb-0:2:1.0-event-mouse".
    Last edited by Flensburger; September 9th, 2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: New information

Beans
    Distro

Hi Marc,

Thank you! Lot's of good information.

I think they plan to keep updating the kernel (they're trailing Linus's releases by a few weeks it looks like) so I would think that "0001-ntrig-tool-separation-and-pen-usages" patch would be present by release. But I don't see how it could hurt to submit a bug report to launchpad and make sure they are aware of the issue.

Can you confirm that your by-path is with the Vista firmware? If so I will (happily) add it to the HOW TO.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know whether my by-path is with the Vista firmware as my laptop has never seen or run a Windows version.

Is there a way to find out?

Beans
    Distro

Hi Marc,

I don't know. But I think you've answered the question. It "must" be Vista firmware because I think Win 7 was just released to the OEMs. Since you haven't installed Win 7 RC I don't see how you could have it's firmware.

Out of curiosity did you buy it without an OS or was a linux pre-installed?

Beans
    Distro

The notebook came with a FreeDOS CD. Linux wasn't preinstalled.

(The notebook was bought by my university. They have the option to order computers without any OS from Dell.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Has anyone tried the button click on linuxwacom-0.8.4? I can't seem to get the button to send off the event. I am currently testing it out on 2.6.31 in Karmic and Gentoo. I am using the same source in both so it could be possible that I might have changed something in the code and it is now failing.

I am currently creating a different driver based on the linuxwacom driver. I am able to get the touch and stylus to work fine with the exception of the button on the stylus. I am pretty sure that I know where the changes need to be made so that I can get it to work but I also don't want it to break the current linuxwacom driver (because it will most likely send an extra button click notification to the linuxwacom driver). However, if the button click on the stylus is no longer working, then I can make the changes and it will not really hurt anything (I am not for sure if 0.8.3 will work with 2.6.31 kernels).

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ayuthia,

I think Marc answers your question in post #22 above. He says patch 0001-ntrig-tool-separation-and-pen-usages is missing on the current Karmic kernel but has been included in the upcoming ones.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Ayuthia,

I think Marc answers your question in post #22 above. He says patch 0001-ntrig-tool-separation-and-pen-usages is missing on the current Karmic kernel but has been included in the upcoming ones.
    Karmic is still using the 0.8.3.2 version of the linuxwacom. From his post, it looks like he patched that version instead of using the 0.8.4 version. From what I am reading in the source, it looks like the wacom kernel module has changed the way they are reporting the stylus and the signal is not coming over anymore. It is good to know that the 0.8.3.2 version does still compile and work with 2.6.31 though.

As for that tool separation and pen usage patch, I have not seen it come through yet unless it is going to come in the 2.6.32 kernel.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Karmic is still using the 0.8.3.2 version of the linuxwacom. From his post, it looks like he patched that version instead of using the 0.8.4 version. From what I am reading in the source, it looks like the wacom kernel module has changed the way they are reporting the stylus and the signal is not coming over anymore. It is good to know that the 0.8.3.2 version does still compile and work with 2.6.31 though.

As for that tool separation and pen usage patch, I have not seen it come through yet unless it is going to come in the 2.6.32 kernel.
    I did three changed to the current Karmic version:

1) Moved the stylus configuration from hal to xorg.conf - although I am not sure whether this is really needed. Given that Karmic tries to do without any xorg.conf at all my current solution is not the prettiest one.

2) Downloaded the stable linuxwacom 0.8.4 sources. I patched them to include the USB ids of the n-trig digitizer. I compiled them and just copied over the resulting wacom_drv.so to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input overriding the Karmic 0.8.3.x version. Apart from that I did not install anything else.

3) I took the recent git sources of the ubuntu karmic kernel and patched hid-ntrig.c. Otherwise the buttons wouldn't be recognized.

Marc

Page 3 of 169 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast