Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox

I'm already using the beta channel from there, that page is for Google Chrome though, not Chromium.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin77 View Post
    I'm already using the beta channel from there, that page is for Google Chrome though, not Chromium.
    Heh! Starts getting a little blurred, doesn't it?
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Hrm...

Are you talking about https://extensions.gnome.org/ ?

I've used Chromium many, many times without issue(s). Never even tried it with Fx...

The screenies above are GS 3.9.2. I installed all of them via Chromium.
    Huh. I have to admit never trying it but had read that only Firefox worked. I guess ya can't believe everything ya read.

Beans
    Distro

I'm still finding national internet sites where video doesn not display on Firefox even though on install I selected "proprietary drivers" or whatever the box is called. Google Chrome displays same site fine. I don't know if Chromium would display the videos. I don't have Chromium installed because since Google Chrome Beta runs on saucy I don't have a need for Chromium.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I'm still finding national internet sites where video doesn not display on Firefox even though on install I selected "proprietary drivers" or whatever the box is called. Google Chrome displays same site fine. I don't know if Chromium would display the videos. I don't have Chromium installed because since Google Chrome Beta runs on saucy I don't have a need for Chromium.
    I guess it depends on the site. My experience has been that if a site doesn't display properly in Firefox, it doesn't display properly in Chromium either. If a site doesn't want to display properly in Firefox, screw 'em .

Beans

I would love a solid Chrome on Ubuntu. I still don't understand why they don't. It does not make since to me to release chromium under a different name. Or maybe i have it wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justynt View Post
    It does not make since to me to release chromium under a different name. Or maybe i have it wrong.
    names look the same here (read first line on this page, in particular the 12th word

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As a Chromium user I would like to see it installed by default, but just because it would save the time of installing it and removing Firefox even though it takes less than a minute to do this. I have no real need for Firefox. I use Chromium 99.9% of the time and use Midori as a backup browser in case I need it but that rarely ever happens.

Personally, I wouldn't want Google Chrome as a default. Chromium is almost the same as Chrome except it's open source, it's lighter, pages load faster and it uses Flash and not the Pepper plugin which for me is a good thing because Chrome's Pepper plugin simply doesn't work on Linux with my Google Play Movies account but traditional Flash (with HAL installed) does. Also, Chromium doesn't come with any of that Google tracking nonsense built in. Other than brand recognition I see no benefit to using Google Chrome in favor of Chromium.

Whatever they choose as a default browser it doesn't really matter. Most people tend to be pretty loyal to their favorite browsers, so no matter what they choose as a default they're going to annoy / p*ss off a large group of people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by neruson View Post
    Whatever they choose as a default browser it doesn't really matter. Most people tend to be pretty loyal to their favorite browsers, so no matter what they choose as a default they're going to annoy / p*ss off a large group of people.

They'd only tick off Firefox users if they switch.
    If they don't switch, then chromium users would be none the wiser.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I like Chromium but would still end up installing chrome because i like the built in pdf reader and the pepperflash which give you the latest adobe flash...unfortunately, the old flash we have on our systems is no longer getting new versions in linux (just security updates) and is getting kind of old and a bit outdated...also, Chrome adds a ppa that gives you the latest versions immediately (instead of being dependent on canonical "getting around to it"....lol)...and a (what i call) "smart search" when you start typing a url in you get other suggestions of similiar sites you might be searching for...i find that VERY HANDY and its another feature missing from Chromium as well...

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast