Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

My computers aren't crappy

I must have lower expectations than most people because, IMHO, both my computers run Ubuntu Dapper really well.

My main computer runs Dapper with GNOME desktop.

Intel Pentium III 733MHz (Coppermine)
    512MiB SDRAM
    120GB Seagate Barracuda 2MiB cache hard disk
    Plextor CD-RW drive
    Onboard Intel 810e 8MiB (shared RAM)
    Onboard 3Com 10/100Base-TX
    Creative Labs Soundblaster Live!
    D-Link 5 port USB 2.0 controller
    USB 2.0 external card reader

My other computer runs Dapper without a GUI as a headless box.

Intel Pentium (P54C) 133MHz
    256MiB SDRAM
    120GB Seagate Barracuda 2MiB cache hard disk
    Intel Pro 100 S 10/100Base-TX
    Matrox Millennium II 4MiB WRAM
    Createive Labs Soundblaster AWE64 Value

Both of these computers perform everything I need.

-weresheep

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have an old Compaq 5630 which I've maxed out. Was given to us a few years ago. It originally had Windows 98 on it before I got ahold of it (lol)

· Pentium II 400 Mhz
    · I've maxed it out with a whopping 384 MB RAM
    · 2 hard drives: a 16GB 5400RPM (my test side) and a 120GB 7200RPM hard drive (husband's side)
    · A hand-me-down nVidia Geforce3 Ti 500 video card
    · 1 DVD+RW & 1 CD-ROM (It originally had a zip drive but I removed it to put in the DVD+RW in it instead--another hand-me-down)
    · Wireless card. (I'm amazed it worked!)

It is currently using Xubuntu 7.04 on each hard drive. Although my testing side also has IceWM, FVWM-Crystal, Open/Black/Flux-Box, E17 for me to play around with. The computer sits in our kitchen, and not only for testing stuff out, I use it for music, internet radio, surfing, recipes, etc, etc.

This thing amazes me every day. With 98 it was slow, took at least 5-7 minutes to load up, and a BSOD appeared if I had more than 2-3 programs opened. But, now, for its age, it takes only about 2+ minutes to boot up (yay!) and is actually pretty responsive once the desktop comes up. And more impressive, when I get Beryl working on it I swear, the response time of programs opening up decreases by quite a bit. (I'm sure the graphics card is overkill, but the ATI card it originally came with was crap, and the only other card I had available, which was free, was the Geforce3.)

This went from a computer we were going to give away to Good Will to one that is now used just about every day...(when I tell some people about it...they laugh and really think I'm crazy for using it as often as I do)
    Last edited by Sunflower1970; June 20th, 2007 at 07:22 PM.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have a number of old machines doing various purposes, most of them running Dapper without X. One 350 MHz iMac with 128 MB RAM is quite successfully running Dapper with KDE. Video playback over the network is shaky, and you have all the PPC lack of support to deal with, but everything that works, works fine. Another 200 MHz Pentium with 160 MB RAM is my main file server. I had a 650 MHz Presario running as a set-top box until recently, with Xfce. It was great.

I had a bunch of kids games (all from around 1999-2000) waiting to be installed.They are all installable on both Mac and Windows. I would have installed them on the iMac, which is dual boot, but my daughter jammed something into the CD slot. So I fired up a mid-90s Compaq which had been sitting around awaiting repurposing or scavenging. It has 16 MB RAM, not sure of the processor speed right now. It runs Win95. What amazed me was that there seems to have been so little actual progress in what desktop computers can do, from then to now. Especially when you consider the dramatic increase in resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Quote Originally Posted by DalekClock View Post
    Tha's one big PDA.
    Hahaha!

Umm, I have, hmm, nothing too ancient. Well, fine. I don't use what I have that is ancient. Erm, I classify my PC in terms of its clunkiness as "ancient," but if I could use Linux full-time I'm sure my mind would change.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 256 MB RAM, 128 MB GeForce FX 5200, ancient Yamaha soundcard from, erm, who knows when - I think it was in a Win98 PC, and 6x internal CD drive, external Sony DVD burner + 10 GB HDD for Ubuntu and 80 - actually 74 - GB HDD for Windows and all my stuff. Display at 1600x1200. (This notebook: P4 M 2.00 GHz, 512 RAM, 32 MB VRAM Radeon Mobile m6 or something like that, internal CD - no DVD - and a 13.5 inch display at 1024x768, Hitachi 20 GB HDD.)

Another laptop: Fujitsu (muahahaha), "Designed for Windows 95," has Win95 + a bunch of apps, internal CD-ROM + floppy, Pentium I 133 MHz and 16 MB of RAM, and the CROWN JEWEL: 1.6 GB INTERNAL HDD!!! At, who knows, 5400 RPM? (...) 800x600 display - the laptop still runs great and looks as good as any new laptop (except the display), actually, but its hardware is so old.

Compaq Presario (forgot the model) - 10 GB Fujitsu HDD (hehe, guess where the 10 GB HDD for my Linux in my PC came from?), 450 MHz, 128 MB RAM (2x64 MB), 3 EDO slots and 1 or 2 PCI. Windows XP - I pushed that thing with Windows XP for a while.

850 MHz AMD Athlon, 128 MB RAM, onboard video, 20 GB HD, Windows 2000 Pro.

Dells from the early 90's, two of them: one at 200 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB VRAM Trident, internal sound, 1.33 GB HD, the only difference with the second was it was 233 MHz. I remember using these with Windows 98 until... 2000 or 2001, upgraded from Win95.

A 486 with 4 MB RAM and probably 320x240 display, about 2.5 inches thick, don't remember the HDD - probably 80 MB or something - it had... I forgot the name of the OS, but it wasn't even DOS.

Erm, have a 3-inch thick 500 MB HDD with DOS 5.0 on it or something like that, as well as a PC with 1.3 GB HDD and Win3.11 on DOS 6.2 (actually I think this HDD failed finally a year or two ago). Man, if only I had known about DSL and other Linux distros then. Hehe.

(By the way, what ever happened to Packard Bell? Just a thought that occurred to me.)

I also love pushing old computers to their max, I have been considering putting Damn Small Linux on that Fujitsu laptop.

I have a feeling those without the latest and greatest are posting here as well. Heh.... I think anything above 256 MB RAM is not "ancient"/"crappy." After all, "640K [is] enough for anyone," right?

~Nightfire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    I have a Compaq iPaq 700 Celeron

Like this one:

A whole £20 from Ebay, plus some cheap memory, a whole 512MB! And a couple of free CD drives from work that were going to go in the bin... Not bad, it is still a fairly usable little PC for light web browsing, word processins, emailing, and managing remote servers.

Currently running Debian Etch with Fluxbox on it. Will give Puppy a try sometime though.

PS: Or was it £15? I can't remember...
    I remember having something like that afew years back I was trailing it before it came out I thought it was so cool. Mine did not have a HDD it was ment to be a dumb terminal or something I don't know I was only aroung ten at the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Wow, I saw "crappy pc" and KNEW this thread was for me:

HP Vectra Vl6/400 series 8
    PIII/500MHz
    512mb mem
    Matrox MGA200 8 megs video
    40gb win drive
    6.4gb win backup drive
    5.1gb Linux drive
    USR External modem

-----------------
    This machine was dated 1998. Even at that time it had USB and 3 mem slots x 256mb for a total of 768mb. It was a good piece of hardware for its day. I have a 2001 GX110 crapola Dell and that only held 512mb max mem.

I'm running Dapper 6.06 and recently installed Xubuntu desktop. A noticeable increase in speed and X.org takes at least 25% less CPU (according to top).
    Last edited by NJC; June 20th, 2007 at 07:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    Wow, I saw "crappy pc" and KNEW this thread was for me:

HP Vectra Vl6/400 series 8
    PIII/500MHz
    512mb mem
    Matrox MGA200 8 megs video
    40gb win drive
    6.4gb win backup drive
    5.1gb Linux drive
    USR External modem

-----------------
    This machine was dated 1998. Even at that time it had USB and 3 mem slots x 256mb for a total of 768mb. It was a good piece of hardware for its day. I got a 2001 GX110 crapola Dell and that only held 512mb max mem.

I and running Dapper 6.06 and recently installed Xubuntu desktop. A noticeable increase in speed and X.org takes at least 25% less CPU (according to top).
    Haha, "I knew this thread was for me."

Are you kidding me? 768 RAM in 1998? Haha, no one needed that much back then. Okay, maybe... Hollywood.

~Nightfire

[EDIT]: I just noticed something: we all seem to be proud of our old PCs. Maybe it's because we have restored them with Linux and put such things to practical and good use. Hehe.

~Nightfire
    Last edited by nightfire117; June 20th, 2007 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Working on my "new build"

P3 700mhz
    256mb RAM
    Graphics - whatever I have that works
    Win 95 - to play my DOS through 98 games without emulators or "compatibility modes"
    3GB HDD
    DVD ROM drive
    My home page

Member of the Esoteric Order of LaRoza - Resistance Is Futile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I only just got a new computer yesterday to replace my 6 year old, physically falling apart laptop - I had been working without a "d", "l", "e", "F2" or "esc" keys for quite a while - to some extent I credit this with teaching me how to touch type! - The casing on the screen fell off whenever I tried to open/close it! - It has 256 M ram - 20G hdd and 1.7Ghz processor (When I got it, I was quite chuffed!) - Despite this It actually ran beryl (quite well) - I am still quite attached to it so I think I'll do something with it although I am well pleased with my new laptop - currently have a duel boot between ubuntu and vista!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by nightfire117 View Post
    [EDIT]: I just noticed something: we all seem to be proud of our old PCs. Maybe it's because we have restored them with Linux and put such things to practical and good use. Hehe.

~Nightfire
    Lol. I admit to being very, very, very proud of my old machine. I did put a bit of work into it, and it was my first real experience with Linux...I even painted the case of it from this weird grey-ish purple color to black.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast