Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Raspberry Pi

I been toyin with idea getting 1 my self and dug this up so i figured id share it w/ you guys

"The ARM platform is exploding like a mad wet cat out of the bath. Here are four good distros cram-full of ARM fun.

Linux has had ARM support since forever, but it's been bumpy. There are hundreds of vendors of ARM devices (see Tiny Pluggable Linux ARM Computers Are Red-Hot for a sampling), all shoving their own personal hacked code out the door as fast as possible. This made Linux support complicated and unwieldy, to the point that Linus Torvalds threatened to stop accepting ARM changes in the mainline Linux kernel.

So, in classic Linux fashion, vendors and developers banded together and coordinated and consolidated their efforts, formed the Linaro non-profit engineering organization, and performed a sizable cleanup of redundant and bad code. Jonathan Corbet, editor of Linux Weekly News, predicts that "ARM will take its place as one of the primary Linux architectures" in 2012. This seems a safe prediction as ARM-based mobile devices are going to continue to sell like ice water in hell."

HTML Code:
    http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/598228-4-fine-linux-arm-distros-
    All Ubuntu Flavors rock

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Its a great hackable computer. just worth noting that its not quite up to the task of being an everyday desktop. (there are some larger, more expensive arm dev boards if you are interested in that. see http://www.futurechips.org/thoughts-...uture+Chips%29 http://www.raymii.org/cms/p_Small_Linux_PCs_overview)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been thinking of messing with such a board as well, i would use it as a "net desktop" net apps- link that bugger to my HDTV.. yadda yadda- not a workhorse device. Sorta the idea of Ubuntu TV if at all possible

Right now i am torn between the idea of Raspberry PI or Gooseberry board.
    Last edited by Jakin; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Beans

The whole idea of the Raspberry PI is to get children interested in programming. It was never designed to be used as an everyday multi-function computer.

It is to stop your little "KIDDIES" from using your state of the art desktop / laptop as a play thing.

Beans

If you want to teach people how to hack computers, you can buy an old PC for £10 and hack that (and there's NO stock dry up). Raspberry Pi just seems like another created "solution", looking for an application... seems a bit pointless to me, and it doesn't even do USB *OR* PXE boot.

Meh, less than luke warm here.

Beans

I have two on order. Been thinking of using one for a low power server for my old printer, and have been playing around with the idea of using an old monitor to display a photo album with a motion detector to see if anyone is in the room.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nice Digital PBX for the rasberry:
    http://nerdvittles.com/?p=1784

rt
    cheap hardware....LOTS of it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New article:

'We thought we'd sell 1,000': The inside story of the Raspberry Pi

http://www.zdnet.com/we-thought-wed-...pi-7000009718/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I got one. I use it in combination with OpenELEC and NAS server as a Media Center for movies and series.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Thee View Post
    I got one. I use it in combination with OpenELEC and NAS server as a Media Center for movies and series.
    a questions here....

i assume you added external USB drives to it? If so how do you handle power supply for the USB drives? I mean can the Pi handle 2 USB drives on it? as i know newer external USB hard drives don't have separate power supply. or am i wrong?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast