Page 6 of 139 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by drymnfr View Post
    Upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 on Friday. Screen went black on reboot.

Previous versions(for example: 2.6.35-28 ) would boot up fine.

Dell Latitude D630
    Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M

Thanks to all the suggestions, after 2 days of trying different things suggested in this thread, I finally got my system to boot with 2.6.38-8.

1) changed /etc/default/grub
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off splash"
    and subsequently ran
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    I haven't checked Unity desktop yet, but Gnome desktop is working normally as before.
    This "is" a good thing.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 2nd, 2011 at 05:12 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by neonman123 View Post
    I'm experiencing the same issue with that earlier version as well, the kernel that does work for me is 2.6.35-28 is there a way to just make that load by default for right now?
    YES--
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install startup-manager
    This program will install and running it will allow you to "pick" whatever you want to run as the "first" or "default" startup option.

REALLY IMPORTANT AND A FAVOR TO US ALL

For those of you who's PC was only fixed by rolling back your kernels back from 2.6.38.x to 2.6.37.x (or earlier)... Please do "us" all a big favor and Submit this "BUG" to Launchpad!!!! PLEASE?

"I" see this as a big bug. It isn't up at Launchpad reported as any kind of a problem at the moment. If it isn't up at launch pad with some subscribers, It's not going to get noticed, nor fixed...

If you do report is up there, post the bug number here so others may subscribe to it to add support.

This goes for the "vmalloc=" / virtual memory allocation error... I can't report it because it isn't happening to me, but need those that it does affect to report it.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danealle View Post
    i cannot even go to grub menu.. my screen just flicker switching from terminal to blank each seconds.. what to do.?
    the only key combination it recognises is <ctrl>+<alt>+<del>
    my laptop (vaio E series) uses ATI radeon which works previously on 10.10, with 4 Gb of ram..
    using i5..
    i uses ubuntu, like 2 month maybe..
    @danealle

1. What pc do you have with what kind of Graphics?
    2. Was your install/upgrade of 11.04 a distribution upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 or from a LiveCD?
    3. Do you have a 11.04 LiveCD and does it boot on your PC?
    4. Is Ubuntu the only operating system on your PC?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by itsbatmansilly View Post
    so i tried to upgrade from the last version to the current 11.04

made a live usb, and it worked flawlessly whilst booting from usb

install seemed to go well

now when i boot from HDD i get splash screen, log in to my user account as usual, then all hell breaks loose

generic ubuntu background occasinally interupted with flashing boxes of text, that seem to be various upgrade requests, etc but no desktop, nothing as far as hot keys working blah

again, running 11.04 off of live usb is working fine.

wtf? lol any ideas for this total idiot?
    What is your PC and what graphics card does it have?

Beans

This problem with nvidia video drivers is plaguing so many who upgraded to 11.04 I've tried deleting & reinstalling both drivers (in sequence) to no avail. I can get my programs to appear in 1360X768 resolution, but not in any other. I've scanned dozens of posts on Ubuntuforums & other sites about this. No solutions are working, but a bug report has been filed (Medium importance!). There are several extremely complicated recipes posted. None work and most result in other functional problems. And it's affected several other popular graphics chips.
    Hey, I'm not a programmer. I've used Ubuntu for two years and loved it. I've recommended it to many of my friends & colleagues. I deeply resent Cannonical releasing a major upgrade with a serious flaw. There are thousands of Ubuntu users who cannot use their computers because of this highly touted "upgrade". GET IT FIXED! Linux/Ubuntu's reputation for device driver problems will be further degraded the longer this goes on. If you want to gain user base with casual Windows users this is NOT the way to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

acpi=off splash did not work for me. Did you have any other settings modified, or what that the only line you changed?

Beans

I'm completely new to Linux world. Never tried it before.
    And today I have decided to try it.

Downloaded 11.04 iso, burned it....and....nothing...

I boot from DVD and get to menu where I am asked to choose between "try it..." and "install" (also I can choose language)

I choose to try it.

Shortly after that I'm presented with black screen, some music and mouse pointer that I am able to move around. Nothing more, nothing less...

So I try your advice to press "e" when in that menu...but only thing that it does is selecting first language that starts with e in the list.

What are my options?
    I think of myself to be very skilled in windows...but with Linux I'm completely lost

I would really like to try Linux...

My laptop is Toshiba Satellite M40-184 G3

And yeah...why would you put 11.04 onto your site when it has that sort of problems? How will that persuade someone in diving into Linux world?

I like the penguin guy...

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    acpi=off splash did not work for me. Did you have any other settings modified, or what that the only line you changed?
    I forget, have you tried adding
    Code:
    acpi_osi="Linux"
    If the acpi=off or noacpi didn't work, remove it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    try "nosplash" instead of "splash" to see what else is going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

downgrade/acpi=off workaround filed as a launchpad bug:

"Natty 11.04 crashes on startup: acpi=off OR downgrading to Kernel 2.6.37 allows boot."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/775899

Page 6 of 139 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast