Thread: How to install ATI graphics drivers (no additional drivers under software sources)?

Beans

How to install ATI graphics drivers (no additional drivers under software sources)?

I am using ubuntu gnome remix 12.10 with ATI mobility radeon HD 4300 graphics card. Software sources do not show any additional drivers. How do I install the graphics drivers for my system?
    $ lspci | grep VGA 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to install ATI graphics drivers (no additional drivers under software sources

Have you done an update since install and checked again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: How to install ATI graphics drivers (no additional drivers under software sources

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    I am using ubuntu gnome remix 12.10 with ATI mobility radeon HD 4300 graphics card. Software sources do not show any additional drivers. How do I install the graphics drivers for my system?
    $ lspci | grep VGA 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series]
    You DON'T.

AMD dropped Linux driver support for the HD 2x/3x/4x series this summer. Ubuntu 12.10 uses a newer version of the X-server than those drivers support, so now, you are limited to using the open-source Radeon driver -- which is installed by default.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hey, Mark! ATI again. Grumble....grumble....

Mr.JJ -- you may see "solutions" to this, but they are not "solutions" at all. They require you to downgrade X Server and use an older proprietary driver.

My first recommendation is to use the open source driver as Mark Phelps suggests. In most cases it is absolutely fine. It also will provide dependable and predictable support in the future.

But if you absolutely must use the proprietary driver, I would suggest using 12.04 LTS over breaking 12.10.
    Last edited by QIII; November 20th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Hey, Mark! ATI again. Grumble....grumble...
    You're right about that -- and it's not going to get better any time soon.

I think I saw something online about AMD firing the whole Linux support team -- so much for Linux drivers (if that is true)!
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Haven't seen that in my Linux Foundation newsletters, but you never know...
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thank you all. I was of the impression that mobility radeon HD is different from the normal HD 4.xx series. AMD website shows the 12.6 driver version as the latest for my card and says "for Xorg 6.9 to Xserver 1.12 and Kernel version up to 3.4".

In case I need to install that driver how do I go about it? Downgrade both X.org and kernel (I am using Xorg 1.13 and kernel 3.5.0.17) and install it from the site? Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I think I saw something online about AMD firing the whole Linux support team -- so much for Linux drivers (if that is true)!
    Phoronix!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you mean this article?: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIyOTU

how you do it is that there is a PPA that will do that for you. doesn't work with all cards and some people had issues afterwards or after additional updates...:
    https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

more here (if something breaks): http://askubuntu.com/questions/20323...unsupported-wh

the funny thing is they are called legacy drivers yet some of these cards were still being sold in the shops just recently. they shouldn't do this if you ask me. but i guess they are tight with money. only this doens't help them. with more power users using their card there would also be more money. and let's not forget that linux people are often one of the opinion leaders.
    Last edited by mastablasta; November 21st, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, Mark Phelps,

You Posted:
    you are limited to using the open-source Radeon driver -- which is installed by default.
    Is that what is shown as "radeon" by:
    Code:
     lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:9644]
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:84c8]
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon
    That data is not mine.
    Would you please look at this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12365621 as I am not competent to advise the OP, beyond guesswork.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!