Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

First of all thank you for this repository, you saved my life

Is there a way to include KDE3 version of krusader and gwenview?
    These two were installed from intrepid together with some KDE4 libs and I have some problems with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by red_team316 View Post
    Here is a list of packages I found that are still needing to be added for the KDE3 versions to the repo or other packages that need removed from IntrepidKDE3. Why you are keeping some KDE4 stuff for compatibility still eludes me, supposedly you can add the nightly neon repo for KDE4, I would think those packages are there. My Installed Hardy works fine and I have no KDE4 packages, even kdelibs5 :/ Keeping KDE4 stuff for compatibility doesn't make sense to me, as if someone really wants KDE4, then they can use the standard Intrepid ISO(or nightly neon)
    Code:
    ktorrent
    ksystemlog
    khelpcenter4 (still exists on ISO)
    kdelibs5
    kdelibs5-data
    kdelibs-bin
    libkdecorations4
    libkwineffects1
    python-kde4
    gwenview
    Someone please comment on this(dentaku65, you made the tut. Does nightly neon satisfy the urge for KDE4) Not to mention, there are KDE4 apps in the KDE3 repo, then if an update comes along, you wont get it as KDE3 is like an upgrade.

Also, I'm pretty sure without removing all the KDE4 packages, it is unlikely anyone will be able to strip enough without removing oOo from it to get it under 700MB.
    Sorry red_team for the delay, I'm quite busy at the moment... but I can confirm that the list you provide is all under KDE4 and not KDE3 and, as far as I checked are all working, but I don't know if these apps/libs are kept from Kubuntu Intrepid origin (before the install of kde3) or comes from KDE4 Nightly (which I have installed after the KDE3 installation).
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here is a list of packages I found that are still needing to be added for the KDE3 versions to the repo or other packages that need removed from IntrepidKDE3. Why you are keeping some KDE4 stuff for compatibility still eludes me, supposedly you can add the nightly neon repo for KDE4, I would think those packages are there. My Installed Hardy works fine and I have no KDE4 packages, even kdelibs5 :/ Keeping KDE4 stuff for compatibility doesn't make sense to me, as if someone really wants KDE4, then they can use the standard Intrepid ISO(or nightly neon)
    Code:
    ktorrent
    ksystemlog
    khelpcenter4 (still exists on ISO)
    kdelibs5
    kdelibs5-data
    kdelibs-bin
    libkdecorations4
    libkwineffects1
    python-kde4
    gwenview
    Someone please comment on this(dentaku65, you made the tut. Does nightly neon satisfy the urge for KDE4) Not to mention, there are KDE4 apps in the KDE3 repo, then if an update comes along, you wont get it as KDE3 is like an upgrade.

Also, I'm pretty sure without removing all the KDE4 packages, it is unlikely anyone will be able to strip enough without removing oOo from it to get it under 700MB.
    OK, kdesudo and ktorrent are finally built and uploaded. I am currently building the rest of the packages in that list and hope to have them uploaded sometime soon. kdesudo was a real pain; I had to modify the packaging more that usual to get it to "upgrade" successfully.

Can't you just apt-get remove the KDE4 packages that you don't want?

I have no KDE4 apps in my repository. Period. What did you come across that made you think that?

I keep some KDE4 stuff (not hosted locally, just that I don't conflict KDE3 with those Ubuntu packages) to maintain the most compatibility possible with the rest of Intrepid.

A question for those on this forum: do you want me to include the new Intrepid wallpapers into the KDE3.5 kubuntu-artwork package?
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dzsabor View Post
    First of all thank you for this repository, you saved my life

Is there a way to include KDE3 version of krusader and gwenview?
    These two were installed from intrepid together with some KDE4 libs and I have some problems with them.
    You're welcome! I know the feeling...

I'll add those to the list of packages to compile.

BTW, I read somewhere that there is some concern this repository might disappear in the future. This is not true; I will have this repository up until after Intrepid is no longer supported; hopefully far longer than that. The hosting I mention in my signature is just for the high-bandwidth site; I have a lower bandwidth server that I don't pay as much for and if worse came to worse I'd just silently redirect to the lower bandwidth server--the repository would stay online.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist159 View Post
    OK, kdesudo and ktorrent are finally built and uploaded. I am currently building the rest of the packages in that list and hope to have them uploaded sometime soon. kdesudo was a real pain; I had to modify the packaging more that usual to get it to "upgrade" successfully.

Can't you just apt-get remove the KDE4 packages that you don't want?

I have no KDE4 apps in my repository. Period. What did you come across that made you think that?

I keep some KDE4 stuff (not hosted locally, just that I don't conflict KDE3 with those Ubuntu packages) to maintain the most compatibility possible with the rest of Intrepid.

A question for those on this forum: do you want me to include the new Intrepid wallpapers into the KDE3.5 kubuntu-artwork package?
    I can apt-get remove them, but why not create a no-kde4 package that removes all KDE4 stuff. I think it's a good idea.

And as far as that list some of them are lingering KDE4 packages while others(like ksystemlog) need to be added to your repo as an upgrade. I'm using ksystemlog as an example because I know the package name is the same between hardy and intrepid, but my ISO has the KDE4 version right now. I'm sure you're noticing each package in there is a slightly different case.

Yes, do include the intrepid wallpaper in the kubuntu-artwork package or add it to the kubuntu-default-settings package(make sure it is the right package, I'm going from memory right now lol). I was going to do that manually or suggest that you do it for your repo but you beat me to the punch.

I have another question. Why must this be built from Hardy doing an upgrade? I would think that one would be able to start with an Intrepid Disc or ISO.

EDIT: adding kdesudo to your repo cleared the problem up

Code:
    gdebi-core
    gdebi-kde
    also need added to your repos. The gdebi lingering around in the ISO is looking for python-kde4, and on my hardy box the gdebi looks for python-kde3.

Code:
    jockey-kde
    jockey-common
    also need added to your repos. The jockey-kde lingering around in the ISO is looking for python-kde4.

Tim your doing a great job. keep pounding away at the repo and I'll keep pounding away at finding problems.
    Last edited by red_team316; November 5th, 2008 at 04:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I can apt-get remove them, but why not create a no-kde4 package that removes all KDE4 stuff. I think it's a good idea.
    Can you create a list of KDE4 software that can safely be removed? I would then put the metapackage together.

And as far as that list some of them are lingering KDE4 packages while others(like ksystemlog) need to be added to your repo as an upgrade. I'm using ksystemlog as an example because I know the package name is the same between hardy and intrepid, but my ISO has the KDE4 version right now. I'm sure you're noticing each package in there is a slightly different case.

Yes, do include the intrepid wallpaper in the kubuntu-artwork package or add it to the kubuntu-default-settings package(make sure it is the right package, I'm going from memory right now lol). I was going to do that manually or suggest that you do it for your repo but you beat me to the punch.
    That might be a bit more difficult than I first thought--the wallpaper does not seem to be part of any Intrepid package! I am trying to figure out where it comes from right now. Any Ubuntu devs want to shed some light on this? I thought every file on the system was part of a package (excepting user-added files of course )

I have another question. Why must this be built from Hardy doing an upgrade? I would think that one would be able to start with an Intrepid Disc or ISO.
    You don't have to--feel free to use an Intrepid ISO.

EDIT: adding kdesudo to your repo cleared the problem up

Code:
    gdebi-core
    gdebi-kde
    also need added to your repos. The gdebi lingering around in the ISO is looking for python-kde4, and on my hardy box the gdebi looks for python-kde3.
    Added

Code:
    jockey-kde
    jockey-common
    also need added to your repos. The jockey-kde lingering around in the ISO is looking for python-kde4.
    That is most likely not a good idea. I don't know all the details of how Jockey works, but from what I can tell it goes out to a Hardy or Intrepid specific website and downloads drivers. Mixing and matching Ubuntu versions might not work so well...

Besides, jockey-kde in Intrepid is broken anyway. Just use jockey-gtk; it works much better.

Tim your doing a great job. keep pounding away at the repo and I'll keep pounding away at finding problems.
    Thanks! Keep finding those problems and I'll keep fixing 'em...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Can you create a list of KDE4 software that can safely be removed? I would then put the metapackage together.
    Yea, I can come up with a list. Most of what I have found so far is comparing hardy packages to intrepid, and then looking at the package details through adept. Alot of them I'm sure are packages you've added the kde3 version to your repo. It will take a little while to compose the list...
    I think QT4 packages are safe to keep as thats the only thing I've noticed on my hardy that would even be related to KDE4.
    That might be a bit more difficult than I first thought--the wallpaper does not seem to be part of any Intrepid package! I am trying to figure out where it comes from right now. Any Ubuntu devs want to shed some light on this? I thought every file on the system was part of a package (excepting user-added files of course )
    Upon extraction of the intrepid ISO, the wallpaper can be found here:
    usr/share/wallpapers/Blue_Curl/contents/images.
    All you need to do is rename it to kubuntu-wallpaper.jpg and then slipstream it into the KDE3 kubuntu-default-settings package. Thats where the default wallpaper resides. Then just edit the kubuntu-wallpaper.jpg.desktop file to be:
    Code:
    [Wallpaper]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    File=kubuntu-wallpaper.jpg
    Name=Blue Curl by Nuno Pinheiro
    ImageType=pixmap
    I could not find it in the KDE4 kubuntu-default-settings package so maybe they just haven't done a package for it yet. I would suggest using the 1920X1200 or the 1600X1200 image for slipstreaming.

That is most likely not a good idea. I don't know all the details of how Jockey works, but from what I can tell it goes out to a Hardy or Intrepid specific website and downloads drivers. Mixing and matching Ubuntu versions might not work so well...

Besides, jockey-kde in Intrepid is broken anyway. Just use jockey-gtk; it works much better.
    hmm, good point. I never use it anyway. I always install mine by hand(kill x, compile kernel module restart x). I borked my vanilla intrepid install doing it by hand so maybe intrepid needs an updated driver for my card.

Having a working jockey would really be nice for people who use it to install drivers, but if either one will cause problems or not then it may not be a good idea. jockey is pretty low on my priority list though.

Thanks! Keep finding those problems and I'll keep fixing 'em...
    Yea, you've added several packages since we've started this, maybe one of those cleared up the kdm problem too...I'll test again later by removing gdm and doing a "dpkg-reconfigure kdm". I did try copying over the kubuntu kdm theme to gdm folder as seeing the it's still a gdmgreetertheme file, but I do know kdm does have some technical differences from gdm. It gave me some funny error on my hardy box then defaulted to the circles theme lol. I'm sure it's something in the .xml file thats different from gdm to kdm
    Last edited by red_team316; November 6th, 2008 at 07:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been using Ubuntu since last year and with version 8.10 I've decided to stop using Ubuntu. The reason is KDE4. It's not really ready for every day use yet and won't be finished until 2010. I should say by way of explanation, that I've always installed Gnome and KDE into every distro I've have installed on my computer. I like both desktops and the idea of open source is choice. With Ubuntu there isn't any choice anymore. Linux Mint 5 KDE, Sidux 3 and Debian 4 still use KDE 3.x. Debian 5 will also use KDE 3.x.

This quote is from the Kubuntu home page:

"8.10 will only include KDE 4 as its desktop. KDE 3 will not be available. As the code-name suggests, Intrepid is intended as a deliberately cutting edge release, if you would rather stay with what you know 8.04 continues to be fully supported. The development team decided that time and manpower considerations as well as the probable(possible) lack of further 3.5x releases prevent them from maintaining 2 separate versions, and KDE 4 was chosen as the version to move forward with."

I believe the 3 distros I listed above have looked at KDE 4.x and understand it's not really ready for everyday use and understand it's more important to provide their users with a fully functional desktop then it is to be on a cutting edge that's still just a dull blade. I'm switching to Sidux.
    Last edited by Spaceman9; November 8th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
    The How-To-Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/ubuntu/ubuntu-tips/

The final and most influential thing anyone will ever teach you is to be independent of the influence of others.

Beans

First of all I want to thank dentaku65 for creating this thread and the sources.list, madscientist159 for his repository and red_team316 for the shortcut. With your help I managed to successfully upgrade to Intrepid without KDE4! The only thing I had to fix was to set the kdm startscipts behind the hal startscripts (S13kdm -> S25kdm). Otherwise I had no mouse and keyboard at the login window http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/int...rg/+bug/271138.
    I was yust about switching to Gnome, when I found this thread. In my opinion KDE3 is better than Gnome, but KDE4 is still not usable for productive work and I can't understand the decision of leaving it in Intrepid. I am doing my daily work as a programmer with KDE3 for over five years now and was happy with it, until KDE4. My colleagues already crossed the divide to Gnome. Maybe I can bring them back with your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman9 View Post
    I've been using Ubuntu since last year and with version 8.10 I've decided to stop using Ubuntu. The reason is KDE4. It's not really ready for every day use yet and won't be finished until 2010. I should say by way of explanation, that I've always installed Gnome and KDE into every distro I've have installed on my computer. I like both desktops and the idea of open source is choice. With Ubuntu there isn't any choice anymore. Linux Mint 5 KDE, Sidux 3 and Debian 4 still use KDE 3.x. Debian 5 will also use KDE 3.x.

This quote is from the Kubuntu home page:

"8.10 will only include KDE 4 as its desktop. KDE 3 will not be available. As the code-name suggests, Intrepid is intended as a deliberately cutting edge release, if you would rather stay with what you know 8.04 continues to be fully supported. The development team decided that time and manpower considerations as well as the probable(possible) lack of further 3.5x releases prevent them from maintaining 2 separate versions, and KDE 4 was chosen as the version to move forward with."

I believe the 3 distros I listed above have looked at KDE 4.x and understand it's not really ready for everyday use and understand it's more important to provide their users with a fully functional desktop then it is to be on a cutting edge that's still just a dull blade. I'm switching to Sidux.
    Spaceman,
    I really understand your complain about Kubuntu 8.10 but, as I said on the post #1, this is not a tread against kde4.
    Many people here have this problem on production/personal machines involved in Kubuntu and the decision to dismiss kde3 put (at least me) in a very difficult position.
    I've decided to stay in *ubuntu for many reasons, first of all for the community and for the project itself and that's why I start this tread
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast