Thread: Uninstall Ubuntu and GRUB by installing Windows 7?

Beans

Uninstall Ubuntu and GRUB by installing Windows 7?

I have my system set up to dual boot Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and Windows XP Pro, using GRUB 2 (1.97~beta4) as the boot loader. I want to remove Ubuntu and GRUB 2 from the system and install Windows 7 in a dual boot environment with Windows XP. My concern is to be sure that in the process of removing Ubuntu I do not make my system unbootable by removing or otherwise screwing up GRUB without replacing it with the Windows boot loader.

I read a suggestion saying that the most straightforward way to do what I want is to simply install Windows 7 and, during the install process, select my current Ubuntu ext3 partition as the Windows 7 system partition. The suggestion said the Windows 7 install process would overwrite the MBR with the Windows boot loader, effectively “uninstalling” GRUB 2. The Windows boot loader will “find” the existing XP installation and give me a choice between Windows 7 and XP at boot time.

Does that scenario sound right? Would it work the way I have described it? (I know I would no longer have Ubuntu. That is OK; I intend to reinstall it later.)

For what it is worth, here is my current partition layout:

/dev/hda - 320 GiB internal hard drive
    /dev/hda1 - 37.26 GiB ntfs boot (Windows XP)
    /dev/hda2 - 18.63 GiB ext3 (Ubuntu 9.10 /root)
    /dev/hda3 - 1.69 GiB linux-swap
    /dev/hda4 - 240.51 GiB extended
    7.84 MiB unallocated
    /dev/hda5 - 210.49 GiB ntfs (Windows XP “data”)
    /dev/hda6 - 30.01 GiB unknown (TrueCrypt encrypted device “unknown” to GParted)

Beans

Re: Uninstall Ubuntu and GRUB by installing Windows 7?

It worked fine when I tried windows 7 alongside xp. I did not have ubuntu on that pc, but if you reformat the partition that ubuntu and grub are sitting on, you should be fine.

Beans

I think it should work fine, as you are over writing the GRUB, and no longer want ubuntu, it should not be any problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by roddhall View Post
    I have my system set up to dual boot Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and Windows XP Pro, using GRUB 2 (1.97~beta4) as the boot loader. I want to remove Ubuntu and GRUB 2 from the system and install Windows 7 in a dual boot environment with Windows XP. My concern is to be sure that in the process of removing Ubuntu I do not make my system unbootable by removing or otherwise screwing up GRUB without replacing it with the Windows boot loader.
    You will have no choice in the matter -- MS Windows OS installs ALWAYS overwrite the MBR, without asking. This will effective remove GRUB from your MBR (in a single-drive system).

I read a suggestion saying that the most straightforward way to do what I want is to simply install Windows 7 and, during the install process, select my current Ubuntu ext3 partition as the Windows 7 system partition.
    Haven't actually tried it your way, but my guess is that since Win7 can't read Linux-formatted partitions, it won't even "see" the Ext3 partition. Safer approach would be to boot from a GParted LiveCD first, remove the Ext3 partition, and leave it as unallocated space. Win7 will see that.

The suggestion said the Windows 7 install process would overwrite the MBR with the Windows boot loader, effectively “uninstalling” GRUB 2. The Windows boot loader will “find” the existing XP installation and give me a choice between Windows 7 and XP at boot time.
    See my first comment, and yes, it will create an OS selection menu that will include XP -- but it will not call it "XP".

BTW, you will need to install Win7 in a Primary partition -- which it will create automatically if you select the unallocated space.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You shouldn't have any trouble. Windows is very good at annihilating every operating system it sees.