Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice bugs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: LibreOffice bugs

And we have great options such as Google Documents.
    No need to rely so heavily on the old MS style of computing.
    Last edited by lancest; March 26th, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Caps

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    It's suspected to be a troll because we can't react to anything intelligently when you don't talk about specifics. Most of us do not use LibreOffice to display animated gifs, so we didn't know that this bug existed. Personally, I use LibreOffice for inputting math formulas and reading/writing documents and in my experience, there has been no change from before. Other people, especially in reviews, import Microsoft format documents and have reported better compatibility.

Remember that you are only one user out of many. As such you have specific needs that others may not have encountered. There is always somebody who encounters more regressions that affect him than the average person. This does not mean that the program is a whole is more buggy than it was before, just that the person is very unfortunate. Bugs are fixed and in the process new bugs are created, this is just the reality of software
    OK. How do you know that 'most of us' don't use LibreOffice to display animated gifs? Could it be that this is just an assumption on your part? Why do people react to honest criticism of one software package as if it were an attack on the entire free software movement? It is not just an issue with animated gifs either. I'm talking about losing images and corrupted saves. I'm not the only one with problems in this (and other) departments.

I want Ubuntu to be the best operating system around. Many people, students, small business entrepreneurs, trainers and teachers amongst others need to use good presentation software. Why is it a crime to point out that there are shortcomings in the office suite 'packaged' with Ubuntu?

Of course I'm one user amongst many. That does not invalidate my point of view.
    Last edited by timgood; March 26th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by timgood View Post
    I'm getting images being lost (placeholders sometimes visible and sometimes not) and random image placement crashes. These don't happen with OO.
    Hello timgood and all

Which version of oOo against which version of LO? I'm not challenging, just interested as I use this software a lot.

Not noticed too many problems with LO 3.5.1.2 ubuntu build myself. I also use CentOS 6.2 which has something like oOo 3.2 ish and I do 'round trip' odp files quite often.

PS: there is always the chance that cruft removal is also removing some of the work rounds for obscure bugs...
    Last edited by keithpeter; March 26th, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Beans

OK. How do you know that 'most of us' don't use LibreOffice to display animated gifs? Could it be that this is just an assumption on your part? Why do people react to honest criticism of one software package as if it were an attack on the entire free software movement? It is not just an issue with animated gifs either. I'm talking about losing images and corrupted saves. I'm not the only one with problems in this (and other) departments.

I want Ubuntu to be the best operating system around. Many people, students, small business entrepreneurs, trainers and teachers amongst others need to use good presentation software. Why is it a crime to point out that there are shortcomings in the office suite 'packaged' with Ubuntu?

Of course I'm one user amongst many. That does not invalidate my point of view.
    Oh, I'm just disputing your claim that LibreOffice that is less stable and more buggy than OpenOffice and telling you why we might think it was trolling with an OP post as terse as yours. It is not really "honest criticism" when you just say that it is buggy and use a hyperbole without telling us specifically why. In any case, I gave you an explanation about why LibreOffice might be buggier in some respects than OpenOffice in my first post of this thread.

Don't take what I say personally, I never outright called you a troll and I don't think you are.

Beans

I haven't been convinced by this thread that Libre Office is any better than ooo. I'm sure both versions have their bugs, but none of them have the magic spice that could convert people one way or the other. Yes by all means fix by the bugs, but there needs to be something special if you're going to win people over. To me it seems like people are telling us to adopt libreoffice because developers x, y and z are on board, without many of the actual functions being that much different. People will only switch if A you give them an functional advantage or B if you force it on them. I think with Ubuntu it was more B than A. The only reason I ever use libreoffice is because it comes out of the box in Ubuntu, not because I actively seek it out over ooo. The Internet Explorer 4 effect (people used it because it came with Windows)
    Last edited by knight2000; March 27th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

All software has bugs. I bet you could find them in the latest MS Office.

I honestly don't think (anymore) that getting the world to switch to Ubuntu or LO is the end-all.

Why?

The desktop paradigm is less important.

Beans

... That does not invalidate my point of view.
    People are asking for bug links or links that are useful is some way. A point of view is of limited utility.
    Whether it's LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice, most of us want a better product.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    People are asking for bug links or links that are useful is some way. A point of view is of limited utility.
    Whether it's LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice, most of us want a better product.
    This forum is for 'water cooler' type discussion. I have reported bugs, and refrained from reporting bugs that are already reported. I'm simply asking a question about the validity of packaging an office suite with an operating system. It would seem to me that POV discussion is exactly what is needed here.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lancest View Post
    All software has bugs. I bet you could find them in the latest MS Office.

I honestly don't think (anymore) that getting the world to switch to Ubuntu or LO is the end-all.

Why?

The desktop paradigm is less important.
    Of course MS Office has bugs. That's not the point. However, bugs which make the software unusable by large sections of the business and teaching/training community (deal breakers) do not assist in the aim of getting people to switch to free software. While this may not rank high in your list of priorities (after all, we're all different - apart from me - I'm just the same as everybody else) some of us see benefits in increasing the user base of Ubuntu to include people other than techno-fundamentalists.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans

This forum is for 'water cooler' type discussion. I have reported bugs, and refrained from reporting bugs that are already reported. I'm simply asking a question about the validity of packaging an office suite with an operating system. It would seem to me that POV discussion is exactly what is needed here.
    Agreed.
    This account is not active.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast