Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: booting problems with Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

booting problems with Ubuntu 12.04

I have installed Ubuntu several times without issue. Just built a new computer with an Asus P8Z77M Pro mother board with EFI. I am trying to use EFI for booting, but my computer only boots every third or fourth time, usually locking up at a purple screen.

My partitions:
    /EFI partition -- 258MB
    /swap -- 20480MB
    /(root) -- 25600MB
    /home -- rest of disk

Here is a link to boot-repair output ... boot-repair claimed to be successful: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1354688

It's a little confusing because the boot does work on occasion. When it does not work, besides the purple screen lock, I also can get a notice to go in and change CSM settings under Boot Info in the BIOS. I've tried every CSM setting under the sun, but may have missed something.

If it is a valid option, I am happy to go "Legacy" and avoid EFI altogether ... this has been rather frustrating.
    Last edited by tedr108; November 14th, 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: booting problems with Ubuntu 12.04

tries to do an update-grub to update your GRUB. it may have altered the order of your partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think Boot-Repair tried fixing your install, but you have mixed UEFI files & MBR(msdos) partitions.

With UEFI you have to use gpt partitions, so the efi partition has the correct gpt code, which is set with the boot flag in gparted. It really is a gpt code of ef00.

You can boot Ubuntu in BIOS mode with gpt partitions or with MBR partitions. But if also installing Windows, you can only use UEFI with gpt or BIOS with MBR.

Your old efi partition shows Windows efi files. Did boot repair add those or did you have a Windows install? Are you installing Windows? And in UEFI? Then you would have to reformat hard drive to gpt.

There may be other UEFI/BIOS settings that make a difference on booting.

So right now it looks like you are in BIOS mode. Have you turned off UEFI in UEFI menu? That may be part of the issue.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ercherramon View Post
    tries to do an update-grub to update your GRUB. it may have altered the order of your partitions.
    Thanks for the advice. I did try this and it seemed to update, but still the same issues. Mostly getting the CSM parameters warning message now when I try to boot. About the only way for me to get into Ubuntu is to go into the CSM parms, change something unimportant, then F10 to Save and reset. This must attack the bootloader from a different angle and slip in there!

I'll keep trying things...and reading dozens of internet advice pages!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I think Boot-Repair tried fixing your install, but you have mixed UEFI files & MBR(msdos) partitions.

With UEFI you have to use gpt partitions, so the efi partition has the correct gpt code, which is set with the boot flag in gparted. It really is a gpt code of ef00.

You can boot Ubuntu in BIOS mode with gpt partitions or with MBR partitions. But if also installing Windows, you can only use UEFI with gpt or BIOS with MBR.

Your old efi partition shows Windows efi files. Did boot repair add those or did you have a Windows install? Are you installing Windows? And in UEFI? Then you would have to reformat hard drive to gpt.

There may be other UEFI/BIOS settings that make a difference on booting.

So right now it looks like you are in BIOS mode. Have you turned off UEFI in UEFI menu? That may be part of the issue.
    Thanks, Fred ... I'll do my best to answer your questions:

I have not installed Windows on this disk ... may have been boot-repair. I have, however, run Windows 7 on this machine on a totally separate disk. I typically install Windows and Ubuntu on separate disks, so I don't have to worry about a Windows update trashing my MBR and Windows/Ubuntu fighting for control over the bootloader. When I am installing my OSs, I never leave both disks plugged in at the same time. My machine either defaults to Ubuntu or Windows disk, and I F8 when I want to go to the non-default OS disk.

I get the feeling that, even with separate disks, I have to be careful with the UEFI/Bios settings.

UEFI is on right now, I believe ... this BIOS interface is rather confusing, I must say, but the CSM parameters are on Auto at this time. I know that I did not consciously turn it off.

You given me some food for thought. I think that I will be able to do better research now that you have told me some of my issues.

I had been reading up on gpt partititions. Don't quite understand all of these concepts, but will see if I can figure this out. Thank you for your answer ... it taught me a lot.
    Last edited by tedr108; November 13th, 2012 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: booting problems with Ubuntu 12.04

Hello

In the B-R log, we see that the BIOS is correctly setup to boot the HDD in UEFI mode:

Code:
    =================== UEFI/Legacy mode :
    BIOS is EFI-compatible, and is setup in EFI-mode for this installed-session.
    We also see:

Code:
    /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb 
                           /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi 
                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi 
                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.grb 
                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi 
                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb
    The presence of /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb means that Boot-Repair copied /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (in case the BIOS is hard-coded to boot into /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi).
    Same for bootmgfw.efi and bootx64.efi.

The fact that partitioning is MsDos (not GPT) should not be a problem, as the UEFI specs don't require GPT (@Fred: i sent you a PDF with recent UEFI official specifications). And your case shows us that it is possible to use UEFI on MsDos.
    However, UEFI on MsDos is not common (it is the first time I see it), and may not be reliable. This would explain why it sometimes fails to boot in your case, but the problem may be something else.

If i were you, i would format the disk GPT via Gparted, then reinstall Ubuntu, and see if this solves the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    If i were you, i would format the disk GPT via Gparted, then reinstall Ubuntu, and see if this solves the problem.
    Thanks, I will do this.

Since Gparted is not a part of the Ubuntu 12.04 bootable install CD (I tried), do I install Gparted on a USB stick and run it from there while the CD is actively running on my desktop? Then, I assume that I still use "Something Else" as the install option, but when I go into it, the partitions will already be set up nicely. Is that correct?

Out of curiosity, if I install Ubuntu from a CD-Rom and choose "Something else" and do the partitions as shown in the OP, is that GPT or not? If it is, then I can only assume that the install of 12.04 does not reformat the boot sector to protect Legacy setups ... it is not even possible to "Format" in the EFI partition area of the install. I always remove all partitions and recreate them, but when I do this, some of the boot sector is still "used"...not a good sign, probably.

Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology above ... all of my Ubuntu installs over the last couple of years (mostly for Android development) have run so smoothly, that I am still a noob when it comes to much of this. Everything worked, so I stayed ignorant of what was going on behind the scenes.

Really appreciate you responding here...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I just booted 12.04.1 liveCD and gparted is part of it. As far as I know it always has been part of the liveCD, but not normally installed by default as you cannot edit the partition you are booted into.

I have BIOS but use gpt. I have created my gpt partitions with gparted. Under device, create partition table, advanced, choose gpt not the default msdos (MBR) partitioning.

You can download gparted on its own liveCD.

http://partedmagic.com/
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php

If drive has no partitions, Ubuntu will use gpt by default if drive is something over 1TB. Not sure if it defaults to gpt with UEFI but it should. But again you can boot in either BIOS or UEFI mode and that does make a difference on how it installs.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I typed gparted at the desktop, I thought that it did not find it while on live CD. I'll try again next time ... it makes sense that gparted would be there.

OK, used Gparted Live from a CD and formatted my drive gpt. When I went to install 12.04, I did the "Something Else" option ... although the partitions showed up, they did not seem to be labeled correctly, so I added /home and /, etc. Anyway, everything installed and I still can't boot ... locking up at the purple screen or giving me this error: /dev/disk/by-uuid/6612eb.... does not exist. I'm beginning to think that there is simply something wrong with my disk. The first time I booted Gparted Live, it did not find my hard drive ... the next time it did. Maybe something similar is going on with my booting process and it is not finding the drive. I am going to try this on a different drive altogether.

Is that how you are supposed to do it? Use Gparted, then go to Something Else on the install?

Haven't been able to get this new setup to boot at all yet ... so sort of stuck.

Anyway, I've got no idea what is going on at this point. And, I'm a little worn out from 2 days of constant reinstalls, EFI/Bios settings changes and whatnot ... think I need a break.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. When I can get a new drive, I'll give it a go and hopefully figure this thing out.
    Last edited by tedr108; November 14th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Beans

Just ran the Live Ubuntu 12.04 CD again and was able to get to Gparted as stated. The partitions look good except that 1Mb "bios_grub" (or whatever) partition at the beginning is unknown format. Once I get a new disk, I'll do it this way, instead of running the Live Gparted CD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast