Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starling5 Upgrade to 11.1 unable to log on

Beans

Starling5 Upgrade to 11.1 unable to log on

Hi,

I ran the upgrade based on screen instructions to do so. Downloaded everything and installed fine seemingly. Restart sends me to a screen saying Low Graphics mode. None of the keyboard commands seem to work to activate the OK.

I looked up the problem on the forum here but the solution doesn't work. I can't get the command line to recognize anything.

Please advise, thanks.

Beans

Re: Starling5 Upgrade to 11.1 unable to log on

Anyone? I can get to the Grub screen and the command line. But don't know what to do next.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chownoir View Post
    Anyone? I can get to the Grub screen and the command line. But don't know what to do next.
    It sounds to me like the upgrade was corrupted while in progress. I would recommend doing an upgrade to 12.10 via a USB drive.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Hi,

Can you point me to how I can do that? I know nothing about how to do an install. Where do I download the right version? After that, what do I do when I plug in the USB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

Can you point me to how I can do that? I know nothing about how to do an install. Where do I download the right version? After that, what do I do when I plug in the USB?
    You can download the latest version from http://www.ubuntu.com

Once you have the LiveUSB made, you will leave it in the machine and restart. When you see the System76 Logo page, press F1 repeatedly to open up the boot menu. From there, choose your USB drive, then wait and follow any instructions on screen.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Hi,

No love. I get the boot menu. I select the USB option,I get
    JMicron JMC26x fast Ethernet controller version 1.0.0.25

Pxe-E61: media test failure, check cable
    Pxe-m0f: exiting PXE rom
    Operating system not found

I'm not sure why I'm getting that as its the second option on the boot menu but I'm not selecting that.

What should I try next?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

No love. I get the boot menu. I select the USB option,I get
    JMicron JMC26x fast Ethernet controller version 1.0.0.25

Pxe-E61: media test failure, check cable
    Pxe-m0f: exiting PXE rom
    Operating system not found

I'm not sure why I'm getting that as its the second option on the boot menu but I'm not selecting that.

What should I try next?
    What is the USB drive listed as in the boot menu? Also, did you copy Ubuntu to the USB drive using the "Startup Disk Creator" app?
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Hi,

Followed all the instructions on the site to set up a bootable stick and I got the laptop up and running.

However, even though I selected the upgrade and not replace option, it looks like I wiped out my entire system! .

I don't have any of documents, photos, etc. Any idea if there's even the vaguest of a chance that it's possible to recover. I double checked each selection to make sure I would keep all and not replace.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

Followed all the instructions on the site to set up a bootable stick and I got the laptop up and running.

However, even though I selected the upgrade and not replace option, it looks like I wiped out my entire system! .

I don't have any of documents, photos, etc. Any idea if there's even the vaguest of a chance that it's possible to recover. I double checked each selection to make sure I would keep all and not replace.
    Go ahead and open the File Browser (Home Folder icon in the launcher on the left). Once it's open, press Ctrl+l, then type this in:

Code:
    /home
    followed by enter. Tell me if there are any folders listed there.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I saw two home folders. Opened up the older one and all my files were in there! Awesome, thanks so much!

I created two profiles then? Is the best way just to copy the files in the old profile into the new one I'm logging into now?

Thanks for all the patience, I'm slowly learning here and not afraid to poke as you can see, I just need to know where to look for directions so I can figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast