Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New install of ubuntu 12.04.3 32bit, running from dvd it works but not if i install.

Beans

New install of ubuntu 12.04.3 32bit, running from dvd it works but not if i install.

I am trying to revive an older intel 2.8 w/ HT and an MSI 915p neo2 motherboard. 2 gigs of ram. I just got a NVidia GeForce gt 610 for it. If I run the OS from the disk without installing it works fine. But if I install it . I get a 12.04 splash but it then goes dark but not in powersave. I have tried multiple fresh clean installs.

Searched around and found out about hitting ctrl alt f1 to get it in text mode. when I do this, I briefly see the text login screen but it goes blank again.

While highly skilled in the windows environment it does me no good here. What can I do or try to get someplace to test or get answers needed for troubleshooting.

again it will load if I run it from the install disk without install, but I do need to do a nomodeset at the little man screen to get to the install window or it too goes to a blank screen.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: New install of ubuntu 12.04.3 32bit, running from dvd it works but not if i insta

This is a very low-end system and it won't run Ubuntu very well if at all. The limited resources may be why the system is choking. I would suggest Lubuntu based on your system specs. Try downloading a LiveDVD/USB version of Lubuntu 13.04 32-bit and see if that doesn't solve your graphics issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: New install of ubuntu 12.04.3 32bit, running from dvd it works but not if i insta

I do not agree that this is low-end, on the contrary the GT610 is a great graphics card.

With such new hardware 13.04 is a good choice. You could also try the fairly stable 13.10 beta.

In all cases it's likely that NOMODESET should be a permanent boot option.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post

13.04 does boot, but it is maxing out the cpu. Both cores are at 100% constantly.

How do it get 12.04 to permanently boot with NOMODESET?

• How do it get 12.04 to permanently boot with NOMODESET?

• When you get to the first menu, instead of starting the install, you have to hit and F#. Forget which one it is. It sayss something like options.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I do not agree that this is low-end, on the contrary the GT610 is a great graphics card.

With such new hardware 13.04 is a good choice. You could also try the fairly stable 13.10 beta.

I was more concerned with his CPU/MB/DRAM. It is probably a single core hyperthreaded P4. I have a similar CPU and MB combo in an old HP. Granted, my graphics card is not as good as the OP's, but I found that Lubuntu ran well whereas Ubuntu yielded only a black screen. But I'm happy to defer to your knowledge and experience.

@OP

mörgæs is a forum guru and knows what he is talking about. If you want to try alternatives, it is easy these days with a LiveDVD/USB, so feel free to experiment on your own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    When you get to the first menu, instead of starting the install, you have to hit and F#. Forget which one it is. It sayss something like options.[/INDENT][*][/LIST]
    Ok yes, that part I know, instead of installing I get to the first menu , its f6 and hit select NOMODESET but how do I get it to do this after install? How do I permanently set it to that?

Edit: never mind found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 , a little cryptic but as soon as I get off work , will try this out for setting it permanently.

thanks
    Last edited by azsheepdog; September 28th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have old nVidia 9600GT and have to use nomodeset to install and first boot, but then immediately install the nVidia proprietary drivers and have no issues.

I have done it from both command line & from system settings. Older versions drivers was a separate icon in system settings, newer versions have it as a tab in all the other updates.

Re: How To Install Nvidia Drivers [v8.1.2.12 by Bogan]. post 1126
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...43535&page=113
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081649
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I was more concerned with his CPU/MB/DRAM. It is probably a single core hyperthreaded P4. I have a similar CPU and MB combo in an old HP. Granted, my graphics card is not as good as the OP's, but I found that Lubuntu ran well whereas Ubuntu yielded only a black screen. But I'm happy to defer to your knowledge and experience.

@OP

mörgæs is a forum guru and knows what he is talking about. If you want to try alternatives, it is easy these days with a LiveDVD/USB, so feel free to experiment on your own.

While its not the best, I can run 12.04 from dvd without any issues, I was able to load up firefox, install flash, played a youtube video at 720p and everything ran great. So I think I have enough system resources for 12.04 it just will not boot up if I actually install it. I run 13.04 from dvd and its super slow, capped cpu. installing is no better, capped, cpu but it actually does load.

So I would like to get 12.04 running. it seems to be more optimized.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The fact that both cores are maxed out suggests that we're dealing with a relatively new graphics board married to an inadequate mobo. The OP's system runs a 2.8Ghz P4 w/hyperthreading, so we have only one physical core that supports 2 threads. Under these circumstances I would choose Lubuntu over Ubuntu. Also what kind of RAM is in the box? I hope it's DDR.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast