Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: System Restore

Beans

Re: System Restore

Quote Originally Posted by stevescripts View Post
    LaRoza

Sounds like (yet another) worthwhile effort. Keep up the good work!

Steve
    I hope to make it useful.

I am making it have two modes, one for root, and one for user. Adding GUI after, trying to get a good design. This time, I am going to think it through a bit, and not use the development method I normally use.

(Still haven't gone to bed....)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well good like with that!

I was seeking all day long for a linux/ubuntu sowtware which could be used to restore my system on ubuntu gutsy and there wasn't anything like that on internet, of course excluding backup programs but that's only backup, as you've mentioned before.

Although, there was a guide for making a system backup and restore using a command shell, you might want to take a look at it...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81311

Cheers

Beans

That command is overkill.

The restore files that my program makes are small, less than 5 kb at the moment.

I am attempting to mimic the Windows System Restore.

If you have had to or wanted to Restore you system, what settings caused the issue? (So I can make sure my app addresses that issue)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

apt-get sources would be nice...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bschleusner View Post
    apt-get sources would be nice...
    Ok

Added it now.

Beans

The development so far:

Most of the basics are down, except, the ability to actually restore. I am saving that for a VM, because it will have to overwrite files I'd rather keep and don't want to test it with. The creation of restore points is easy and functional, and the ability to create two different types of restore points, and choice to restore from them and view and select restore points is working.

The next thing is the GUI.

I want it to work easily on Ubuntu, so I am going towards Tkinter (don't flame), and might just use EasyGUI for now, if it has one feature I want.

It generates a list of restore points that are found, and I want to make them selectable. A bullet list would be ideal. Is there an simple way to make a widget that allows a user to select from a list? Hopefully, a pre built solution. I don't like making GUI's, because they are boring, and I actually like command line input and output.

Beans

I just turned up this post after a search on "system restore ". I was looking for just such an app since I finished reinstalling everything about an hour ago. I totally hosed my system attempting to install cairo dock and couldn't reconfigure xserver. I just manually copied the fstab and xorg files to my home folder (different partition) with .safe extensions. A utility with a one keystroke solution and multiple restore points would have helped immensely. Good luck with it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
    I just turned up this post after a search on "system restore ". I was looking for just such an app since I finished reinstalling everything about an hour ago. I totally hosed my system attempting to install cairo dock and couldn't reconfigure xserver. I just manually copied the fstab and xorg files to my home folder (different partition) with .safe extensions. A utility with a one keystroke solution and multiple restore points would have helped immensely. Good luck with it!
    It is almost operational, not bad for one day (night) and accidently deleting my source file...

I see all that you listed is already part of it, I am going to add support for KDE and Xubuntu as well, easy to do. I just need to find out the all the configuration directories to use.

Beans

Updates:

* It is pretty functional, except for actually restoring.
    * I am adding a GUI to most of it, unfortunately, my design requires it to be modified, so it is half GUI and half CLI

It will need people to test it soon, any takers? The biggest flaw will be the UI, I am no expert in such designs and rather dislike coding GUI's, so it is a clunky design. If anyone would want to make it pretty after looking at, go ahead. The one requirement is that it uses Tkinter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I like creating GUIs, but I can only create them in Java.. as far as I understand you use Python.
    I find your idea very interesting (and useful), and I guess you're right that we need a restore program rather than a backup one (which would require way too much space to be efficient)
    I would like it to restore (in a user friendly way) at least these:
    1) /etc/fstab
    2) /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    3) the Gnome settings from my HOME directory (file associations, etc)
    62°23′30″N 145°09′0″W
    ёёмаёё..

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast