View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

I know people will say "you can change it", "who keeps the default wallpaper" etc but do you know what, with Hardy I did. The default wallpaper for Hardy is gorgeous and non-Ubuntu users would peer over my shoulder and comment on how pretty the wallpaper was.
    Exactly. I think a lot of people are missing the point. It's not about how easy it is to change the wallpaper or theme, or whether Ubuntu's brown colour should or should not be the default. The point is, Hardy looks really nice out of the box. I also found people would comment on the nice background. There are some wallpapers floating about here like the carved Ibex one that would look great as the Ibex background. The project has an art team. The general response here is pretty negative. So why have they gone with this? If someone could answer that for me, I would give them a cookie.

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozor Mox View Post
    The project has an art team. The general response here is pretty negative. So why have they gone with this? If someone could answer that for me, I would give them a cookie.
    This is a coporate-level collaborative project.

Hence, it's not about what the "general response" is here; that's not how collaborative teams work.
    I know you don't LIKE that answer, but that IS the answer nonetheless.

/Oatmeal Raisin, or Peanut Butter, please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is a coporate-level collaborative project.

Hence, it's not about what the "general response" is here; that's not how collaborative teams work.
    I know you don't LIKE that answer, but that IS the answer nonetheless.
    I understand that they won't be looking at these forums for an opinion on the artwork (though I think they should), but I mean if the general response here is as negative as it is (probably 70-80% disapproval I'd say), you'd think that an art team for such a major project would look at this and also say... "Hmm, yeah actually this is quite naff isn't it. If the community can make something so much nicer, surely we are capable of it too?" ... I mean, I could make that background, and if I admit to that, then it can't be a good thing! I'm just finding it really hard to get my head around them thinking that this is a) better than Hardy and b) anywhere near up to the sort of quality that Ubuntu offers across everything else.

/Oatmeal Raisin, or Peanut Butter, please.
    You'll get a second if you have a good answer to my reply

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I understand that they won't be looking at these forums for an opinion on the artwork (though I think they should)
    I agree with your thinking that the forums could provide an excellent resource for consideration.

...but I mean if the general response here is as negative as it is (probably 70-80% disapproval I'd say), you'd think that an art team for such a major project would look at this and also say... "Hmm, yeah actually this is quite naff isn't it. If the community can make something so much nicer, surely we are capable of it too?"
    Right, I don't what "naff" means, but I'm getting the impression it means ugly or poorly executed? I get your point at any rate. The core of the issue here is that the forums are not a source of input for the Development Team. They just aren't. Should they be? That's a debatable question, and we could debate it, but the short answer here remains the same: These forums are not a source of input for the Development Team. Does that defy logic? I can see how you might think so.

On a project as big as this is, the Development Team HAS to isolate itself to varying degrees at different points in the developmental process in order to make progress. Reason being is if that does NOT happen (non-isolation) the constant inflow of new ideas will prevent ANY idea from being fully realized. And this is especially true for purely artistic projects. That's just the way these things work. It sucks to have to use that phrase, but I have to exercise a certain degree of brevity, eh? Why so especially for an artistic project?

Because everything artistic is, in short, a matter of "taste"; it's an entirely subjective thing. There is no "right" answer or any "wrong" answer. Further, Ubuntu has identified itself with a certain aesthetic: the earth tones are the best example of this probably. You're not going to see Ubuntu move away from the "s--t brown", as some people refer to it, and the yellows and oranges and such. Like it or no, Ubuntu is an African word and the colors and "branding" of Ubuntu now and in the future are going to follow along those lines. Simple as that. The choice, I think, represents the idea that Ubuntu (or Linux) is different. It looks different because it IS different. It wants to "scream", "NOT Windows!!" and too this effect does so at a very basic level of distinction - the color scheme. And the name of course... Both of which go hand-in-hand for an overall marketing strategy.

If you want to change THESE aspects of Ubuntu you'll need to get yourself elected to the board of Canonical.

... I mean, I could make that background, and if I admit to that, then it can't be a good thing! I'm just finding it really hard to get my head around them thinking that this is a) better than Hardy and b) anywhere near up to the sort of quality that Ubuntu offers across everything else.
    I understand what you're saying here. A desktop wallpaper is nothing "complex" from an artistic standpoint. Creating something everyone on the Team can agree on is another. I look at a Jackson Pollock painting and say "Shoot... I could have done that." Why does a Pollock sell for millions while mine don't?

Sorry to "cop out" with a rhetorical like that, but it's lunchtime for me.

Beans

Remember that Ubuntu is not a democracy. As it says on the Artwork wiki:
    The decisions are made by our Self Appointed Benevolent Dictator for all final say and direction for the default artwork in the Ubuntu product.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's ******* horrible.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good points well made Therion. I'd like to reiterate that I don't think Ubuntu needs to rebrand itself or change its default look from the current colour scheme. I just look at this wallpaper they have chosen for Ibex and think, surely that can't be the best they can do? They chose this over some of the vastly superior community produced alternatives? Doesn't Ubuntu deserve better than this? They must have some kind of secret plan to unveil an amazing looking wallpaper or theme right at the last minute? Right? RIGHT?!

Still, what they decide on is what it is I suppose, we will see.
    Last edited by Ozor Mox; October 1st, 2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: I can't use grammar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The OP and the poll don't really match. I voted to keep Human, because I like it, but think the new wallpaper is terrible. Massive step back from Hardy.

Here's hoping they're going to surprise us with the "real" wallpaper in between now and final release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I love earth tones. I just think the art-team doesn't implement them correctly. Look at this site, has the same earth tones, but it doses them correctly. So the brown doesn't feel like it's closing in on you.
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans

By the way, what exactly do people dislike about the wallpaper? Most posters here just say "Nasty, * is better". I thought it was nice and simple... *shrugs*

Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast