Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

it would be nice if they had options other than pay pal.
    There's nothing wrong with that—this is the open source world, after all, and many people contribute to Ubuntu with code rather than money. But starting this week, Canonical is presenting desktop OS downloaders with an optional donation form.
    http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...untu-is-worth/
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

I think its a good thing, as Canonical isn't just asking for donations for donations sake. Your donations go toward the features and components you feel need the most attention.
    Some people will say it is a sign that Canonical is in a desperate situation, but I'm not so sure. I find it an interesting concept, in that now I feel I might have a tiny say in the overall ecosystem of Ubuntu, from the design to the packages installed and so forth.
    Now is it a ploy because they're losing too much money, and are on the brink of collapse? I don't know, but let the crazy rumormill begin anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can see a lot of people will balk at the idea of paying but I guess they have to keep the lights on somehow. $16 is pretty good going but I would expect an OS where I didn't have to worry about compatibility at all if I was paying, call that snarky if you will...

But on the other hand perhaps additional revenue will ensure this in the future? Greasing those wheels...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If folks think they are doing good, Invest in them.

I myself see Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Personally i believe in competition, that stated, who has a better product?

A few Dollars can certainly line someones pockets, However they will work harder for more of it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I think its a good thing, as Canonical isn't just asking for donations for donations sake. Your donations go toward the features and components you feel need the most attention.
    Some people will say it is a sign that Canonical is in a desperate situation, but I'm not so sure. I find it an interesting concept, in that now I feel I might have a tiny say in the overall ecosystem of Ubuntu, from the design to the packages installed and so forth.
    Now is it a ploy because they're losing too much money, and are on the brink of collapse? I don't know, but let the crazy rumormill begin anyway.
    It's both. Canonical IS in a desperate situation, but at the same time if they were going to ask for money, this is the best way to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I'm going to chuck £20 their way.

I've used Ubuntu since 7:04 (Feisty) and it's served me well.

Beans
    Hidden!

I see nothing wrong with this, where's gnome?

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    It's both. Canonical IS in a desperate situation, but at the same time if they were going to ask for money, this is the best way to do it.

I would not think it IS a case of desperation. The company, according to wikipedia, has an annual revenue of 30 million in 2009. They are also continuing to hire more people. When Apple introduces another potential revenue source would one label it 'desperation'?

Is this different? Yes, clearly it is. It was inspired by the Humble Indie Bundle and is a great idea IMHO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    I would not think it IS a case of desperation.
    I don't think it is either, but this along with the Amazon thing just seem like the kind of quick'n'easy attempts to monetize a distro that you'd expect from some one-man respin.

I'm not saying it's wrong, or that it won't make them some money, or that they don't deserve to get some money back on what they do. It's just ... they're a multi-million-dollar corporation. It's like a lawyer having a tip jar, or a stock-broker selling magazine subscriptions.

Beans

Mark and Canonical have sunk a lot of money into ubuntu and a considerable amount of people have benefited. It is about time some money went the other way.
    This account is not active.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast